Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 ford coupes....where are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanCollins, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Well its been a year since I last posted. I have got some done on the '40.

The floors were full of holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a roll of thin paper and taped it on the old floor boards and rubbed my dirty finger on the paper to outline the beads. Then I transfered them on to the new metal.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was able to save the driveshaft tunnel and the left and right support for the trans cover and I used the left master cylinder inspection hole. It took 28 pieces in 8 sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I also worked on the frame and replaced some damaged areas where someone used a cutting torch to make the holes bigger in the X brace to fit some exhaust through. I also cleaned up the front crossmember. The right side was notched out at sometime for fuel pump clearance for a sbc that was adapted to a 39 trans in the late 50's. Leaving all of that in there except the motor was gone is being replaced with a sbc 350.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then sandblasted it and had it powder coated 60% gloss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got along ways to go.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! Great progress. Keep the pedal to the metal and you'll be on the road.

4. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Still around, and still the most beautiful car ever made.(In my humble opinion!)

5. MLK

MLK

Floorboards and frame both look great!

Mike

6. Thanks for the kind words. I did get the front axle installed as shown in the picture in the above post. The front axle was dropped many years ago. I know 50 years of the cars history and know that it was dropped as early as '59. It now has a Durant front spring and P&J's front shocks and mounts.

The rear axle housing had pitting on the bearing surface, had those machined and repair sleeves pressed on and then powder coated. The left rear axle has very few threads left , so it is headed to the machine shop to get built up and then re-threaded and a new keyway cut in. It has a Durant rear spring too.

The firewall is minus 70 some holes and is in primer as is the roof and both doors. Still need to make the rocker panels.

I would like to be driving it this time next year. I'll post some more updates as I go along. I work in a factory full time and do this stuff at night and weekends. Doesn't seem like I get as much done as I think I should.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  7. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

Guys...I know everybodys asking where all the 40's are....but reconsider the 37 and 38 Standards (sorry Ryan). The are a very cool 30's-40's design..and cheap!
    OK.. a lot of people say they are the "ugly duckling"(??)..but wait till one nice one makes the cover of a mag or some hot dog builder does one that blowes everyone away.....then the prices go through the ceiling..demand goes along with it! This kind of thing happens in every vintage market.
    37 and 38 Fords...the affordable 40 Ford!
    "Strike while the iron is hot!"
    unky D......

8. Me too! I have this shot in my files. It's rare to see a '40 with Moons and the stance is killer. I think this was at the Nat's in Memphis and it's running a Tennessee plate.

9. I have to change directions to keep from getting burned out. I started working on the dash and filled in the radio hole for a change of pace. I then put some color on it. Seeing the paint inspires me to go back to welding up rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I painted it black and red. I took over to a friend who spilt the 2 tone with some 1 shot ivory. I haven't taken any pictures of that yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to work on the rust repair panels.

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to be able to mix it up once in a while. Besides, it all has to be done at some point. Love the black & red dash. Red and black upholstery would sure look nice too.
    Nice work.

11. anyone have pics of the yellow 39or 40 from the hollywood knights is it still around?

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  13. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Mine is not traditional but it definately has some kustom mods to it.

Attached Files:

14. gussmt

gussmt

HI,you will be surprise the amount of this coupes than u can find in Argentina,i know is a little bit to far a way ,but the price ,quality,will be worth to pay for the freight.
    USA Customs can not say nothing because u are importing American cars ,the only thing that u need is an invoice.Good luck

15. DougHH

DougHH

there was so much 'yes' going on in this picture until i noticed the headlights, side mirror and rear wheels outside the guard. :(

16. Chavy Chaves

Chavy Chaves

gotta love the forty. I have a tudor sedan 54k. Soon to be a rod. Have a 4in drop axle old 2jug intake and some other parts to piss off the v8 club guys.

17. This looks exactly like the one Gary Fioto was building in his shop in Levittown before moving down to Fla a number of years ago.

18. These are some pictures of the before and after of the firewall. It had over 70 holes in it. I want the cowl vent to stay, so those rivets are still there and the wiper bracket holes and the emergency brake assembly holes are still there. If you look closely at the passenger windshield you can see the 1968 Sedalia, Mo. City Sticker. That was the only piece of glass that was still good. I'm going to make a frame for it and hang it on my wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  19. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Nice work Keith. Your build reminds me of what I had to do. Here's a bump for this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mj40's

mj40's

Here is a update on mine. Finished now and enjoying the ride.

Attached Files:

21. DMC

DMC
    from SC

Here's my 39 Standard. She ain't much but I'm tryin!

Attached Files:

22. mj40's

mj40's

Looks good to me. Just have fun doing it.

23. Thanks Gene, your floors look great.

mj40's I can't wait to drive mine.

DMC your Standard looks great. I have a 40 Standard 2 dr sedan for my next build.

24. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know where all the coupes went, but mine went to North Carolina to live with a buddy of my uncles.

[​IMG]

I have built a bunch of cars in my time, but man...I really got to diggin that car. If my Model A wasn't INSANELY jealous, I might have kept it..

-Abone.

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

-
    Looks great. Love the wheel choice.

26. BCR

BCR

Wow, that is looking good Keith. Looks like your keeping busy.

Mike

27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

If mine looks as good as yours when its done,it will never be for sale.Your car is a knockout.I cant believe you let it go.

28. Lazy v8's bitchen 39 deluxe.
    [​IMG]

29. I'll never forgive myself for selling mine.