Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fed Ex lost my 32 Hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bradroe, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bradroe

bradroe

I ordered a Rootlieb 1932 Ford hood that Rootlieb shows Fed Ex picked up on 10/20/10 and I was suppose to get it Tues 10/26/10 but Fed Ex lost it. Fed Ex responce is we have 14 days to search for it than you can file a claim. The problem is Rootlieb is 8 WEEKS out on production before they can ship another one. If any one sees my hood please let me know. Thanks

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

did you stop payment?

that usually gets people motivated

3. I hope you had it insured. HRP

4. Mercchev

Mercchev

File the claim, Rootlieb should have it insured for the full value. Plus you can track the "lost" hood's shipping progress--where it was/is on the website with your tracking number, so you can narrow it down to the last truck or station it was at. Then call the FedEx guys back and give them that info...The reps working on lost packages have a large case load and if you can help with the search, it should/will work out better for you. Couple of times, we found my stuff laying against the wall at the local station where it had been "misplaced"...

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

This is good advice, don't get angry.... yet.

6. That would not be legal. Ownership of the property transfers to the buyer once the property has been shipped. it is not not Rootlieb's fault or responsibility once they have handed the property over to the common carrier. It is now the buyer's property and they have to deal with the carrier direct for reimbursement or loss.

7. big bad john

big bad john

..........Shit happens sometimes........Hope it shows up soon.......

8. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

Damn. Luckily Fed Ex DID deliver me my 4 inch dropped axle this morning instead of losing it for me.

9. bradroe

bradroe

The tracking shows Fed Ex picked it up 10/20/10 and there is no other activity. Rootlieb has done all they can do it is Fed Ex Im not to happy about. Why would it take 14 days for a search? I know Fed Ex is a big company but come on.

10. two years ago i bought a carb and it was shipped fed ex and the driver delivered it to a differant adress. just left it off. luckily the lady that owned the house where it was delivered got my name off the label,looked it up in the phone book and caled me. i think there are some drivers that drop stuff off somewhere so they don't have to deal with it later

11. Never heard of that done that way ever. Its always the person who shipped the package that has to make a claim and they get the payment for the loss, not the person receiving the goods. The buyer didn't enter into a shipping contract with FedEx, Rootlieb did. Those two have to square things away first. I've been down this parade too many times with UPS...

12. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Not surprising, I had a Model A frame lost ....File a claim and be a prick about it!!

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Call Rootlieb and explain the situation ,There the shipper...............

14. bradroe

bradroe

I did call Rootlieb they have done all they can. If Fed Ex cant find it in 14 days Roollieb will file a claim than it will take another 8 weeks to ship another one thats what sucks. I guess it could be one of my Christmas presents by then.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Huh..well i have a different way of looking at "Ownership"
    that word to me means "I have it"..and If i dont have it..I aint paying for it..

so if they cant get their shit together, they dont need to worry bout my payment either

the loss problem isnt his..its the shipping companies and those that sent it out for shipment..not the poor shlub waiting to take ownership

and if they run a ship where its the buyers fault they didnt get it to him,, than i aint buying it!

But i just now see..its only been one day..i wouldnt get too fired up...just yet

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Some dude is sitting under it on an island in the South Pacific with his best and only friend Wilson.

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

I've heard the claim of "ownership" many times but if you order something and can prove that it never arrived your credit card will cancel the charges every time.

18. carbking

carbking

??? :confused:

X2 on isettajohn comments.

We have been using UPS since 1984. In the few instances when something happened, we as the shipper always file the claim. This is the way we want it. I would NOT want my customers to have to take time to do this. Should not be their responsibility. Customer calls me, I call UPS, the 6 or 7 claims we have had in 25 years have all been settled within 5 working days of my first call. :)

I do not know how Fed Ex handles claims, we won't use them because of their insurance rider.

I would call the seller, explain the problem, and ask for their help. If they ship a lot of stuff, they will have a telephone number for a manager that is responsible for their account. The account manager will do more than the people who answer the common telephone number.

