Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flywheel weight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vet57air, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Looking for opinions on what flywheel weight I should go for. I have a full fendered 34 ford (under 3000#) with a small block chevy with 350/350 hp, Tremec 6 spd. 4:56 rear gear and 30 inch tall tires. It is a street car but like "spirited" driving. Don't want it to be a real pain to drive but want to have fun???

2. aaggie

aaggie

With that weight and low gear ratios almost anything would work. I suggest stock GM parts department and save some money.

3. MODELA30

MODELA30

Flywheel weight? Like in balancing the engine? KNUCK FROM INDIANA.

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

Just run an OEM flywheel. GM had the weight figured out for general use and used the same weight flywheel over a variety of engine horsepower options.

Bob

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

In this case the best answer depends mostly on what compromises you are prepared to accept. You have an engine with plenty of low-end power, a reasonably light car, fairly low first gear, and a stiff ring & pinion. And, you are a "spirited" driver. Based on all that I wouldn't be afraid to suggest going all the way with an aluminum flywheel. Aluminum flywheels can have problems that steel ones don't, and they tend to be less tolerant of abuse and excessive heat. If you can't live with an aluminum flywheel, a ligh steel one would be the next best option. However, as steel flywheels get lighter/thinner their tolerance of overheating diminishes too.

6. MODELA30

MODELA30

Hold it a minute i thought all chevy's were internally balanced? And even if it was externally balanced as long as you use a stock chevy flywheel you are ok. Know i do know that if you are rebuilding the motor and the pistons you are using are lighter than the stock one which i know they are then you do have to balance the crank with the flywheel, piston weight and the harmonic balancer. That you will be using. But if you are using all stock engine parts then the trans and all that drive train stuff should not matter correct!!! Knuck from indiana.

7. Stock heavy flywheel will lead to better city driving and just off idle low gear starts. If you feel like you want to fan the throttle every time you need to take off, spend the money on a light flywheel, and grab gears more often in city driving.
    I put the heaviest stock flywheel I had in my A/sbc/5sp/4.11 and enjoy not having to give much throttle for 2nd gear takeoffs (S10 truck tranny) and being able to idle in second and loping the car with cam induced beat in downtown idle cruise speed and stop traffic.

8. I agree.....I've used light flywheels and heavy flywheels but have always found the one that the factory developed for the engine always gave the best all around performance and reliability.

9. Just an update. I ended up installing a 15 lb. aluminum flywheel. Best thing I ever did. It is awesome, revs like right now and with my combination starting off is no problem. In fact I can start off in 2nd with no problem.

10. txturbo

txturbo

No....the 454 and small block 400 are externally balanced.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!