Register now to get rid of these ads!

The oddest car body, engine combination you've ever done,seen,been in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rixrex, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>Back in the late '70's ,,went to see a Speed Shop owner in Carlisle ,Iowa about sum parts ,,he had a Olds Toronado ,w' a 455 FWD,,not sure what year it was ,,but ,,he also had ANOTHER 455 FWD ( now RWD )in the back seat / trunk ,,yep twin 455's ,,but,,,they both had 6;71 Jimmy blowers w' dual Holleys ,,and had M&H 10.5 slicks on all four corners ,,he took me for a ride that day ,,smoked them slicks for two blocks ,,wildest ride i ever took ,
    crazy tho ,,he could drive it on one motor or the other or both ,,
    he musta had fun doing the throttle n shift linkage ,,,

2. Algon

Algon

As in this one?

Attached Files:

3. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,YEP ,,i think he built his to copy that Hurst one ,,

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

as much as i hate those smart cars this is too funny to pass up, stipped down with a Hybusa engine in it, in order to wok on the bottom, they just roll it over on it's side :D just goes to prove no matter how slow and pathetic something is, someone somewhere will be crazy enough to modify it. this reminds me of the 9 second Buick GNX turbo powered rear wheel drive Geo metro. goofy as hell, but boy is it fast :rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJ84nho3_k&feature=related

5. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

How about a Jeep chassis, 350 motor, Powerglide trans, 9" rear end.....and a wooden box for a body? :D:D:D

[​IMG]

I did finish it up a bit more at a later date though.

[​IMG]

6. Greasyman

Greasyman

I have an old Hot Rod magazine with a photo of a late eighties Camaro powered by a Ford flathead. It was built to run at Bonneville, but I have no idea what class it was in. Hope it worked out for them.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

XF/GCoup. I ran my GMC 302 powered Vega in XO/BALT and Latten & Gillette were running an Ardun Capri at the time. The Salt Cat Buick straight eight powered Jag is currently pretty weird as is the McMeekin 240Z which has run with a flathead and a Buick straight eight successfully

8. My best buddy who is a very clever fabricator put together a nice '58 Corvette for another pal back in the late 60's.
    The 'Vettes owner was showing wood for one of those GTX 440 mills.
    Doug transpalnted the 440 into it, fabricated the headers, used the MoPar 727 tranny , the whole works.
    The best part was the sheet metal box he fabricated on top of the tranny tunnel for the Chrysler "typewritter" shifter.
    At the time I too owned a '58 Corvette, 283 P.glide, very stock.
    I also owned a '67 Coronet R/T 440 T/ flite hardtop. I just didnt have the courage to cut up 2 nice cars like he did to make a killer 'Vette like those kats put together.
    That project still sits high on my bucket list though.

9. hotrodnewby

hotrodnewby

10. Giovanni

Giovanni

there's a thread on here i saw the other day. A de-computerized 5.0 BMW v-12 or v-10 in a model A. Looks pretty interesting

11. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

1922 ford model t with a ls-7 big block chev

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Any of you guys want to go for the strange motor cup? I was offered a couple of Ranger air cooled straight six aircraft engines. Converted for sprint car use. 440 cubic inches. Hilborn injection. Crower cams. Much other stuff In SoCal area. Reasonable price. PM if you really Dare to be Different.

13. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

At Barrett Jackson one year they had on display
    a 40's hot rod roadster (I don't know if it was an A or B roadster but the front of the frame was stretched six inches to fit a Duesenberg straight eight engine. That engine was worth $300,000 at the time

14. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

There's a flat-six air-cooled aircraft engine on Ebay in the UK right now, Real cool looking motor too.

Just like this one:

[​IMG]

15. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

How about a 60 Anglia with a Pinto four banger in it. Twice as much power as the original engine.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

might not work well on the street, they are designed for a pretty low RPM . if it's cheap chances are it has serious problems, those are worth a lot of money as cores, they get rebuilt over and over,everything but the case and crank

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes you run into one of those things from a ground power unit. They are not FAA airworthy and can not be made so. Still not what I would call cheap and really not cheap to buy parts for. The Ranger being a straight six is more readily adapted for auto use and several were after the war. Where you get parts is unknown to me.

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I seem to remember an Antipodean sports-racer with one of those in it somewhere on the HAMB. If I remember correctly the engine was installed upside-down.

19. motorhead711

motorhead711

An early 60's Astin Martin with an injected 327 small block, straight axle and 12 inch slot mags on the rear!!! SCARY!!!

20. almost bought a 79 mgb with a 455 buick in it... I wonder where that thing went

21. Yep, in the 60s there were I believe two sports racers with Lycoming engines here in NZ. One of them had a chain drive to a flathead rear.

22. I stretched the frame on a 52 Jeep 14" and put a 65 VW body on it, 4WD with Jeep 4 cylinder, called it a VEEP.

23. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. David Allen

David Allen

I once built a 1960 Humber Super Snipe with a '58 Cad 365 in it. I also had a VW with a 225 Olds v6. Before I left So. Cal I built an early, square bodied, Datsun truck(60hp) that had a 455 Olds and front drive in the bed. The most bizzare set up I ever saw was an A40 with two small block Chevies in it. It belonged to a magazine photographer and was his daily driver.

25. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

just a normal day in the garage with my 64 Studebaker Commander 2dr powered by a 1954 Hudson Hornet 308, now bored out to 328 cid with twin Corvair turbochargers.
    Yes still running a dual range Hydramatic out of a 53 Hudson Hornet. with pictures to show...
    PaceRacer50

Attached Files:

26. IBenDCars

IBenDCars
    from Nevada

OK how is it NOT H.A.M.B. friendly. I know how hard it is to put a Chevy 350 in one of these. I guess I am kinda of a newbie here.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PM me. This may not belong in the general discussion.

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

back in the late 70's early 80's my Uncle put the entire front clip from an Olds Toronado in the rear of his 72 Datson pickup. He made a tilt bed with a stainless box to cover the engine. It was quite the little hot rod. He even customized the front with canted dual headlights.

I remember being 8 or 9 and riding along with him and a guy asked for a ride into the show. My Uncle told him to hop in back. He sat right on the engine cover and hopped right back up. :)

29. rixrex

rixrex

PacaRacer50...please more on your Hudson powered Studebaker..had it out for race or top end yet?

30. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Only with an 8-12' prop on it. You can't have the ends of a prop go super-sonic. At least not if you want to stay in the air. Being horizontally opposed, it should spin up nicely without the prop. The Porsche flat 6 did just fine, and is pretty much the same engine. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.