Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rusting away in Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newport, Sep 1, 2010.

1. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

This makes me want to go looking!

2. There's alot of stuff out there, it's just a case of having the time to look and working out how the land lies, and where stuff will be, check out old townsites, check out bush tracks, and go along gravel roads- binoculars help- and don't drive onto someones property without permission, step over the fence if it's a paddock and walk in if you want to look at something, if there's a house nearby always ask. And never take anything from a fenced in, inhabited place- if there's no fences and its a town tip or roadside tip it's open game.
    Ask a case point. I checked out a spot on tuesday i'd driven past a few times on the way to a farm clearing sale. The place is an old townsite an hour and a half from my place, out in the bush there I found a 49 single spinner sedan that had been smashed hard to the front, a 54 ish customline sedan, a hacked up fx/ fj holden ute, an austin a30 sedan, a (austin/ morris -it's a tiny little pommy roadster thing?), a valiant wagon, and a sedan that i'm not sure of- looks like a 34 chev sedan body but wood braced and has a front axel similar to that of a vw bettle? any idea's let me know- will post pics if i can.
    Oh and got to the farm sale and saw a complete but un-restored 28 chev roadster pickup (hacked down from a tourer), (pannels riveted together) that wasn't running sell for $6500. I shook my head at that one- went home and stopped on the way at a roadside tip and filled up the back of the ute with kombi bits, early holden bits, and odd late 20's early 30's pannels. - I also saw an ek' ish ute, a fj ute and a chrysler truck cab in another roadside tip on the way home.

3. That will be the Chevy with Knee action Suspension.
    My '35 Pontiac coupe has the same.

4. Probably an old Morris 8 or small Vauxhall.

Attached Files:

5. KMAjacko

KMAjacko

that jailbar would go for good money here in new zealand

6. thats a clean harley, for sale?

7. newport

newport

Harley's not for sale. In the shed is some Nortons and Triumphs all real early stuff. The Harley started on the second kick.

8. I'm still trying to get hold of it, will see how it goes. The cab has a few dents but is still pretty clean. the new landowner wants to keep it as the gearbox will fit another truck the have that will be restored "one day".

9. fitzee

fitzee

Great post.what is the deal on all these cars and trucks.can you pick them up? are they on private land? someone own them.I see a lot of cool projects.

10. newport

newport

Nearly all the one's that I have posted I can have but the cost of getting them from where they are is pretty high. These mostly are on cattle stations owned by one of the biggest mining companies in the world and all they want at the moment is to dig a big hole and bury the lot.
    Not only the old iron but history going back over a hundred years with horse and buggy stuff as well. Am working on the best way to get the good stuff out of there before anything bad happens.

11. How about getting yourself registered as a "Historical Society" with the aim of protecting Industrial Heritage. Then get a permit to protect all that old shit.

12. newport

newport

34 GAZ
    Good idea just not sure how to go about it. The manager of these stations is a mate and will give me the heads up when they start to really insist on digging the big hole. He doesn't want the old iron and historical stuff buried either.

13. Is there a Chamber of Commerce in the middle of nowhere ? I think you start there.

14. newport

newport

No only the East Pilbara Shire.The closest town and most in the East Pilbara were originally owned by the mining companys and were closed towns for many years but most are open now.
    My best bet is with the station manager giving me the heads up even if I have to drag everything out of sight until I can move it.
    I had a much better look last week when I was up there and only a few of them are worth saving.

15. rustyhood

rustyhood

Looks like you found a scattered toy box. Do what moms always told us, gather them up so you can play with them later!:D

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

They look great and restorable .Im from the northeast Philadelphia area and some of the stuff I have brought back is that bad,,,,,

17. newport

newport

Anyone take an educated guess at what size Poly might be in this old Dodge Truck. Should have got the engine number while I was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. or yesterday................

19. George

George

Best I can see, it's a 277/318 A Poly. Intake seals the valley on these.

20. flatoz

flatoz

poly looks like a 313 or 318

21. All of the ones i've posted are in farming areas on private properties about 250kms from perth western australia. Most of them have been farmers vechicles, so are dented, pulled apart or hacked up. Most of the good ones they won't sell or they want stupid amounts of money for them. Or the best reason " i'm going to restore it". So they sit there and rust away which is sad. Also, there is a bit of rainfall around here so all of the vechicles have alot of rot in them, compared to the ones that newport has pics of.

22. Here are some crappy phone pics of the cars i saw the other day near me. the 35 ish ford truck is in newman behind the old busses on the side of the road, the guy who owns it didn't know what year it was or what brand- Not for sale re said -he's going to take it down to perth and "restore it".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that an early Unimog next to the 35?

Doc.

24. Here are some more pics for you vewing pleasure. The combi was saved by a guy that does them up. cost the bloke $300 as i remember. the anglia 5 window was a old stock- piced it up off the side of the road for free- i got excited and lifted it onto the back of my ute and took it home for yard art- and some parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. possibly mate, i didn't really look. i checked google earth to try and get a street view but the map is more that three years old and there's no streetview for there. I can pm you the guys number or i can take some pics when up there in a few weeks if you want mate.

26. Tim G

Tim G

Awesome finds, some look very saveable too! :)

27. Tyler i wish i got my hands on that splitty... shit happens.
    Mate i think that single spinner needs its arse end cut off!and save the roof...
    You need to do your own calender mate, i will buy one..

28. Looks like the old VW pickup has done better over the years than the old Fords.
    Next to the pink pickup is a pretty rare Austin A40 ute with the Aussie roof. Not the same as a British A40 ute.

Attached Files:

29. 34- some more pics of the austin ute- the sedan green sedan was nearby. the ute was pretty rusty- the land they're on is all salt lake country. Some more pics of the single spinner for one of the guys. Also some pics of the cars i picked up on the weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ does anyone know what type of car this is

30. toddc

toddc

The roadster/tourer is a Vauxhall. Notsure about the sedan.