Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM Rally wheel mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Broke Hotrods, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Flat Broke Hotrods

Flat Broke Hotrods

Just got home with my new toy, a '46 Ford coupe. It's got what sure looks like a 10 bolt rear and a early/mid '70s Nova front end and GM rally wheels, 15 X 8 at the rear and 15 X 7 up front. Okay, that's all good. Here's the mystery part. I popped off a couple of the hub caps and measured the bolt pattern, just thinking about changing the wheels and the bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2. To the best of my knowledge, GM never made anything with that bolt pattern and yes, I'm real sure. I've gone back and re-measured about 14 times and there's no question, they are 5 on 4 1/2 inches. They are NOT 5 on 4 3/4. The wheels are stamped 'GM K-1' between the bolt holes and the 8 inch ones are stamped 'AZ' by the valve stem. Haven't looked at the fronts. So. What's up with that?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if they have 10 bolt holes they are for GM & Ford-search here for thread: lug nut patterns and spacing - The final thread. post some pics of your rims, etc

3. F&J

F&J

First thought is that you are measuring wrong.

Don't take it as an insult, it's just in case you did not know: Measure from the center of one lug hole to the outside edge of a lug hole on the other side...meaning skip one hole.

If you are measuring center to center, you would get 4.5 on a chevy wheel.

4. gardenjeg

gardenjeg
    from nc

Probably a after market copy of chevy rally wheel do you have any pictures? The center hubcaps probably are a different size also.

5. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

The AZ coded 15x8 wheels are 4-3/4". You are measuring wrong.

6. post a picture of them and be sure to include one of you measuring the bolt circle. easy to measure wrong and because of that i have picked up some cheap aftermarket wheels that somebody claimed were mopar but were really GM.

7. yekoms

yekoms

8. Flat Broke Hotrods

Flat Broke Hotrods

Yup. You guys are right. I measured wrong. I knew that once but I forgot it. I got a real good memory but it's SHORT. Seems like the older I get, the shorter it gets too. ;-)

9. F&J

F&J

join the club....:(... there's other things that go bad with age but I forgot exactly what :confused:

10. Deuces

Deuces

I got pics of a '62 Fairlane that has the Chevy Rallyes on it......

11. So how do you measure? I have been looking for 5 x 4 3/4 but have been measuring center to center on the bolts and I always seem to come up with 4 1/2

12. squirrel

squirrel

center of one hole to the outer edge of the opposite hole

13. measureing up short can be a problem for alot of men...

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

All right. Now, go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

on five hole wheels i always measure center to center skipping one hole and add 1/4 inch. Squirrel's method works just as good.

16. Great thanks! That will help me alot : )

17. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Life's a cinch with an extra inch!

Those plastic bolt pattern index wheels sold at car shows are well worth the money.
    I have to get one too!

18. Helpful picture

[​IMG]

19. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The '61 -'63 Pontiac Tempest & LeMans cars actually did have 15" wheels with the 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern. Of course these cars never came with rally wheels of any kind.

20. Earlier in the year WHEELKID had a thread with with a listing of all GM ralley wheels with size, width, years, and vehicles they came on. Found out the two I have are for '70 El Camino. I would put the link in this post but how that is done is still magic to me.