Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Aluminium Riley roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I thought I would start a build thread for one of the specials I build. Its not a hot rod so if you think this is not the right sort of thing for the HAMB please let me know. I have done a number of these cars over the years.

In a way hot rods are distant cousins to these cars. Its said that hot rodding came about because there were no sports cars in the US and so Americans modified the cars that were available to make them more like the sports cars and race cars built in Europe. Not everyone in England could afford a sports or racing car either so the 'Special' was created by back yard builders in the same way as hot rods were in the US.
    In England we never had many roadsters or coupes, cars like this are normally made from a saloon (sedan) car (more door) The body gets thrown out and the chassis gets shortened. Not too many thirties cars had V8 engines here in blighty either.

These 'Specials' can be based on just about anything but the one in the photo is based on a Riley 9 Chassis. It was built for the first time in the fifties, when it came to me it had no body because it had been remove at some time in the past. The chassis was shortened, I am not sure what the wheelbase was now but it was a bit too short really.

[​IMG]

Ok Like I said I intend to do a build thread but if it not right for the HAMB feel free to tell me.

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

its beautiful car , if i had half that tallent id build a bugatti replica

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love it... Please post your progress!

4. llonning

llonning

I wouldn't mind having one of those myself!!

5. Yea that should be somewhere else for sure. My garage would be a good place to start. ;)

I still like sports cars, I'll probably not have one any thime soon but they are definately something that all real rodders should have on the list.

That one is pretty sweet. I'll be watching for future installments.

6. Very nice! I have your video and it is wonderful. I would love to see more of these "specials."

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I will post more photos soon.
    I forgot to say but the photo above is of the body in bare aluminium.

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I am glad you liked the DVD.

The car below is another I built, its not a Special but a race car that is an exact replica of the car that won the 1912 French Grand Prix, It is a Sunbeam. It is the sister car the to original car, the original has been modified a lot over the years so this is closer to the proper thing. The car is in bare ally in this photo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Not a lot different than a Ford T or A track roadster...beautiful work. Show us more.:D

10. cruzr

cruzr

great craftmanship

11. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

You do some awesome work!

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice... Please do post more!!

Malcolm

13. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the kind comments I am feeling like it should be OK to post this now.

Tim Just looked at your site, you do some pretty impressive work yourself! you have a realy nice workshop too.

14. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

15. WOW i just hope i can get a 1/4 as good as you are when i get older i will definatley invest in your dvd i love working with metal luckily the college course im on they've got a wheeling machine and some pretty decent tools so been making side projects for my roadster

16. Beautiful work, as always, what about some build up pics of the 23-25T Roadster body you made or the 23-25T Tot Rod body or the hand made 32 chassis rails??? or the
    SS100 grille shells, c'mon Dave show us more!!!

17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Mindover,

For once, I gotta disagree with one of your posts! This thing is HOT, and it is a ROD! If this isn't a true hot rod, than all those 350/350 9'' ''Yawnmobiles"' should be broken up for parts.

I've gotta admit, I'm kinda a coachbuilt anything ''junkie" and have always had a major ''jones'' for a Railton .

Thanx for the post,

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Pat Cheers!.

VonMerkin what college are you at?.

Pimpkin Paint, I suppose someone has to agree with the things I say! lol. Glad you like the Riley.

Bob My Friend, I will need to get this thread done first! Most of the photos of this special are on the computer at my workshop so it will take a couple of days.

David

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Found a photo of the Sunbeam painted. I have to say I only made the body on this car, everything else was done by others.
    [​IMG]

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, incredibly cool cars! Very nice work!! Let's see more, please. This is seriously good stuff.

21. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Putting light bodies on higher output chassis is the definition of a Hot Rod. Beautiful work. Please keep the updates coming.

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

cool stuff, definitely relevant!

23. just at central sussex college in Crawley doing a welding and fab level 2 it includes a fair bit of sheet metal work,

i was lucky enough that i worked with Marco for a year when i got out of school so ive got some experience under my belt,

not like most kids are just sticking two bits of metal together because the teacher says so im thinking of what i could be making and using the techniques for and there store cupboard has come in handy for metal on my model A

24. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys I will post more soon.

Vonmerkin.

Marco is a good guy. its nice to see a young person interested in this stuff over here, It seems to be the domain of people my age. Marco is young in the hot rod world in England. The welding and fabrication is worth learning but the techniques for coach building are completely different.

David

25. i would love to get into the coach building side of things but i feel i maybe pissing in the wind so to speak so the welding and fabrication is at least somthing to fall back on atleast but then a job all together is a good start i better get looking again haha

Harley

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

GOOD STUFF! I've always liked the Vintage racers you guys in the UK put together. I painted a 1933 Riley IMP years ago, just a great looking car, something very nice looking about the upswept frame rails.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work, keep posting please. I've been plugging away at building a boat tail roadster and can always use more inspiration.

28. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

David, very nice work. Keep posting, everyone likes to see stuff like this.

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What? No stars yet? I'll do them. Gary

30. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Harley, (great name) its not easy to make a living from coachbuilding, It is too labour intensive.

Larry Thanks for the encouragement! You are always too kind!

Mr 48cheve glad you like it - Inspiration- there is a glut of that on the HAMB I am always amazed by the information and talent on here.

Thanks for the stars Gary. Cool!.

David

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010