Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Sizaire1

Sizaire1

I had posted this as a new thread, and several guys jumped on me by PM to put this post here.

Need some advice. Restoring a highly documented sprint car and have the option of restoring the car back to its beginnings using a Hisso 4 cylinder or the engine it ended its career with, a Hal DOHC. I got the car with the Hal and only after starting the rebuild of that motor did I come up with the Hisso. This car has been pictured on various HAMB posts by others. The car still has the original sheet metal with the exception of the nose. In the end, there will be one cool engine looking for a home.

Thanks for your thoughts....
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

2. parrot

parrot
    from Colorado

Josh, thanks for posting those old photos of Curly Doggett and his sprinter. Curly was my home town hero in Sidney, NE and he had me pinstripe it when he painted it his customary purple with a white #5. I believe that was 1959. Wondered if you had the photos you posted dated since I'm not sure the striping shown here is my work. Don't remember putting that much on and the mural, done by my buddy, of a "Purple People Eater" just ahead of the hood side louvers is missing. Would like to find a photo of that. Of course my vote would be to retore it to the car that Curly drove. There was a rumor many years ago that this car had been run as a super modified at Englewood Speedway in the Denver area. Don't know if there is anything to that.

3. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

It appears Ernie passed away in March.
    Will see what we can do with your info. thanks.

4. Sizaire1

Sizaire1

More shots of the #22 Hisso. Kind of cool... I like the picture of Clay's wife.

Attached Files:

5. baldtireman

baldtireman

Too Bad. He was a really good "shoe". Maybe his buddy,Don Albritton,or Don's son,Gary,from Canton,Ohio???? John S.:(

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The vintage shots of that Hisso are almost as neat as the car...That kind of documentation would make it kind of a no brainer to me...But which part of it's history means the most to you? Aren't those Hisso motors cut down from aircraft units? Really neat stuff that has to be exceedingly rare, nice whatever you decide.

7. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Corndog has posted a thread about stumbling across this sprint car in a warehouse has a few more photos posted.....Rich

Attached Files:

9. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Great weekend at the Phoenix Mile! Lots of sunshine and laptime on a great track.
    Here are a few pix of car owner and HAMBer, "umbrella" carl s, wheeling his #15 Boyle Valve Spl.:cool:
    Had a nice chat with HAMBer, Sprintcar 10, who lives in Phoenix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

1. Rabs32 and others. It's a small world, Corndog, that has the sprinter for sale is my college roomate's.. DAD! Mr. Williams (to me) :D Anyways, he's a straight shooter, and a good guy. He comes up with some GOOD stuff as you can see.

2. PAVEMENT ENDS- I've been told a couple different reasons. The one that makes the most sense is it protected the tube from rock chips that would make it hard to get the center section bearings and races on and off, (most I've seen step down, so I'm not sure I buy that) ...another reason is to prevent rust. (but it seems that the tape would trap water..?)

3. On the Bowles #22 car. I vote you put it back to the original look for two reasons... A. The Bowles history is GOOD history, good drivers, good tracks, and the Bowles name is good. B. It's beautiful like that!

Here are some pics of it you've seen all ready. You and I have talked, I look forward to seeing the old girl come back to life! Thanks for sharing!

Attached Files:

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

4. Parrot- I LOVE THE STRIPPING ON THE CAR IN THOSE SHOTS!! My dad and I, (both pinstrippers) have studied those pics, and wondered who stripped it!

The pics are not dated, but I may have more. I'll check.

Great stuff guys! Keep it all coming!!!!

J Shaw

12. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I have to post this story: The late Sonny Ates and the late Bernie Graybeal (Jim's brother) were talking old times when Bernie asked Sonny about an incident at Winchester.

Sonny was running the USAC Sprints and Bernie had hitched a ride to the races with Sonny. It seems it was a rather rough day at Winchester with a number of accidents, ambulance runs, etc. During a red flag Bernie came out on the track and asked Sonny where the car keys were. Sonny replied in my pocket, why? Bernie says 'Cause your going to get your self hurt or killed and I'll need a ride home. Don't you love listening to old racers "bench race"?

Blackie-Suede

13. Sizaire1

Sizaire1

[

3. On the Bowles #22 car. I vote you put it back to the original look for two reasons... A. The Bowles history is GOOD history, good drivers, good tracks, and the Bowles name is good. B. It's beautiful like that!

