Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. baldtireman

baldtireman

Pretty sure the last photo shows Ernie Lowe,of Akron,Ohio,being presented a trophy by Jim Novak,long time owner/promoter of Sharon Speedway,in Hartford,Ohio! John S.:)

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The tank is a mini sprint wet tank from SpeedPartz in Cincinnati. I got mine used but it is a great size for vintage. I'm not a 100% happy with the way I mounted it, but the mounting holes were already drilled when I got it.

Here is a link to tank.

http://www.speedpartz.com/fuel_cell_tail_style.htm

3. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

4. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I have been thinking about using E-85 also, seems like maintenance might be a little easier for casual vintage use.

5. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Tom, love the old Ascot poster! Did you ever go to Whiteman Stadium for open comp sprints there, was a weird track... banked turn one decreasing bank out of two and flat three and four, How would they of set a car up for that joint, last time I saw the glitter pink Bob Simmons hot rod was at Whiteman, was old then, Did you ever hear what happend to that car? the good fookin old days! Pat

6. I dig the way camera did it myself. really

7. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Campbell was from Bates City, Mo., but his car was not the Malloy, that was still with Morcroft then. The Campbell car was built for Sid Street in 1952, and first driven by Walt Faulkner. Street was also from Missouri, and a boat racer I think.

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found this shot posted by LowKat on the vintage shots from days gone by thread.....Rich

Attached Files:

9. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

What METAL BENDER said...

Take your tank and have it Anodized. They make a Clear anodizing that you can hardly tell is on the Aluminum and the fuel will cease to affect it, and be affected.. ;)

MANY places do this, only thing you may have to do is fabricate "hangers" for it. (like when they Chrome parts)

J Shaw

11. [​IMG]
    Jim Maguire, Paxton, Jeff Barbour, MR. SMITH
    Hershey Oct. 15th.

12. Jerracer

Jerracer

The "glitter pink" car you refer to was owned by A.C. Gordon, who lived in or neighborhood in Lakewood, CA. As kids we would go down and pester Mr. Gordon because, well it was a race car and I loved race cars and racing since I was a very small child. The CRA sprints ran at Whiteman as well- it was a strange track. I remember Mike Mosely getting some of his early wins there in '66 in the Tamale Wagon.

13. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Who drove the Vargo Offy at Hershey? Car belongs to my long time boss.

14. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Spike, GOOD to see 'ya here. It's been awhile we've missed 'ya.
    PLEASE don't be a stranger. We DO ENJOY your input here.

15. toml24

toml24

I never made it to Whiteman Stadium which looks to have been a great place to see a race, sprint cars or other.

16. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

A friend just advised me that the last contact he had with Jack Crawford was 3 or 4 years ago when Crawford was in the Vestal New York area.

17. Spike, that's the guy who owns the Meskowski #9. Wasn't able to have his car there
    & drove the Vargo for John Haines.
    Note to CT to PA, to qualify for judging @ Hershey, he had a story board & removed the lettering below cockpit. I wanted you to know that.
    The car won 1st Place.
    mlight9.

18. Hawkeyeed

Hawkeyeed

Enjoy all the photos..Here are some from my collection...

Attached Files:

19. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

It was driven by Jeff Barbour, owner of the Wally Meskowski #9 sprinter

20. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

It's a wonderful restoration! Apparently the judges feel the same as I do ;-)

21. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Recent mention here of Whiteman Stadium prompts me to ask if anyone here has any history or programs from the early days there.
    I spoke to Walt James before he passed and he had a clear memory but no e-mail facilities to pass on his thoughts.
    Particularly ,any information on Flloyd Demmit who was the fuel guy at the adjacent airport and ran midgets at Whiteman ,along with a black Shilala Sprinter #89.
    This was found still in the aircraft hangar next to a Pankratz midget after 38 odd years and I am still looking for information to help in its Log book accreditation down here.
    Many thanks in advance
    Cheers Greg

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Another shot of the #14. Appears to be the same race at Carrell Speedway.

Attached Files:

23. 39Truck

39Truck
    from Sweden

Someone here know the history about this brakes ? I see the schields are
    not like the regular kinmont brakes .Thanks

24. 39Truck

39Truck
    from Sweden

Sorry. Here are the pictures .

25. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Ken;
    Thank you; i really enjoy talking to all of you . Sure wish i could still get to the vintage shows, but if i ever hit the lottery ill get a van to cvarry my power chair.

I worked for John Haines for almost 20 years before getting hurt on the job. He was just a great guy to work for; the very best!!! The job on the Vargo was nicely done too.

26. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hello Spike. Denny Z

27. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Hi Denny Z; I hope everything is going well for you also. I often think of all the cars back in the day with URC. That black 59 was a good lookin Sprinter.

28. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Spike, Ya it was a neat sprinter it treated me well. It now lives in Urbana Ohio. Bob Mconnell restored it to original AJ Watson/ AJ Foyt livery. Denny Z

29. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Someone was talking about drivers being able to dive down in the cockpit with a Sam Brown belt. Thomas rolled on top of the wall at Manzy in 62. Don said Willkerson ran up to the car and thought he had been thrown out, but up poped Don and got out. As you can see the car rolled across the injectors not far from Don. You can still see the patch job on the lower frame and Don gave me the Sam Brown belt. Also Don had 6 CRA main victorys and I think 3 were at Whiteman.

Attached Files: