Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do in Australia in December

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemisteve, Oct 17, 2010.

1. I'll be in Queensland, AU Dec 2nd (arrive the 4th) to 29th this year - mostly visiting some friends, partly maybe job hunting as things have been pretty bleak here. I also really want to meet some Aussie HAMBers and see some cool wrong-side-of-the-road hot rods!

Any suggestions on what's happening, when and where? May even be able to bring some items over if someone is needing something (as long as it fits in my luggage!).

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Great, we're looking at the wettest, worst weather cyclone season this summer in 35 years. maybe as bad as the 1893 flloods in Brisbane. I hope not but that's what the weather people are saying and the government is taking it seriously.

On the other hand, I'll be around, on the right side of the road!

Remember which way to look when you cross. (not a joke!)

Where in Queensland will you be? It's big.

p.s.You realise December is party month and everyone is at the beach, it's school summer holidays etc. Just sayin.

3. GlenC

GlenC

Yep, Queensland is a BIG place alright!

The capital city is Brisbane, 2nd biggest is The Gold Coast, about 60 miles east of Brisbane. There's major regional cities all the way north to Cairns, the further north you get, the hotter it gets.

It's full summer in December, school holidays start the middle of the month and go to the end of January. Bring light clothes, swimwear, hats, sunblock, yer cossies, (but not if yer going into north Queensland waters, stingers and mean ol' crocs will getcha)

Cheers, Glen.

4. 63Compact

63Compact

Looks like you guys got it covered.

5. 2 chicks!!!! (sorry couldnt help myself )

6. We'll be staying in Jacob Wells with friends, plan to do the touristy thing (Zoo, wildlife parks, head up to Cairns, the Great Barrier Reef) but also wanted to see some hot rod stuff. Any shows, swaps going on?

Thanks,
    Steve

PS - 2 chicks would be way too much (plus my wife may take offense :D)

7. LabRat

LabRat

Sounds like you should come west to Perth Steve .... :D

8. jjordan

jjordan

Australian sprint cars, I think there is a track in Brisbane. By that time some of the young American talent will be over there. They usually get 6-10 weeks work in our winter. Scan the parking lot for cool cars. Probably get some introductions to local rodders, racers. I have found Australians, in general, are very proud to show off their cars, shops.

9. I'm in Northern NSW about a 45 min drive from the Gold Coast.

Too bad you aren't here in November as the Qld Hot Rod show is Nov. 20-21.

There really isn't any shows happening during December.

10. Deu55

Deu55

Hey Steve not much doing at that time but Iam not far from Jacobs Well...Pm ...Rod.

11. RI5KY

RI5KY

Come to melbourne for rod & kustom pile up on the 5th!

12. Queensland?

Sun, surf, Bikinis.

And the worlds most beautiful womem.

Did I say Bikinis.

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember, you are coming over during summer time here. It will be hot as hell for you so be sure to buy a squeeze bottle for water and drink water constantly. If you want to work here, get a 457 visa but be sure to bring money with you. With a 457 you CANNOT get credit to buy a car, etc. Since you are part of the Commonwealth it may be better and easier to get a residency visa, give it a try.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

60 miles EAST of Brisbane? I hope you can swim!

Doc.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! All sun tanned blondes.... :)

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Watch the Poms retain the Ashes..............:rolleyes:

17. Yes, It's sprint cars and drags time.

18. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are an insomniac. :D

19. John in Oz

John in Oz

PM sent to ya, I'm not far from where you are going to be at, mind nothing is very far from anything out here, it's only a small country :D

It is supposed to be a bad cyclone season this year and not bull don't go in the water up north at that time of the year, there are very dangerous stingers in the water and the croc's only bite when they close their mouth anyway, mind you so do the snakes and always check under the toilet seat for red back spiders in the out house and shake you boots off by banging them on the ground so any spders that might have got in over night will be bumped out.

All kidding aside, I have been diving on the reef and the best part of the reef is way lower than Cairns because it is too close to land up there and covered in a lot of mud etc.

You'll have fun here though and the sheilas will love that accent, hehehe

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  20. badgeree

badgeree

Plenty to do in Melbourne in December, but it's a bit far for a day trip.
    You'll have to just suffer hanging in Qld. surrounded by Bikini clad babes.:rolleyes:
    Forget about Crocs and Stingers, just don't drink their beer, there's a lot more suffering involved.;)

21. HotRodJimbo

HotRodJimbo

I'll be in Melbourne from Dec 8th through the 15th. Looks like I'll miss the event on the 5th. Anything else going on? Been there a few times. Will be staying in St Kilda. I once was there in March and got to visit a Cool Show at a hall on the west side of Melboure (forgot the name) was super cool. had rockabilly bands and a wide variety of very well built rods. I alos got to participate in a rod run from Melbourne to Ballat that ended at a big car and air show. Love the car culture down uder even if I dont understand your affection for four door hot rods :) Anything you could point me to would be great!

22. Me either!

23. Hi Hemisteve

I know its not in your plans, however if you are sick of the Queensland women and beer, head south. Would be a great time of year for a drive down the coast through the State of New South Wales. I know I am biased, but our beaches, beers and women are better. INHO (Not in order either). No croc's or stingers on our beaches either. We just have sharks....sorry but we also have the spiders and snakes on land as well. Thankfully the bastards have not figured out how to swim yet!

Check this site out, shows all the stuff happening over the month in NSW - http://www.pinky.com.au/NSWdec2010.htm

24. The crocs and stingers have their own beer?? WOW .. :eek::D

25. Yeah Lifestylz, its called XXXX becasue when a choc bites you the first thing you say is "Oh XXXX!!" :D

26. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

be sure to attend the Grandview Hotel Christmas party at the Cleveland Point..........a life experience that should not be missed.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010