Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 chev p/u on 87 chev p/u frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jtbloye, Oct 17, 2010.

1. jtbloye

jtbloye

HEY TERRY here are the pics of my truck . SORRY i could not post them on your message board AND THEY SAID IT COULDNT BE DONE

Attached Files:

2. are those the size wheels/tires you are going to use? no offense , it's a bit wide and high up front

3. DrJ

DrJ

Put some "front wheel drive" wheels on it with a set of any fifties car hubcaps that will stay on the wheels and WWW's and you got it.

4. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Why put pics up of shoddy work?

5. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

Wow the track isn't as wide as I thought it would be. I'm sure some custom offset wheels would correct it. I wonder how much you could shorten the control arms without screwing up the geometry?

6. jtbloye

jtbloye

what is shoddy about it THIS truck was in a field since 1983 i thought i gave it a second chance

7. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Im just asking why 6 detail shots of painted over rustholes?

8. jtbloye

jtbloye

box sides are not done im going with woody look on the box This was a father & son project we know its not perfect BUT we like it

9. The Shocker

The Shocker

Dont get discouraged by what sum people say on here man.A father and son project is what its all about.As said before the right off set wheels on it (especially upfront ) will go along way to make the wheels and tires tuck under.I have a soft spot for 47-54 Chevy trucks myself as i have owned 3 in my life and just bought the 3rd one yesterday .Mines gunna be a driver as well :)...

10. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

Shinysideup... Clearly you have little knowledge of AD trucks. The point of the post is that its commonly thought that a newer GM fullsize 1/2 ton chassis are way to wide for a donor chassis. But Jtbloye did it and proved that the swap is workable. Hey he will have a real truck that can haul and tow and probobly for dirt cheap. So if the tires stick out a bit to bad for you. He and his kid will be driving by you and you will still be sitting at you computer poking holes at everything you see. PS feel free to correct my gramar to if you like.

11. jchav62

jchav62

Looks pretty good. When I saw the title of this thread I didn't know what to expect. Back in the 90's I saw a 51 Chevy on a 73-87 chassis and it sat way high and wide. This one, not so much. I like the idea of the negative offset wheels, WWW's and caps. Good work... I like the fact that it's a father/son project. Awesome!!

12. I'm not sure who "THEY" are, but I would believe you miss-heard them.

13. glssrn

glssrn
    from SW Iowa

Looks great!! Will make a great driver. Guys it is not suppose to be a show truck! You and your son will enjoy it for a long time, and he will remember this project for the rest of his life. Again great job.:D

14. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Where?

15. in my first post , i wasn't knocking the workmanship or the joy you got out of doing a father/son project. if you both like it that's fine , enjoy it all you want. you accomplished something that many just dream of...rebuilding an old car and putting it back on the road. for every project that gets done i'm sure there is a dozen or more that do nothing but collect dust....many here on the Hamb

but...YOU said you were told it couldn't be done , and posted pictures to prove them wrong. well , in my mind it is still not done. when i look at the pictures i can't help think how much nicer it would be if it was about 4" lower and about 3" narrower. that's how i would like it , you obviously prefer it different

just take it as constructive criticism , no one bats 1000....me included. i have done some things that later i wonder what i was thinking of. you didn't think everyone was going to jump in and give you an atta boy , did you?

here is my advice if you are in the mood for it: as for negative offset/front wheel drive wheels , i don't care for the look. i suggest you look into narrowed A-arms and dropped spindles..or leave it the way it is and just tell us to $@#*

16. Junk Truck

Junk Truck
    from Oregon

Thank you, I have too much time and money invested and now I know I can proceed. I might try some positive offset wheels and smaller diameter tires. Terry

17. powmia

powmia

Screw what other people say man if your building something Old we should all dig it, with that being said I have a 51 on aa 71 c10 frame. Wheels with the right off set worked great. I ended up lowering mine 5" in the front so I took 3/4" from the control arms and rolled the fenders. Keep on with the father son project it means more to your boy than it does to ass holes on here

18. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Admirable for time spent to do a father son project, the most important part of the project is the time spent togeather and memories it will create! no worries what others think it was not built for them...

19. FWD car offset wheels in a 5x5" pattern are going to be a real bitch to try to find.

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

glad you saved the old truck , and even better that you built it with your son , value of the truck priceless , enjoy it and i hope it brings many grins

21. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Looks great man!!! I did a simular frame swap on my 65 f100, I used a caprice 4dr frame the wheelbase was within an inch of the short bed p/u. Swap worked out real nice.

22. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

I'm curious how the cab frame mounts worked for you.
    When I put my '58 on the '81 the width measurements of the frame under the cabs were exactly the same on both trucks. This meant I was able to grind the rivets off the body mounts and reuse the 4 original frame "tabs" on the later model frame with no fabrication. ' made for a really good start.

Future unitiaited reader: Do not interpret this as "a '57 - '59 cab will bolt right up to a '73 - '87 frame". :rolleyes:

Any pics of the process?

23. We learn by making mistakes and correcting them. Sometimes that might take 3,4,5 or more try's. If you didn't make any mistakes, you would have no sense of pride and accomplishment, and would never learn a thing. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! You will carry on with what you learn from this for the rest of your day's CHEERS. BDM

24. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Don't listen to their "constructive criticism". It's a neat old truck. I don't know why some people feel they have to talk shit on other peoples projects.....

25. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

You are not the first to do this swap. I have seen it before and with wheel mods it looked perfect. As for the rear you can get fibberglass fenders that are wider if no other solution comes to mind. All power to you for trying it and I am sure it will be perfect when finished.

26. I'm thinking what a better project than to widen the stock rear fenders with steel. That will earn you some bones here on the forum!!!!

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I do say congrats for yourself and your son sharing time and learning together. Nothing better than that. And I also don't know who "they" are, but as far as couldn't be done - in 120 miles of bopping around Phoenix yesterday and today I saw three either on a late truck frame or with a late truck front end. It is fairly common. And,you can tell them from a mile away. I do have to side with the too high and too wide crowd as well. Narrowing the arms and such rarely ever works well with basic geometry, so just let it fly and enjoy the fruit of your labors. Don't worry about what is said here.

28. jtbloye

jtbloye

HEY GUYS when I said i was told it could not be done i was talking about my wife and frends they bet me i could not take that old truck and do anything with it and i would not have it done by june 2011 2 years well it will be done and my son and i will be up $100.00 my son and i thank you for all your input we know its not for everybody but what a blast it has been for us thanks again

29. ironpile

ironpile

Like I said ,if you like it ,do it. Personally I have plenty of ugly ,but I`m HAPPY.

30. lowburban

lowburban

You can shorten those arms about 1 1/2 inches before you start running into problem geometry wise.