Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

For sure. It nice to know that peoples love for old cars doesn't start and stop with just Ford. I am looking for a possible "in" to an old 50-60's Ferrari. I haven't figured out how to pay for one just yet and even if I could I probably couldn't maintain it enough to enjoy it. So I turn to adding some of the italian masters details into my builds until I see find that "in". What I need to do (and I know Scooter has an AWD idea up his sleeve) is find a cool powerplant that can serve as motivation to learn how to shape aluminum well enough to build around that engine.

2. Oh we diverge from the thread. I have been after a Devin, in the back of my mind I know I will have to shape one from scratch. These weird lamentations prob belong on DOGFIGHT more than here.

3. Hey! What are you implying anyway?:)

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Tman, THANK YOU! I've always wondered were the Gerry Sherman TALBOT was today, saw it at the Vintage races back in the 1970's. Gerry was one interesting guy, and would fit in on the HAMB if he was still arround. Funny how I can look back and think of these cars hauled around on open trailers pulled with farm pickups and nobody gave it a second thought. I bought a Twin Cam HAL 5Main midget engine from Gerry, think it is still in a project in Florida. Sorry for the hijack Scooter. :D

5. crazy wierd network, thank Ryan not me!

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tman! YES! I love that thing!!! I drool over the pictures often!!! Just a BEAUTIFUL piece of machinery!

Yes! Exactly! I've always been inspired by this type of thing and have always had in my mind to include an essence of these cars in my build without making it obvious. After all, it's an american build car, not a European car, however there was a huge exchange of ideas back and forth between the European and American car industry in the era I'm trying to build to, so I want it to show just a little bit. The dash probably represents that concept as will other things in the interior when it's done... whenever that will be! HAHA! :rolleyes:

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love that commercial! We were sitting there watching TV the other night, and it came on. Just about peed myself! Funny... for the first time in a long time (tired and hungry this morning) I got a donut with my coffee. I thought about that guy and Full Metal Jacket. At least it wasn't a JELLY DOUGHNUT! HAHA! :eek::eek:

The doughnut scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajBBp8rQwsA

All right... Who the hell added all this fluff to an already too long thread? :rolleyes:

8. 73RR

73RR

Funny stuff looking back....not so funny at the time.:p

Oh yeah, get back to work!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No real progress on the car, but in honor of my slight case of burn-out, I worked on some other things. Picked up the shop and re-organized, and I finally built a stand for my crappy HF planishing hammer. I'm going to remake the hammer chassis itself, and I'm sure I'll end up replacing the pneumatic hammer part as well, but this will help with some shaping projects in the mean time till I get the hang of using it and getting a feel for what's needed when I do the modifications for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolled some tubing for the legs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's how it sits...

[​IMG]

Next I need to finish Dan's tubing roller stand so I can get it back to him, and I'm SURE there's other stuff I need to do.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome stuff Scott!!!

11. 73RR

73RR

Scott, the style of, and level of detail in your fab work is amazing!

12. ^that's a pretty cool stand up there.

13. Yeh I'll say it is! It looks a bit like my Roller Hoop! give me a call when you need some help figuring out a good brake system, quick connect rolling caster legs etc. I've got some pretty good Ideas there. www.rollerhoop.com

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Auto Doug... Yeah! Thanks! Needed something right away and I just simply couldn't afford your Roller Hoop system, so had to make something similar. Yours was completely the inspiration, obviously. I'll finish mine one day...

15. Hey great thanks for the recognition, and mention. As simple as a concept that it is, it was a lot of work & effort to get the system perfected to the stage it is and still keep it somewhat affordable. I do expect, and get inspiration from capable build-it-yourself type guys like you, that build rotisseries of their own etc. it lets me know I'm not crazy for thinking outside the norm! Keep up your great work! here are just a few more random pictures of my crazy product!

Attached Files:

16. llonning

llonning

Hey Scooter!!!! Got an update for us?????

17. oj

oj

Scooter, what is it with you and ElPolacko, buying tools and spending a month on reenginnering the stand? Between the two of you theres a couple of villages in cambodia that you have likely put out of business - whats next a portable bead roller powered by a small block chebbie? a plasma cutter with a mirror so you can see who's fucking up? Just joking, we would like an update on that little modified.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wahahaha! You're funny man! :D:D Thanks!

Sorry guys! I've been on a road trip to see family and haven't worked on the car a lick. Our apartment was also remodeled while we were gone, so that has taken some effort to get back in shape. Then family will start showing up on the 18th for the X-mas holiday. I'm down and out for a bit. I'm super charged up to work after seeing some great progress from Dave (Druss32) and Dan's (DodgeRodder) progress on their build. Also, while on the drive, we stopped by Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle, in the Chicago area, and that got me even MORE motivated!!! HRCC is building some really cool stuff and doing some great metal work! I also noticed when I got back that some REALLY great metal shaping is being done in various threads from various people. HUGE motivation! I need that right now!

Ready to get back on it! Just need the time!

Oh... And I got engaged. :D So there's that, too. :eek:

I can't believe I actually thought at one point of my life, that things would eventually slow down... NOT! Exactly the opposite! Things keep getting busier and busier! :eek::eek:

LSJUNIPER likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations!!!!!!! Can she weld and paint?:D

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Congrats to both of you, Scott!

21. So, who's the lucky guy Scooter!?;)

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Holly is the like the raddest girl that side of the Mississippi and I would say in the world if I wasn't contractually obligated to say my wife on this side. Haha!!! She's super supportive and all around rad girl. All my best man, I'm super happy for ya!

I'm stoked for you to get your ass in gear and get back on. I want to hear the engine fire and see the new painted chassis rock as you blip the throttle. It's going to be cool.

23. Hey Scott! Congratulations to you and the soon to be, "Mrs. McRad"!

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the nice wishes! SHE is indeed a very cool chick and is my biggest supporter! She can't weld or paint, but she shows promise! :D

25. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Right on Scott ! That's super cool dude !
    Rob

26. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

She is indeed one very cool girl. If Scott wasn't such a nice guy I just might like her better than him:D:D Not only is she patient and supportive but she is a heck of a lot better looking than he is.:p

Congrats to both of you. You guys truely deserve each other.

Best of luck for the many happy years to come.
    CHEERS!

27. Congrats, great to hear, both on the enthusiasm front and pending marital status, congrats......now hurry up and get that car done for the wedding ;):D

Just wait till ya have kids....;):D:rolleyes::) :D

Now back at it,

Drewfus:)

28. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

The soon to be Holly McRad.:D Bad Tman, BAD!

I'm soooo excited!!

29. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Congrats man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!