Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tires for 50 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adidasink, Oct 25, 2010.

1. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I am looking to purchase tires for my 50 Ford shoebox...

I am almost sold on bias ply's cause of their look and of course their price...

I was looking at:

L78-15 Coker Classic 4" whitewalls....just cause thats a sweet whitewall size...I am concerned that the tire might be too tall..it says it is 29.3" tall...which is about 1.5 inches taller then the 205/75/15s I am running now

What size bias ply SHOULD I be running...the car is running aerostar springs up front and 3 inch lowering blocks in rear...pictures of how the car sits are below....

My other train of thought is to buy 2 radials with smaller whitewalls for up front seeing as they are pretty visible...and then buy 2 used tires and grind out the whitewalls as the rear will have the skirts on anyways...at least a little of the whitewalls would be sticking out...

What are your recommendations?

And this really isnt a Bias Vs Radial thread....I have read all of those...I dig the looks of the bias plys and understand the risks/differences associated with them so no need to go into all that....

Attached Files:

2. my firestone 700 series are about 29.29 inches tall. no problem. my 50 is lowered 4 inches in the back and about two in the front.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

6.70x15"..........

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

or perhaps 7.10 X 15 max.......L78 is MASSIVE by comparison....it isn't just the diameter......but section width is greater as well and may...may..cause clearance issues/rubbing when turning....and IMO won't look right either. Aslo, without power steering, the greater 'footprint' will be harder to turn when maneuvering at low or no speed.

Ray

5. clifforddean

clifforddean

Man I just went from bias ply to radial and it's gotta be the best upgrade as far as ride and handling goes. As far as size goes you can pretty much do what you want, but do what ever you can to put radials on there it's well worth it. I myself found some BF Goodrich silvertown 215/70R14 on craigslist. You may not want 14" but as for the width I have no problems in front. The rear rubs just a little bit when I'm turning but that's with 2 leaves removed and old bushings.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

6.70 x 15. definitely.

7. shoebox50

shoebox50

I run 6-70x15.

8. conormulroney

conormulroney

X2. The L78 is better suited for a truck due to their width.

Conor

9. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I also have 6.70 x 15's on mine.
    I think they look at home on it.

10. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Yeah I was worried they were a bit on the too big size...considering the springs on the front have settled since those pictures were taken I went with the 670-15 Firestone bias plys....