Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Offy 220

Offy 220

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the comments concerning the paint on the Watson / Foyt sprint car. I painted it back in early 2000's in my dad's garage. Dean Jeffries originally painted the car, I copied it to best of my ability from pictures. It is basically black / white and red with pearl added to the paint. My cousin who is a sign painter by trade did the lettering. Everything else on the car was done in the garage by my dad and I.

It was recently sold at the RM auction back in August. I glad to see that the new owner has put it out in shows. The car sat in our garage for years, I am glad it is finally appreciated.

Offy 220

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool. Ifn I drive my truck out your way next year, can I get something splashed on it?!?!?! Gary

3. Offy 220

Offy 220

Hi Gary,

I am definitely "not" a painter by any means! I can't tell you how many times I block sanded and colored sanded to get it right. It would have been easier to have had a professional painter with a spray booth paint it but my dad and I decided we wanted to do all the work ourselves. I have learned to respect talent, especially when it comes to paint. Thanks again for the kind comments. Most of all, I am grateful to see the car out, not tucked away in a garage.

Offy 220

4. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Amen brother!

I've seen that picture somewhere before, wasn't that something that Johnnie White came up with?

5. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I think the top to bottom - as viewed from the side - dimension of the wing is also mandated. Where that maximum depth has to located along the length of the wing is not. Nor is the nose radius. There are some games that could be played there but I haven't seen anyone doing anything in that regard. They'd rather just stand the wing up and cause drag - might as well use a sheet of plywood with sideboards.

I think that WOO uses same basic wing rules as the All Stars.

Maybe Butch Evans could fill us in about this.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  6. Offy 220

Offy 220

I know it is not popular with some of the current sprint car fans but I agree with Rootie and Speedwrench -

Offy 220

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe you're right, White was the driver, kinda looks like something Dizz Wilson might have come up with.

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

ditto !!!!

9. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I'm not a fan of wings either. Denny Z

10. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Steve, Sounds like a great night, Racing on the track with the legend Howard kaeding and Leroy Van Conett, Howard came buy when we were running Walt James deal last year. nice guy!! I was telling him my car was steering like a Mack truck and Howard said with a smile... only men drove these cars in the day, no girls or little boys Ray and I laughed, hope he makes it this year, Good car turn out... Jim Perry must be busy bringing out 3 cars every event! Pat

11. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I built about 2000 of those wings even though I was not a fan of them. I just saw a nitch and filled it. For yrs. I went to Oshkosh and picked the brains of the best in the world. We also built a 50mph. smoke tunnel and used 1/4 scale wings to see the effects of the side boards when in yaw. That being said, what do you want to know? If I don't know I will mark the responce with BS. :))))))

12. the shadow

the shadow

thanks for the comments on the wings, all my questions were answered. just wanted to know what the side plates did as well as the angle ect. I talked to a local sprinter who also runs wingless as well, he said he runs way faster witht the wing.

Paul

13. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hey Josh: Just noticed we passed 600 pages........WOW!!! John S.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

And 12000.....err... make that 12001 posts.

15. baldtireman

baldtireman

While I would rather race without a wing,I would rather have it up there in a flip. They are noisy,though,when you are bouncing upside-down!!:D

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Wings take "driver" outta the cars.

The speed is impressive, and I make it a point to catch at least ONE wing race a year, but I am a NON-WING guy.

(and I grew up on wings) :cool:

600 pages. PHENOMENAL.

Thanks guys!

J Shaw

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bobby Unser puts the fine tune on his Pontiac powered hillclimb champ car 1959. Whatever he was doing musta worked, as he got it well hooked up and scored his first PP win as a owner/driver.

Attached Files:

• bu1.jpg
      bu1.jpg
      File size:
      110.2 KB
      Views:
    • bu2.jpg
      bu2.jpg
      File size:
      188.5 KB
      Views:
  18. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

When I drive the Thomas car as a sprint car there is alot of sky out there, with no cage or wing.

Attached Files:

19. baldtireman

baldtireman

Wonder what kind of chassis this was?:p

20. And check out those chunky "winter tread" tyres on the rear.

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It is listed as a a KK4000 chassis and I think it may have been a ex-Zink car though I really don't know for sure. I'm sure Bobby and Louie worked it over pretty good though.

The tires were special made for Pikes Peak, and had ground up walnut shells in them. As the tread wore down the shells would come out and expose new rubber. Only had to last a little over 12 miles.

22. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thanks for your input.

I was just looking for some confirmation from someone more knowledgeable that my reading of the rules and my assumptions regarding the state of development were somewhat correct.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  23. While I apologize for the low-res quality of these camera phone pix, (camera batteries died on me after just a few shots) I thought you might enjoy these shots from this past weekend's Rollie Beale 150 Silver Crown race at Toledo Speedway.

The Rodeo Bar car of Rollie Beale himself.
    [​IMG]

Maybe someone can help with a little history on this one.
    [​IMG]

While these pix are current and obviously from the event, I thought them poignant-in this image, the winner was Jerry Coons Jr, who is Shane Hmiel's teammate. As most of you know, Shane was hurt pretty badly at Terre Haute last week. During the race, Shane's car was parked in the infield quarter mile for all to see, and when Jerry won, they brought both cars to victory lane to honor Shane and Jerry together. What a roller-coaster week for a team and their families. If enough people feel strongly these two pix don't belong here, I'll happily remove them or the moderators are welcome to do as they see fit.

[​IMG]

To bring the Rollie Beale 150 full-circle, the gentleman in the plaid shirt is Rollie Beale himself. In this pix, he is congratulating the 2010 Silver Crown series champion, Levi Jones. Again, if enough folks here don't want these two current-day pix here, I will happily remove them but I think in light of the namesake of the event and the long history that is USAC racing itself, they are poignant to the thread topic.

[​IMG]

http://www.usacracing.com/silvercrown_index/news_sc/4158.html

24. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Here's the action from Hershey Pa. / AACA National Fall Meet Hershey Region / Friday October 8th 2010 action from Hershey Stadium. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  25. gtxrider

gtxrider

Seeing that #43 TQ reminds me of Pinebrook on Firday nights. That Triumph had its own sound.

26. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Len Duncan drove that TQ ( #43 ) back in the day. I saw him drive that at Convention Hall in Atlantic City NJ back in the 70's. :D

27. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

The 16 car belonged to Carl Forberg who was from the Detroit area. He was a driver in the 30's and 40's, if memory serves me correctly, before he became a car owner.

I think the car had several drivers, but the two who standout the most to me were Pancho Carter, Forberg's son-in-law, and Ralph Ligouri.

I remember Ralphie dumping the car at Terre Huate in 67 or 68 in one of the uglier crashes that I had seen to that point in time. Thought he'd killed himself for sure.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

29. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

I remember reading about the walnut shell thing when I was a kid (way long ago). They were Goodyear Suburbanite snow tires I believe.

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

And let me tell you, after they were spun 12 miles up a gravel road at high speed, they were turned into one nasty looking tire. :)