Register now to get rid of these ads!

October 2010 Banger meet OOOO Scary

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Paul B

Paul B

2. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

'Trick or Treat' question for those that know here... I had a rod cap come loose on my banger and I shut it down before much damage was done, but the rod was toast ( none of the rod nuts were cotter pinned,some kind of self-locking nuts hve been on it for the last 21 years with no failure till now). One small nick on the crank journal that dressed up fine. I have a balanced crank and noticed that all the rods have been shaved on the wrist-pin ends and a little on the crank end of the rods. So, were the rods shaved to equal weight of each other? And will it hurt things to assemble it back with a rod of un-equal weight? The rod I have to replace with is a full 28 grams heavier than the other three. The engine is basically stock at this point but I have parts and plans to go with a Burns single carb downdraft intake, 97 stromberg or 94 ford carb, Winfield 1A cam (I found that this cam may be too much lift/duration), Mallory single point dist. and still need a compatible head to work with the setup. Thats after I get it back running with the stock gear to be sure of smooth operation. Thanks in advance for advice from my Banger Brothers. Easy on the 'Trick or Treat'. :D

3. i am going to go out on a limb here and say yes the one heavy rod will affect the engine. if you already know that it is heavier, why not take off some of the weight to get them closer at least.
    tk

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The rods are not only total weight but end for end if done correctly.

More than that did the rod scratch the cranks radii

5. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Thanks for your reply. 28 grams = 1 oz. that is alot of difference in weight, guess I better get to grinding! Anyone else want weigh in on this subject?

6. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Thanks Bluto, you are correct sir on the end to end weight. If this was a high RPM engine there would be no question about balancing all rods to match. I was told by area model A guys not worry about it but I really wanted the expert advice that you guys all have on the H A M B. The crank dressed out fine from the one small nick the exiting rod left. Thanks guys.

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Small nicks don't get smaller.........

8. This may be more than you wanted to know but here we go, model "A" rod specification as to balance weight big end 552 grams+-1 gram small end 198 grams +-1 gram source Mac's 28 31 ford catalog page 55, 2009 2010 . I'm sure this is for a standard size rod. You might want to take a look at the SU1R cam it is a little milder than the 1A. For a good all purpose cam a stock "B" is a good choice. I did run a SU1A with a single down draft "BB" Winfield.

9. Paul B

Paul B

I spoke with Squeek, he was out of them. Told me call Mac's direct. Left a message on Steves a machine.

10. 97

PM sent.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  11. windy

windy

[​IMG]As promised here are pics of the head showing the water jackets & combustion chamber.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

is it me.....or does anyone else not see the pictures?

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

No pictures this side of the Atlantic ...........!

14. andyg

andyg

the bonneville project has begun!!! stay tuned...

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

That's It.... YOU SUCK:D:D:D:D
    you cant do that we need pics or something
    I wont be able to sleep.... I hope we don't have to what till next mouth:eek:
    Dreaming of banging her on the salt. opps I mean bangers on the salt :D

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

No pics in CT

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

It was a little cold on the ride to work today But she still ran good
    [​IMG]

At lunch a took a ride up to the farm I got my car from and took some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Gaters

Gaters

It's you, they're B-E-A utiful!! You're missing out.

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Finally managed to get from this.............

[​IMG]

to this...................

[​IMG]

Now all i have to do is wait for the summer...........:eek:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  20. andyg

andyg

here's a hint.....recycled bonneville parts!!! I've been dreaming of this project for a while!

21. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Is that a kit type convertable top or did you get it made to suit your irons, did you replace the timber in the irons?

Regards
    Brendan

22. Thought I might share this with ya'll, it was brought to my attention by my club's treasurer. Go to the August 2010 part of the info http://mafca.com/communications.html.
    I had no idea but this has been out there for all of the MAFCA members to see for a few months now lol. Kinda cool and I thought it might interest a few of you fellas. Just doing my part to get younger people like myself interested by showing its not just a wisdom of years hobby and they took note.-Weeks

23. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Brendan,

Yes it's a kit i bought from Classtique.

http://classtiqueupholstery.info/

yes used the original irons that came with the car,replaced all the wood in the irons and made new cross members. Had a bit of help with the final fitting from a professional hood maker, he commented on how well the top was made.

Keith

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  24. Just checked the Banger thread an saw this.

I definately can flip you a right hook bellhousing, and maybe a pedal set..... need to do a check what I have.

Freebie. You just cover the shipping.

pm me

25. I really like the top, it fits your roadster excellently.-Weeks

26. tiquer

tiquer

Hi I`m new on here and this has most likely been talked about already but hear goes anyway. Many go to the overhead conversations because of the improved breathing, but the cost for me is prohibitive.So I am curious as to who on here may have built there own Turbo charger set up? Seem s it would take care of the breathing issue and be a fun project too.

27. stock30fordcoupe

stock30fordcoupe
    from SoCal

New to the HAMB and Model A's.

3 months ago I found a 1930 Stock ford coupe hiding under a tarp, at a yard sell.
    After talking with the family a few times and a promise to Not Hot rod it and keep it looking Stock, after a month we had a deal and its in my garage.
    It still has 90+% of it's factory paint. Most of the factory tools.
    But interior is dry rotted.
    I plan to keep it 90-95% stock.

I'm interested if any one has a USED interior, Some rips, tears and stains OK

I have a question about a Head I have,
    The old head leaked water from the head gasket and the records the owner kept showed this as a on going problem.
    I remove the old head and found it Terribly rusted and the flat face from water jacket to the outer edge 1/8 of a inch.
    I have a second head that between the # 2 and 3 cylinder the center large water passage is not there on it. The block is 1929 and the both it and the old ford marked head has the port.
    The second head has NO markings on it any where.
    Attached is pic's of the top and bottom.

Could any on ID this Head?

Attached Files:

28. Thought I would have better luck here than the want ads so I hope you guys don't mind. I need an adapter to mount a Stromberg 97 to a Winfield manifold. The manifold has a 2-1/4" square base with the mounting holes 1-5/8" on center. I think the manifold is for a B winfield carb. The carb base hole is 1-1/2". I had heard Specialty Ford Parts might have them but I can't seem to get through with phone calls. If anyone has one to sell or knows where I can find one you can PM or email. Thanks Ken

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

PM BCChopit. He can make one for you.

30. tiquer

tiquer

Anyone besides me using the Datsun electronic distributors?