Register now to get rid of these ads!

History BARRIS - "Snooky" Janich 1941 Ford RESTORATION

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Rikster

Rikster

For quite a few years I knew that the George Janich — later owned by his nephew Paul aka Snooky — Janich had survived and was slowly being restored by George Mallory and his twin brother Steve.
    But when Axle announced his "Customs Then & Now" gathering to be held at the GNRS in 2011. Steve and George got very much inspired to get the car ready for this special event.
    So they made a new schedule and figured it would be hard work to get the car done in time for the Show in January, but they both agreed it needed to be done, and this was the perfect reason to get it done.

The car in its glory days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To find out more more about the history of the Snooky Janich 1941 Ford read the article from Sondre on the KustomRama Site.

Here are a few photos that Steve send me of the car as it is been taken apart. Its very interesting to see so many similarities between this 1941 Ford and the Jack Stewart 1941 Ford that was built mostly by the Ayala's. And which is being restored at the same time.

Photos from KustomRama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos by Steve Mallory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same black tar like material as was found on the Jack Stewart 1941 Ford.

[​IMG]

The photo below and above show — if you look carefully — that the car has been further customized at one point. In the rear quarter somebody apparently added twin sunken antennas and they used the famous Buick Portholes (or perhaps just round tubing cut on an angle) to create the hole in the body. At a later point the holes where closed up again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fresh brand new white wall tires.. waiting for the wheels and HUBCAPS

[​IMG]

Steve and George had been hunting for parts for the car ever since they owned the car since the early 1970's. Most of the hard to find parts have been found, but a few key parts are still missing.
    The long factory accessory 1941 model only fender skirts are still missing. but those can be made if none can be found.
    But the most important missing parts are the hubcaps. And we need your help finding them!

I have searched everywhere, and I just cant come up with a photo of a similar set of hubcaps. The full moon is possibly a separate part from the trim ring, but it could as well be a since piece hubcap as well.
    The trim ring looks to be very wide at the edge. Something I have never seen on any other car, stock Hot Rod or custom.
    We know that the car was built in 1948, but the photos seen here where taken in either the late 1940's or early 1950's. I know Barris offered a few custom full moon hubcaps in those days, but on the copied catalog I have its hard to see if it is a set of those.

So if anybody has ever seen any of these, or has an idea what was used to create them? please let us know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    Surfcityrocker and Marty Skelton like this.
  2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Thank you!!!!!!

3. I would almost SWEAR that there's a thread around here somewhere that discusses those hub caps....

I seem to recall that they were in fact two pieces. and that the trim rings were off of some big fancy car...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

cool a jersey shore ford

5. Rikster

Rikster

Cool.... now THINK harder!...

I will do a search on here as well. Thanks

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I think there was a post about wheel "spats"- but not that exact style with the wide lip.

7. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

Is that a hydraulic piston for power windows?

8. Rikster

Rikster

Steve's words
    "Interior shots will show the inside of the doors and the hydraulic cylinders, (think that these were robbed out of a Lincoln Continental) Notice how they routed the plumbing and wires through the door jams which were used to power the windows,solenoids to open the doors"

[​IMG]

9. big creep

big creep

and the door popper!

10. My guess for the hubcaps would be two piece.....the outer ring looks similar to the trim rings on my 67 GTO.....even though I know they aren't the same.....

thanks for reading my totally useless post.:D

11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the additional photos Rik! It looks like Steve and George has one hell of a marathon in front of them, but I really hope they will make it!

I have looked at those hubcaps myself...and have no clue what they are! I will read through a couple of old accessories catalogs I have with those in mind after work today!

12. looks kind of like what I have seen on cords.

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

14. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

this is going to be a great thread...

15. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Rikster;
    Thank you for making my day!
    FRITZ

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is awesome! Another one saved!

17. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Love post like these & seeing the pics of how things were dont then--awesome stuff!

18. Wow another super cool thread about a great custom being brought back to life!!

19. chrisman

chrisman

Oh my! So cool to see some new photos of it.

20. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i think i have a set on similar rings at the shop, think they came out of some kind of plymouth i will take pics and post them

21. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

roofing tar over burlap bags, shaved chunks of 2 X 4's , gotta love it......makes you think
    next time you want to tell someone with a bit of rust or some such on his ride that he
    needs to fix that s--t. Hard to take that the icons of yesterday were sometimes just as
    common as the rest of us. Still, its a beautiful ride and example of custom roots !

22. What ever was in the roofing tar surely must have been outlawed, it holds up way better than anything found now! That same tar was spread throughout my Ford back then, and doesn't show any sign of peeling or lifting 60 years later.

Steve

23. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Great stuff for sure, they have alot of work ahead of them I hope they can get her done in time for GNRS

24. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

Rikster, ford made a set of rings in the early 50's that were painted white,to give a white wall look. Held on by 5 spring clips. Later these same rings were chromed and used as outer rings for the 55 t-bird wire wheel covers. The center wires pop out of these leaving the outer ring and with a set of baby moons, should look just like what you are after. These are 15". Go to any 55-57 thunderbird shop and you will see what i am talking about. Hope this helps tom

25. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Thanks Rik! Cant wait to see this car finished! This is my favorite custom ever!!!!!

26. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Awesome, Rik!!...thanks for sharing all of the pics, it's great to see the old construction.

Boy I hope they're able to finish it in timefor the show!!

27. x2!!

28. OLLIN

OLLIN

x3! I love this car, and Im glad to see it being taken care of. It looks like things are sure coming together nicely for GNRS.
    this thread made my day too.

29. atomickustom

atomickustom

Were those hubcaps on it when it was first finished in 1948? Or added sometime before 1951 when the photos you linked to were taken?
    (Either way, '55-57 T-Bird parts are not a possibility.)

Although this is not what you asked, JC Whitney sold something as recently as a few years back that seemed to closely resemble those. They called them their "full moon" hubcaps, but they definitely had a hard crease all round the edge. Not nearly as deep as these, though.