Register now to get rid of these ads!

Duesenberg Coupe Simone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KrisKustomPaint, Oct 28, 2010.

1. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Any one have any info about this car beyond what is available on wikipedia, which is the same info given by frankin mint? Or the other two duesenbergs built between 1937 -1940?

There is mention of a picture of the Simone coupe in 1940 but I haven't been able to find the actual picture. Just pictures of the Model that was supposed to be made with the original blue prints.

2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

3. Weasel

Weasel

If you mean the thing that looks like a plagiarized Phantom Corsair - wasn't this a figment of someone's imagination sometime recently and only built as a styling exercise/scale model?

[​IMG]

4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I'm pretty certain that is exactly what happened. The stylist were tasked with creating the concept for the model company (Franklin Mint or Danbury Mint?)based on what they envisioned the Duesenberg would look like if they had been able to continue in business. There never was such a car actually built! However, had it been built it would have been out-freaking-standing - in my opinion...

5. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here's the actual model.

Attached Files:

6. Nicholson

Nicholson

The Coupe Simone was designed by Raffi Minasian and Roger Hardnock. I just recently emailed Raffi about building a full size car for a client. Nice guy, to respond back to my email.

As quoted from Raffi's website about the design:
    "Designed with partner Roger Hardnock, as conceived by an unknown coachbuilding team from the past, this concept was historically and creatively interpreted into this unique art deco era concept. Coupe Simone has been featured on Speed Vision Network, World of Wheels, and published in Automobile magazine. In 1998 the design was licensed for manufacture with Franklin Mint Precision Models in 1:24 scale."

7. Looks like they got some serious inspiration from the Figoni et Filaschi "teardrop" Talbot Lago...
    [​IMG]

8. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Nicholson: I was just thinking about building a full size version, or at least some thing inspired by this design and a few others, like the saoutchik delahye roadster.
    [​IMG]
    The nose is a bit quirky but as a whole the design is amazing.

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Nicholson,

I'm alittle slow, does this actually mean that someone HAS built this design on a 1.1 scale? The lines look alittle too ''hard & fast'' for a true ''historically interpreted'' 30s design, but I thought the same thing of a Phantom II Rolls Royce built by Jocknee back in the day. Some of the swiss & norweagian coachbuilders had a look all their own, as well.
    That would be a great project ''if'' the right client was involved.

Did you finish the Bugatti rebody?

'' Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

10. Weasel

Weasel

It still looks like a plagiarized Phantom Corsair and that was built in 1938....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    Perhaps to some, but to others,
    "outstandingly freakish"!:eek:

Mart3406
    =======================

12. Nicholson

Nicholson

KrisKustomPaint: Keep me updated if you start a build project like the Saoutchik Delahaye. I'd like to see the progress pics. I agree with with you on the nose of the car. The first time I seen a picture of the car, I hated the look of the front end. But now after looking at lots of pictures its really kind of grown on me. The French had some awesome designs back in the 30's.

Pimpin: As far as I know there has not been a full size version of the Simone built. Raffi explained to me that the car and the name are covered under "trade dress" copyright. He also said that it was his and Rogers goal to eventually see a full size version built, but like he and you said it's a matter of finding the right person. Then getting that person together with the right fabricator and building it true to the concept.
    I'll send you a pm about the Bugatti......

Weasel: I think the car has a lot of similarities to the Phantom Corsair with the added sharp/hard lines on the fenders like maybe the late 40's early 50's Rolls Silver Wraiths.