Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which way is up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smittythejunkman, Oct 29, 2010.

1. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

HEY I NEED HELP I just bought a steel 32 ford 3 window a couple of weeks ago Its kind of a crude but shiny hot rod
    The top is chopped 2 1/2 inches and a darn nice job at that but the studs/brackets on the posts that position the windshield slides must have been in the way
    I have found all the parts to put them back but do the s shaped slides point up or down on a three window ? theres no other cars to look at in my part of the world has any body got a picture of the inside of the windshield posts on a suicide door deuce?
    By the way this car has a weird old ford engine with spark plugs sticking through the valve covers What the hell?

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

got any pics?

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i would junk the motor .

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Spark plugs sticking up through the valve covers? Thats weird, pull it and put a chevy 350 in. I'd haul off the old engine for ya...

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I don't think you're going to get any answers unless you post some pics of the car!

6. Exactly we don't know you yet but we might know your car.

I'd like to see pics of the mill for sure. I don't think the semi hemi actually had the plugs poking through the rocker cover you shouldn't be able to actually see the plugs you may just have a flatty if you can see the plugs poking out.

But never the less there are quite a few duece guys on here one of them will probably cough up your answer.

You do have one more option and one that I would probably try if it were me. Put the brackets on both ways and see which way works the best. Even if you get them upside down if it works the best you just discovered a new hot rod trick.

I'd say welcome but its going to take me a bit to decide if I like you or not. But don't take it personal I don't like very many people.

7. I call bullshit on this post with no pics! Spark plugs sticking thru the valve covers and doesn't know what it is? Yes I call bullshit here!!

8. Oh yea well I got a low mileage Edsel Alley Ostrich twin screw and dual exhaust mufflers. What do ya think about that? :D

9. Seems strange he's been a member for two years and this is his first post! And a steel '32 3-window with a hemi at that....

10. A Ford hemi, with the plugs sticking out through the rocker covers.

When I was working on the mill in my avitar I discoverd one thing that really toasted me. Those old ford engines sure have a lot of rocker cover bolts. :rolleyes:

11. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

You got hosed on that deal, an engine with holes in the valve covers must be some engineering design mistake, like having the cam shaft positioned over the valves.

To answer your question, If the top is cut on your coupe the stock windshield slide arms will not fit correctly, they are too long. Julianos Interiors offer a shortened version machined out of aluminum for chopped tops. If the previous owner has removed the windshield post dowel you will need to first attach the windshield slide to the windshield frame to determine the swing radius of the dog leg and reposition the dowel so that it will allow the windshield slide arm to rotate. Usually the slide points downward.

12. Dick I didn't know anyone was fabbing slides for a chopped top. That's good info for all of us.

I think you are absolutely right about the design flaw. If it was a good idea they'd still be doing it. :D

13. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

Kansas is only a hop skip and a jump away from Louisiana I'll trade you a really nice 1980 CJ7 for that rat rod some one sold you and I will make it a respectable Traditional Hot rod.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A picture is worth a thousand inches.

15. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

Thanks Dick thats the help I needed

16. I'm closer can I have your front and rear axles for my Willys. I'd hate to see you get cheated on an old junker like that.

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Guys, I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic about the car having a FLATHEAD in it. Anyhow, about those pics! Let's see this thing!

18. Flathead??? Junk that thing.

Yea I'd like to see it myself. I know the question has already been answered but I just like to look.

BTW did they make a rear engine Ford in '38? I was thinking about buying a '38 and when you open the hood there isn't anything in there. :rolleyes:

19. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

OK this car may only be my Imagination but
    I found it on craigslist a few weeks ago
    It was built by a heck of a nice guy in south Carolina
    Its a nice build on a pretty good old southern car and looks like it will be alot of fun to drive once I tweak and tune on it a little
    I intend to upgrade the motor mounts, chassis and brakes to handle the cammer a little better In the process I will test fit a 8BA flat head and decide weather some bolt in mounts will be practical
    No matter how cool a sohc motor is In the end a V8 ford car has only one of two kinds of motors either a flathead or just 'other'
    by the way I need side window Garnish moldings for this car and a dual quad air cleaner base for a sohc or tunnel port 427 (holes are spaced out farther for dual metering plate holleys ) can any body help ?

Attached Files:

• 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      534 KB
      Views:
    • 052.jpg
      052.jpg
      File size:
      548 KB
      Views:
    • 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      537.4 KB
      Views:
    • 049.jpg
      049.jpg
      File size:
      519.8 KB
      Views:
    • 053.jpg
      053.jpg
      File size:
      528 KB
      Views:
    • 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      538.6 KB
      Views:
  20. slicksona66

slicksona66
    from Lincoln Ne

that thing is 110 percent wicked...

21. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uhm... wow. Nice.

22. Yea I'd probably replace the engine with a 100 hp motor myself.
    I can't see the entire build but it sure looks good from here. And I do appreciate the pics. made my day.

BTW if you support the underprivelidged I would sure take a donation of a rare ford engine when you decide to detune that puppy. :D

Benno

23. Hell that thing is in my imagination also! I'm not a Ford guy but hell I would love to have that motor or even a BOSS 429.

24. Wow, that car SOHCs...:D

Nice find. Why dump the injection?

25. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

Tuning hilborn is supposed to quite difficult for the street this thing is plumb scary when you open it up and idles fine but it runs shitty in between .I have every intention of giving it a try or considering the hilborn electronic conversion but to keep it simple for now and I hate to try to tune on 10 things at once im going to slip the factory dual 4bbl set up back on . also with a 427 and a flat stock firewall this thing is wall to wall engine and the extra room the hilborn pump on the accessory drive takes up is more room than I have to work with . so with carbs I get to move the engine forward a half inch an put the radiatior back in the stock location so the hood fits . but when I grow some balls and get the time I got to try the hilborn injection

26. 65 impala

65 impala