Here are some pics of it you've seen all ready. You and I have talked, I look forward to seeing the old girl come back to life! Thanks for sharing![/QUOTE]

Josh, thanks! The photo of Corbitt sitting on the car is a new one. and the best so far showing the engine. The crankcase is a Hisso V8 crankcase with the bottom of the cut flat, where the original went to a point. Just like the motor I have. The Hal should be running in the next week in a stand, or probably the car. Will post more as it happens.

14. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Looks like an old "Lloyd Shores" car to me. Lloyd built a number of sprint cars in the 70's. With owners names and driver name on the car history should be fairly easy to trace. To new for me, but old enough to be vintage. I believe $1800 is a steal.

Balcki-Suede

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Time for SHOW AND TELL!!

Mike Stryker sent this PACE SETTER body to me to paint. I took FOREVER on it cause my summer has been packed, but it's back in his hands now and was well worth the wait!

Attached Files:

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sorry, I posted the wrong DASH shot.. I used a DIME to draw the circle for the TACH. It's kinda small.

Attached Files:

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Josh, that Is "AWSOME". Now I have to get one or make one of those bodies to make my 1/4 scale to look like a late '70's early '80's sprinter,Again beautiful job.....Rich

Attached Files:

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Josh, you continue to impress...

19. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Rich ..

Me thinks that these beautiful "Pacesetter" radio controlled sprint cars were produced in the mid 1980's and finding one would be as hard as finding hens teeth, plus most probably would be quite expensive, as they're considered collectable by types like us.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE.

I too would LOVE to have one.

20. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Ken,I kinda had that feeling,mine was from the late '80's,A local hobby shop traded me the sprint car for painting a 1/4 scale funny car for them. So I'm probably going to do it old school and shape it out of aluminum,just have to dig out my old photos for nose and hood ideas. Also talked with Courtwright the other nite about going to Stan's party in two weeks, hopefully we'll see you there. Josh,thanks for the inspiration,Again Beautiful job.....Rich

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

They are out there. I asked around a while back about finding one. Got good responses. anywhere from $500 - $1500 depending on how complete. (I couldn't swing it)

Good luck!

J Shaw

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

23. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

Ken,
    Pacesetter Sprintcars were the 1st 1/4 scale RC cars and were produced by Jeff Schmidt out of California, starting in 1979 through to about 1985ish. Jeff reckons he built approx 50 or so in either complete cars or kits.That makes them pretty thin on the ground.
    They are out there though....
    This is mine that was found in San Antonio Texas last year. It's brand new, never been run. It now has pride of place in my family room, down here in Sydney Australia.
    Just as an aside....7 of these wonderful cars were imported into Australia in the early 1980s.....and do you think I can find any of them!!!!
    [​IMG]

24. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

While we are on 1/4 scale, thought this may be of interest.
    I'm in the process of restoring/rebuilding a Jan Gilmer 1/4 scale midget.
    Came to Australia 20 years ago and I finally tracked it down in March this year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Approx 120 of these midgets have been produced over the last 25 years.
    The current models sell for $4000/ $5000.

25. dguitard

dguitard

The Hank Arnold built "Twister" super modified configured as a sprint car for an El Centro, California CRA race. Gene "Manzanita Tiger" Brown driving and owner Skeet Gibson with crew. I am guessing about 1965 or so.

Attached Files:

26. dguitard

dguitard

Another pic of the Hank Arnold built Twister in its original configuration. This pic is from about 1964-'65 shortly after Hank sold the car to Skeet Gibson of Phoenix. I am pretty sure Gene Brown was doing the driving. Later on Bob Huebner from Tucson took over the driving. Thanks to Billy Gibson for both photos.

Attached Files:

27. And I thought 1:1 scale sprint cars were cool.......those models are unreal......

28. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

At the time when I got mine there were guys building 1/4 scale V/8's and quickchange rears for them,They were just to expensive for my budget at the time.....Rich

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Another famous "convertible" car out of Tucson was the ECCA car. Played no small part in the careers of Roger McCluskey, Don Davis and Bobby/Al Unser.

Attached Files:

30. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Neat pic Rootie..I believe that's Jerry Coons Sr. on the left.