Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building my 63 Gasser!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63gasser, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

[​IMG]

That is wild looking, I wonder if it has an FE engine in it?

Jon

2. fenian65

fenian65

3. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Nothing cooler than a gasser, street or strip.

4. 63gasser

63gasser

took the rambler to the shop today and removed the front suspension will start building the frame under it in the morning. Feels great to get started on the build! :)

Attached Files:

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I was concerned that all you were doing was building the car in your mind and on here. Glad to see you are taking action. Keep us posted.

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Dude.....where ya been??:D

And Rambler guy...looks like a cool project. Ignore the naysayers....1/2 of the builds here aren't really "traditional" either, but sometimes get a "pass" just because it's a fucking Model A or a Duece....;)

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

O.K., I like the little ragtop. I'd also go the axle route.
    As far as HAMB requirements, I doubt he is 'required' to either de-fender it or extend it and taildrag it with skirts & chopped Carson...The Gasser direction is perfunctory.
    And what's with the authenticating of 'gassers'? Did they have to have run in the '60s?
    Real 'gassers' were NEVER driven on the street? (ever been to Hayward?) Never were any ragtops run in Gas classes? (Ever been to Fremont?)
    Somebody oughta do a search. This isn't Pebble Beach.

8. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I look forward to the build and the video of the first wheelie!!

9. 63 gasser,I love the gasser look,keep the faith and dont let those guys hit you wid those negative waves.

10. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

cool, keep at it.
    what are you going to use for the axle?
    and you gonna put a name on the car?

11. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I like this build! It's your car do what you want with it. I'm building one too. I don't really care if people like it or not. It's my build, my money, my time. Last time I checked it was "The Home Of The Free" not " you must conform".

12. 63gasser

63gasser

Straight Axle - King Pin Centers 48''
    - Tube Axle 2'' OD x .250 wall with Ford spindles

Leaf Springs are 32" Long 6 Leaf Springs

as far as a name im looking for a good one it is going to be candy apple red so i like "candy gasser" if any one has a good name let me know!!

13. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

That little bastard should be fast. Looks like it has a nice short wheelbase and should be light weight. Be sure to put a really cool cage in this thing. An x in the hoop or something.

I've seen old pictures of a volvo gasser and an international scout gasser.. don't forget both of the Flintstone Flyers.. I look at your car and I say, yeah looks like a pretty good platform for a fast car, should be cool.

I guess my 2 cents on the project is (not that it really matters), if you decide to call it a gasser, do your best to keep to the escence of what a gasser is. Small car, big motor, no bullshit. If it's there, it serves a purpose to make the car faster. I'm assuming you already know the gasser specs on crank shaft height, engine setback, etc.

With that being said, I hope some of these other guys are done hijacking your thread and good luck on your project. You have already started a good parts collection. That is ridiculous how cheap you got that moon tank for.

14. i like diffrent shit.

15. 63gasser

63gasser

just been working on taking out the old and making all the frame for the new front end. lots of cutting and grinding. opened up the fender wells still a lot of finish work to be done today. should have every thing welded today...more to come

16. 63gasser

63gasser

this is some of the frame work that i was building because of the unibody...a lot more then i was thinking would need to be done..:eek:

Attached Files:

• 035.jpg
      035.jpg
      File size:
      487.7 KB
      Views:
  17. That's not a gasser, fyi.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

im thinking chrome roll bar, with two support braces back?

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

How about UNLIDED GAS for a name.:)

20. 63gasser

63gasser

went shopping today for more parts this is what i picked up....new early ford round type spindles with king pins...new super bell tie rod arms and tie rod...ford rotors and calipers... complete bearing kit with all races bearings and grease seals..and super bell caliper brackets! this should keep me working for a little while. i will post up pics tomorrow evening everyone!

21. 63gasser

63gasser

started the straight axle to day this is how it looks:)

Attached Files:

22. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Looks great, you are moving fast on your build, whats next on the list?

Jon

23. 63gasser

63gasser

next will be the the transmission mount and motor mounts and then the ford 9 inch four link.

24. gripelec

gripelec

Sweet, love gassers!

25. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

26. Butch M

Butch M

wow lookin real good..

27. farna

farna

That's a bit high in the front even for a gasser! You might want to take a few leaves out of those springs. Would only drop it an inch or so. You also have no travel in the front shackles. The shackles should be in the back too. Instead of shackles I'd use sliders. That will reduce height just a little (maybe an inch) and be much neater looking.

28. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

if you look the shackles are held down by vice grips and no motor yet I'm sure he will set it all when its all mocked up

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yup...looks a bit high but thats gonna drop a bit with the engine etc...plus you can adjust it a bit with the springs as Farna says.

Your steering arms are designed to give proper Ackerman with the arms facing the rear.
    It almost/kinda looks like your kingpin angle is backwards too. (In the first pic...but its hard to be certain!)
    Are you sure the axle was put in the right way around???

I'd check the caster angle on the spindles and would absolutely run the tierod out back. Seeing you have lots of room theres no sense in running with bad Ackerman.
    Some guys HAVE to live with it, but with all the room you have, no reason you need to!
    :D:D Cool car. I like!

30. Keep up the great progress, man you are cranking on this thing!
    It is funny how this place makes it so easy to be critical of other people's cars or fabrication even when it is innovative. It is interesting to see the correlation of the people that are most critical and the car(s) they own on their bio, vs. the supportive members and the cars & projects they have. All I have to say is, it puts things in perspective!