Good luck, and remember that more flies are trapped with honey than with flypaper. Anger on the telephone never helps. ;)

Jon

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yup..been there ...done that.

as if someone is going to pay for something they never got..and not have an issue with that.

If i dont have it..I didnt take "Ownership"..therefore i aint paying for what i didnt get.

also this guy didnt contract the shipping company..the company he bought it from did..end of story

20. I ship via Fed Ex always! Two weeks ago they loss a set of Hilborn Injectors that I had sold. As soon as the buyer notified me, I was in touch with a Custom Service Rep. They found the injectors right where the tracking stopped (the bar code fell off). They got the package back on track in less than 24 hours and delivered the package on Saturday to the buyers door.

Don't give up faith, they have an excellent tracking system.

21. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Make sure it is fully inspected out of the box when (or if) it arrives with the delivery driver right there.

The longer it floats around in the Fedex system, the more likely it will get damaged.

22. If it's in their lost and found world and the shipping information is missing. Once the shipper starts looking for it, Fed Ex will open the package so the SHIPPER can identfy it. They will repackage it and send it on it's way.

23. lawman

lawman

Years ago I shipped over $1000.00 worth of parts ( Classic Fabrication Inc) by the US post office because UPS was on strike . The buyer was a very good customer for my custom parts and requested I did not charge him Insurance .The USPO lost my parts and I was out the money + shipping. You live and learn !!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

24. 10/26/10 was YESTERDAY. Give it 'til the end of the week and then start bitching about it. Sometimes packages get delayed and fall behind the anticipated schedule. No biggie.

25. Unless specifically stated in terms of sales, it is generally considered that purchases requiring shipping by a common carrier like UPS or Fed Ex will be FOB (Free On Board), sometimes stated FOB Factory or the like. By legal definition that means that the ownership transfers to the buyer when it is picked up by the shipping company. The seller is merely acting as an agent for the buyer by contacting and arranging shipping. this is the key, although the seller initiated the contact and entered into the agreement with the shipper, he was doing so on behalf of the buyer. If the shipment is lost, either the seller or buyer can contact the shipper, but the shipper may only respond to the seller since that was the point of origin. Usually what happens is the seller will start the claim, on behalf of the buyer, and if it is agreed to be resolved, the seller will be reimbursed, again on behalf of the buyer at which time the seller will then either replace or refund the item and shipping.
    The exception to this would be if the terms of sale were FOB Destination, in which case the ownership of the item remains that of the seller until it is delivered to the buyer. This is fairly rare in consumer type actions.
    If the shipper refuses the claim it is the buyer who is left holding the bag unless the seller decides to take care of it for customer good will.

It doesn't really matter how you look at it, what matters is what is legal. And if you look at my explanation above you will see what is determined by law. It is the buyer's problem and most sellers will go out of their way to accommodate, but the ultimate burden is on the buyer.
    Whether you and I agree with this is irrelevant because it is the law. Sometimes a credit card company will go so far as to reverse the charges, but if the seller takes it to court, they will usually get their money back as long as they did everything correct as far as shipping and making the claim goes and the buyer will carry the loss.

26. bradroe

bradroe

I understand 10/26/10 was yesterday but fed ex tracker shows no activity and they dont know where it is. I am waiting and hoping it shows up. I wanted to post this to find out what everyone else has done to solve thier problems.

27. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You gotta see the great hood my FedEx guy just got for his '32...................

28. bradroe

bradroe

LOL!!!!!! Thats what my wife said that the fed ex guy needed a hood for his hot rod!!!!!

29. greaser

greaser

I lost deuce frame rails shipped from J W Garage a few years ago, and thought the same thing! Someone working at UPS freight may have known what they were?

30. Truckedup

Truckedup

I had a package shipped to me by UPS arrive with damage.It was the shipper,not me who had to start the claim procedure.Maybe Fedex plays by different rules,but I doubt it.Same for the USPS,the guy who ships it pays for insurance and files a claim if necessary.