Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Just a cupple photos.

Attached Files:

2. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Badger 1 On the dirt, thats just not right! :eek: (1975)

Attached Files:

• dirt.jpg
      dirt.jpg
      File size:
      2.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I did ALOT of new stuff. The Clark-Y airfoil was the best for dirty air. We did adj. flaps, multiple flaps, leading edge slots, multi- element (6), thick - thin cords, just about anything you can name. Problem was I didn't play politics so they made the rules too strict to allow any innovation and it got boring. Pretty soon if you had a sheet metal break, you were a wing builder. The rules they have now to try to slow the cars doesn't even deserve a comment. You can't fix stupid.

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mario working on Branson and Gordo, a 100 lapper at Salem Oct. 64. Liked to have fell out of the seat doing it, but got around em and held on to win his first USAC race.

Attached Files:

• ma1.jpg
      ma1.jpg
      File size:
      421.2 KB
      Views:
    • ma2.jpg
      ma2.jpg
      File size:
      182.6 KB
      Views:
  6. gearguy

gearguy

What's not right about the Badger on dirt? No reason it and other unusual cars shouldn't work on dry slick tracks. Bob Dretzka's #8 rear engine outboard car ran well on every surface in the 1970s.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jeez, Louise. The crash at the end just never stopped. I've always thought anyone driving into a wreck / parked cars well after the action stopped should have his license pulled for a year, at least. Gary

8. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Does not take long tear down a midget. Couple of hours and you go from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Starting the final build with paint, chrome, rebuilds, ect.

9. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

My last piece of the puzzle is mounting the shoulder belts. I added the hoop for the head rest to the seat hoop to help secure the tail. Now I can't wrap my belts around seat hoop because it is 7" wide and the belts I assume would be to wide. The next idea was to mount them to the cross member behind the seat at the frame, but that seems to low and to far forward to do any good plus all the force would still be on the seat hoop.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Mount them all the way down on the cross member behind the lower back... True, It's not the most "correct" way to "pull" with the belts but it will pass tech and lets face it.. If you ever REALLY need the belts.. There not gonna do much in a Non-cage car other than prevent you from getting low in the cockpit like the racers from the old days knew to do.. (which actually worked a lot of the times)

Only other options.. Weld a second bar 2" back that comes out off the Shoulder bar and runs about 9" across there... or Weld in a cross tube on the Main roll bar just above the fuel cell in front of the fill cap.. (It would have to pass through the Body... :cool:)

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

On a side note Niel.. The 7" is plenty wide enough. On 99% of vintage sprint cars, they come through about a 3" - 4" slot in the seat.

Works fine.. Like this:

Attached Files:

12. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

If you don't already have the belts and don't want them to overlap, get a "y" style harness where the shoulder straps terminate into a single leg before it passes through the hoop, then anchor them to the crossmember like Josh says.
    I'd run a couple of diagonal tubes from the main hoop forward so it doesn't fold in a hit. Put 'em where the upholstery will cover them, alongside the seat.

13. BZNEIL.......looking good......between you and Josh's photo's youve just solved another few problems for me.....I love construction shoots.......

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Looking for the current whereabouts of the 1954 Malloy Special.

Tom Malloy (Emmett's son) and Marc Hart (Malloy Motorsports Collection Honcho) are looking for the current whereabouts of the 1954 Bob Pankratz built Malloy Special. They believe it may be in the Mid-West and was last run as a Chevy Powered sprinter.
    Please respond in this thread with any leads. I voluntered to post this message and pass on to them any info garnered.
    Here's some data on the car:
    [​IMG]
    Jimmy Reece - 1954 start 7th finish 17th - Bob Pankratz built car, Offy power owned and entered by Emmett J. Malloy, black, red, white #25 (edit)
    photos by Mitch G at AutoRacingMemories.com M.Hart"Thank you Mitch. I have a little more info. The car was sold by Malloy in 1955. It then became the Morcroft Special driven by Jimmy Davies 1956 #3 then driven by Gene Hartley in 57-58 #88, Eddie Johnson in 1955 #5. I will post some pictures of the car when it was last seen. It is thought to be in the midwest. It has a Chevy in it with a roll cage. It is #63 In the photo, the car still has the long brake handle on the left side. Thank you again.
    [​IMG]
    Reece in the "Malloy Spl", Pankratz now on the dirt , Langhorne, PA in 1954
    [​IMG]
    George Amick in the Pankratz, races Andy Linden at Milwaukee, WI in 1955
    [​IMG]
    Malloy Spl last seen 2 (edit)
    The car was sold by Malloy in 1955. It then became the Morcroft Special driven by Jimmy Davies 1956 #3 then driven by Gene Hartley in 57-58 #88, Eddie Johnson in 1955 #5. I will post some pictures of the car when it was last seen. It is thought to be in the midwest. It has a Chevy in it with a roll cage. It is #63 In the photo, the car still has the long brake handle on the left side
    [​IMG]
    Malloy Spl last seen

