Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Funny guy! :rolleyes::D HEY! You still owe me an "update email". I'm patiently waiting... (elevator music playing in background)

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All right... So that last couple days I've been doing some thinking about this "burn out" problem I'm experiencing. To hell with the deadlines I've set for myself. All though I really want to get this thing done ASAP, I've found that I'm actually starting to RESENT the build, a little. I'm almost disgusted with it, on some level. I've decided that I'm going to work on something else for awhile...

I have some sheet metal shaping tools I need to finish building and I have a TIG welder sitting here that I would like to learn how to use, but haven't wanted to spend time with. I also need to machine some small dies for the grille shell insert that I will be building. So those are some things I can work on for a change of pace and also just to get the shop back in order, which will make things easier for building.

In addition to all that, I have some things I need to do before driving across the country for the holidays. So much to do. So little time...

3. Probably a good plan...

I think we've all been there, but few admit it. Sometimes you'll put so much time & energy into a project that when it's finished, you're done with it and tired of looking at it.

Got to get yourself refreshed, and take your mind out of it for a while.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

word!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Want some cheese for that whine?

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch...

...Mr. "I'm afraid of the little snake in my garage and won't go in there for a month now and my wife will have to take care of the snake for me since I'm such a woosie AND finish my '35 for me." ;):p:D:D

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Try going on in the garage and being burnt out on making shit!!!! At least you net cool results and it looks awesome! I sometimes go out there and get burnt out on mocking things up because I can actually make a hot rod!! Hahaha!!!

Just kidding dude, I get it. Deadlines make hot rods less fun. Build at your pace and get on it when you feel inspired.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ophidiophobia or herpetophobia is a recognized medical condition....well probably not. But most would understand. Plus me and the snake are friends now (as long as I don't see him) and we're back to being a hack!

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! I had to put that out there... You know that right? :D By the way, you still owe me a magazine in the mail. Trying to figure out when to shoot Jordy's BSA, also. Might try to shoot it under the pier if HB will let us... We'll chat about that later.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know dude. You just had to point that out.....

So I had to do this.... 5 Scooter heads!!!!
    [​IMG]

11. 73RR

73RR

Taking a break to evaluate where you are and where you want to be is not a bad thing...in fact, it is a smart thing! Maybe spending a few hours staring at that Poncho will get you on track.

Oh, by the way, if you really get tired of the Murray, I've got a trailer and can be on the road in about an hour...:D

Gary

12. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Scooter Don't feel compelled to work on it if you don't feel like it. Take heed of what JJ said, work on it when inspired. If you force yourself to work on it, it ceases to be fun and you will resent the project, as you already found out. When the Anti-donut crew gives you crap, just remind them of how much better yours will look. Remember, working on these cars is supposed to be fun.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH NO! That last thing I should do is look at the Pontiac! HAHA! Every day when I walk to my car through the lot, I SWEAR I can hear her calling out to me... :eek: Just even pulling the tarp off to make sure it's not getting wet is terrible! :eek:

I've really been itching to make the buck for the roof insert, also. Maybe it's time to do a little Bob Villa work...

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate you.

You're such a ONE-UPPER...
    :rolleyes:

15. I drank beer and looked at my Tudor last night.......topped it off with a bacon wrapped fish fillet sammich on rye. Prob do the same tongiht then bolt the rear bones on.

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfect evening! HAHA!

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There's really nothing like working on a car that you don't have to. Ever wonder why it's so much more fun to help your friends on their cars and why you get so much more accomplished when you do? It's because of the lack of pressure on your shoulders. My most favorite thing to do is sit out in a clean garage with some music going and some of the superfluous signage setting the mood all while drinking a coffee and planning the next attack or looking at progress already made. Maybe you get some stuff done maybe you don't but the time is never wasted.

Sure I'd like to have a car driving as much as the next guy but I'm not going to sacrifice my vision just to get it on the road and probably rush to the next project. Enjoy the time because if you don't.....it's just work and you already have a job so why make another for yourself.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly! Well said Jeffy Cakes!

19. 1oldrat

1oldrat

20. Blistering pace!

Seriously though, also went grocery shopping, worked late, put the kid to bed. Some nights you just get less done on the car and more on the life.

21. Exactly.

My job is what facilitates the things I do with my family and in the garage (hobby).

My family and hobby are what keeps me sane enough to do my job.

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

23. Sexy huh Brent?

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yes, sir! So many details. I'm not sure a taller guy like me could fit, but I'd love to give it a go.

25. Dont want to derail Scotts thread but cars like this have been in the back of my mind for 25 years (I am 41 now). I have hauled around a Sports Car Graphic from 83 with the Delage 27 GP winner with many of the same details. Details rock and these cars were TOPS in details. To a fault even.

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think Scott pulled much inspiration from these cars. As long as I have been friends with him we have exchanged ideas about how to add touches of these cars into Hot Rods with out losing the spirit of the Hot Rod. We have been through just about every detail and where it would looks best and it's finish.

I would love to eventually build one of these cars like the 49 Talbot-Lago. I just just see pulling out of my driveway in one and basting down the backroads!!! That would rule.

27. I find it comforting that there is a group of us that seem to be keyed into stuff on the same wavelength here ont he HAMB. It seems that we have like minds spread around the country. A subset of the HAMB subset if you will.

28. Either that or a few of us are cyberstalking each other..............

29. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Scott,
    I feel your pain bud, we all go through these phases on a major project. Sometimes I don't even want to look at my car anymore, it occupies SO much time & $$$. I continue to miss any deadline that I have ever set for my car(at least I am consistent:p). And in trying to meet these deadlines, I find myself making it not fun at times.

And really these SHOULD be fun. I know it's not the perfect world, & every second isn't going to be easy, but it should be fun.

When it's not as fun a little break is your friend. Amazing what a couple weeks off from the project car do. Wish I had some better advice, but don't stress my friend. This will all seem funny when you can turn the key & drive it. At least that's what I keep telling myself:D

A last quickie that has helped me. Sometimes when I feel like I am NEVER going to finish the damn car, I look back thru ALL of my build pics. Good lord, you forget how much you have done to get to this point! I feels good, makes you remember how much you have accomplished & how far you have come.

Dan

Oh, & just for good measure:D:D:D:D:D:D: