Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Heres my new project . I know its bad, but guys have started with a lot worse . :D 51 buick and doner car 002.jpg

51 buick and doner car 003.jpg

51 buick and doner car 006.jpg

51 buick and doner car 007.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. Racrdad

Racrdad

I think you nailed it with that quote! Good luck and make sure you post your progress pictures. Want to see it as you progress.

aussie57wag likes this.
  3. Heres a couple of pics The first is of the doner roof from a 1951 Chevrolet coupe . I will use it to chop the roof of the 51 after the 51 gets transplanted onto the floorpan . Its obviously the second pic . I will have to add 5.5 inches to the frame and floorpan of the donor as the WB of the Buick is 121.5 and the donner is only is 116.

Attached Files:

4. Heres what the fender was like and I am in the process of fixing it up . I am pleased with the outcome so far . I thank God that I have the ability to do this as I could not afford to have someone else to do it . Believe it or not I have about 10 hours on this fender and not done yet :eek:

Attached Files:

winr likes this.

5. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Looking good!

6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice job!
    I have always thought that knowing the effort you put into a project is as great as the outcome, which in your case obvioiusly will be way cool!
    Good luck, and keep them pics coming...

7. WOW, you have a lot of work ahead of you! Keep us posted with the progress.

8. Do Again

Do Again
    from San Diego

Who in their right mind does a '51 Buick? :rolleyes:

Enjoy your build, these cars have great lines.

[​IMG]

winr likes this.
  9. Nice build and they are great cars even in stock condition

I have a 1951 Special model 45R (two door HT coupe)

10. Squablow

Squablow

Is the Chevy roof just for the rear window area, or? What else could you use off of it? They don't share the roof with the Buick.

11. fattysgarage

fattysgarage

Love the car! What engine do you plan on using?

12. Thanks Boys ,
    Do again / All I can say is wow . Very nice Buick sweet and low and hammered . What more is there in the world of big buick customs ????

Dutch keep comin back every week or so I hope to have progress each week . Thanks for the encouragement .

Squablow yes the 1951 Chev coupe roof is just for the rear window area . I took the whole roof to take advantage of all the compound curves available if I need them elsewhere in the build , And I am sure I will.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  13. Squablow

Squablow

That's a good idea, always nice to have a big piece of sheetmetal with different shapes stamped into it. And the Chevy window will make the chop considerably easier.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Subscribed this should be a cool build , looks like yer off to a good start!

15. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

i'm working on a 49 awsome cars with very cool lines good luck my friend enjoy

Paul

16. Jonny can I still give you a call for the measurements on the body we talked about a week or so ago? Thanks

17. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

sure feel free anytime AW1950

18. Just a small update . Lots of other irons in the fire yet !!! The fender is almost done . Turned out good . I will only need a slight amount of filler to get it super straight . I need some help though. You see in the 3rd picture I dont know what this area is supposed to look like . The drivers fender is just as bad if not worse . Could someone please send me a picture of what this is supposed to look like? I am assuming that it is a adjustment pad for the hood stop ??? I am new to this and dont know if you can post your pictures on my site so here is my e-mail address if you have to go that route . Thanks
    [email protected] :eek:

Attached Files:

19. Please send a picture of this area ( Pic # 3 in the previous post ) if you own one of these cars . I would surley appreciate it .

20. Do Again

Do Again
    from San Diego

can you circle (in your pic) what exactly you are looking for? I'll see if I can find a pic or have my Pops snap one.

21. 1lowbuick

1lowbuick

same with me. i have a 1950 out in the garage i can go and take a photo for you. its the same car but the grill and a few things

c-ya
    1lowbuick

22. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

c'mon it needs a straight 8 like a classic buick should have! or at the very least a 401 nailhead with tripower! ;)

23. I wish I could find a nailhead but they are scarace in my neck of the woods . A 455 would be some nice as well. That would turn the land yacht into a schooner for sure .

24. Do Again here is the area that I am in question of . Thanks if you can help me . Anybody ??? :eek:

Attached Files:

25. Heres a better picture of what area I need a picture of . aw1950

Attached Files:

26. padorey

padorey

Great Start. I have a Monto Carlo chassie undern my 53, also like chopped tops. Buicks are coming out tghese days.

Attached Files:

LONG likes this.
  27. Very nice example of one of these big Buicks . Nice custom work padorey. Did the Monte frame give you any grief as far as width , length, etc. ?

28. padorey

padorey

no with was no problem. I did need to add 5 & 1/2" to the leanth. Also lots of work on underside of body I have a friend that is also using thframee same driveline but modiifing the Buick frame,

29. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am building a 49 Sedanett. Have the body work all done. Used the original frame, Caprice rear, M-II front. Set a 455 and 400 Turbo in this week and made the tranny and motor mounts yesterday. The 455 fits right in, lots of room. I don't know what part of Canada you are in, but there are a couple of 455's currently available here (Central Indiana), one for $400 and one for $500 witha 400 turbo thrown in.

30. Thanks Fat but I am way to far away for those engines . Thanks for your input and good luck on the project . aw1950