15. racer5c

racer5c

run a brace on each side from the roll bar to the hoop, before you do that install your shoulder harness and pull it forward you will be amazed at how much that hoop moves

16. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Here is a photo of a stained glass window I did for Tom Malloy with the his fathers car in it. The other two cars are in his collection. The champ car are shown going in to the first turn at Sacramento. I know the years of the cars are correct, so don't get your undies in a bunch. As a teenager Tom would go up to Sacramento with Aggy and help with track preperation. I remember that the grandstands were down at the first turn, so you kind of looked down int the cockpits as they pitched those champ cars in to the turn

Attached Files:

17. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Photo of the all of the window

Attached Files:

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

To my knowledge Pankrantz only built the one Champ car. In 1958 Buzz Barton drove, what is listed as a 1952 Pankrantz, for one James Campbell. This seems to be the last year it was raced on the Champ circuit. Assuming it's the same car, does anyone know what part of the country Campbell was from? Knowing that, it might help narrow down the search.

Attached Files:

• pk1.jpg
      pk1.jpg
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:
    • pk2.jpg
      pk2.jpg
      File size:
      135 KB
      Views:
  19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Interestingly there rootie, Buzz managed to get the lead in the race pictured, its Williams Grove. Sutton spun out shortly after that picture.

It was surmised that the engine was a little large and Buzz backed off to 4th i think to avoid the haul down.

20. This was the way I solved my gearbox problem...... shorten the tail shaft housing.....the shortened main shaft now needs to be installed and the transmission rebuilt ' John The Box ' has that job,and I should get it back tomorrow.

Attached Files:

21. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Wow Steve that is one awesome piece! I love the work you do!

22. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will mount them to the cross member and maybe add some supports to the shoulder bar. My dads Edmunds has them mounted directly to the shoulder bar with no extra support but I did want something a little stronger than that.

23. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Steve, Nice work on Malloy's window!!! Did Tom's Dad built Carrell speedway? think I heard that he did all the gradeing, Tom has a great race car collection, Mark Hart does the restorations, Works for him full time. Pat

24. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Heading to Phoenix, in a couple of hours, for a weekend vintage meet on the Phoenix Mile. I will be wheeling the Carl Schulz #15 Boyle Valve Spl. 1927 Miller replica.
    If you are there, stop by and say HI!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

1. That window is really something! 2.Black Vette, It's neat how you got the tranny to work like that, and you end up with a built in shifter. 3. Thanks to Neil for the Nance piece for my project, had given up trying to find one....Toying with using a reversed starter bellhousing, and maybe eliminate mix / match problems with various motors and flywheels, any one out there have any interchange experience with Quartermaster stuff? (already have 7 1/4"flywheel and 2 disc clutch to use)

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Rootie, I love your new avatar, but danged if I can remember working on that car!

27. toml24

toml24

1957 California Racing Association Ascot Stadium Gardena poster. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

28. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Does anybody know how to get a hold of Jack Crawford? I think he is in NewYork. PM me if you do. Trying to research an Edmunds car that was once his

29. Here's a few more from last weekend's Rollie Beale 150 at Toledo Speedway.
    Again sorry for the poor cell phone camera pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. KKx125

KKx125

BZ,What fuel cell are you using.I have an Edmunds with an original allumium cell which constantly contaminates the methanol.Could you please help with Details. Cant wait to see your finished project,Thanks Gordon.