Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions for Hunnert 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GovernorKC, Oct 12, 2010.

1. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I knew the "beer in hand" comment would get you going!

Seriously though. There were people running around blacking out their white letters so they could get in. That would be a more enjoyable task for them in the evening, with a beer for comfort....

2. voodoochili

voodoochili

I second Plowboy's comments, especialy the park where you want scenario. The show was great though!

3. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

...I was not made aware that there was no outdoor drinking in the town square. We had our cooler in the truck all weekend...and it was never out of beer.:eek::D

Multiple pre and post party locations would be cool if they were close enough...people could cruise from one to the other...however it is just another site to organize.

4. lowelife

lowelife

I talked to a cop in the square satuday night and he said we could drink as long as it was in a cup. We walked to the gas station bought a pack of plastic cups and drank a 12 pack in the sqaure with no problems.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I would be willing to volunteer to help segregate the parking so the guys who don't get in can have a spot to park away from spectator cars, any input or others willing to lend a bit of time? We would have to get the Czars blessings of course.

6. IH TRUCK

IH TRUCK
    from d town IL

wow a lot of good ideas / one line at a time no over heat / segregated parking/ pre inspection on friday with beer in hand / how about a place to donate non hunert parts we have a few we do not like any more the smallest thing can stop your roll and make you walk a long ways for your own beer but it was all good thanks

7. Further to this suggestion....since there are dedicated streets at Progress City (it really is a city) why not allow clubs to park at certain intersections within the site. They won't have to arrive together, they can meet at the same corner every year and it will help scatter the cars in a reasonably organized fashion.

Also let the clubs preregister. They would be able to self-police the criteria and conduct. That could help alleviate some of the waiting in line and you would have a single club rep to answer to any problems.

8. sasafras

sasafras
    from ohio

I for one am going to say i had a blast. Clinton was awesome. I threw up at the motel to prove it from all the beer i drank that day. Im always for a good time and just cant wait til next year to do it again. No complaints you guys always do good job on the upgrades. Just having something to look forward to each year and party in the process is always the best.

9. ALHOODIE

ALHOODIE
    from arab,al

thought clinton was great, BETTER IDEA move to ALABAMA don't have to worry about weather i know all cops in my town no problem GREAT SHOW, WILL DRIVE FROM ALABAMA again next year

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I like this idea. Maybe even temporarily rename the streets to reflect the show...

Hot Rod St
    Flathead Ln
    Plowboy Cr

Kinda corny, but you could have some fun with it

11. bryan3658

bryan3658

2010 was a geat show with a wide varaity of cars to appreciate. Burgers were good and priced fair. Parking was great and easy in and out thanks to the helpers and police. I would like to see an organized "parade" for lack of better terms. Maybe one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I think it would add some excitement and noise. Gota hear em!

12. Mac_55

Mac_55

Hey guys i figured id drop a little information to possibly help for future events.

I know in previous years the Hunnert was always held a good deal north of here. I am guessing the temps are just that much colder in that short distance . Down this far south we very rarely have cold temps this early in october . For the last 15 or more years , starting on the first of Oct ill spend Oct , Nov and Dec in a treestand whenever i can and i cant remember the last time we had Good cool weather for hunting within the first 2 weeks of october. Its always or atleast has been the last few years , Unseasonably warm in october.

13. Mac_55

Mac_55

Not to jump the gun or anything , but is it a good bet that we will be seeing the Pile Up back in Decatur for next year ?

14. Appleseed

Appleseed

We need to figure out a way to allow people in and out. Car, no ,but people sometimes need meds (not life or death) or have armloads of stuff from the swaps. I can see how humping around a quarter panel all day can be a drag.

It was suggested that we issue a few UV stamps and scanners. The X on the hand won't do. I saw some guy get his hand Xed and immediately take a cell phone pic of it. Who does that? Unless they're sending it to their friends.

15. SPYDER MAN

SPYDER MAN

The pileup was my first and wont be my last. I think the Clinton cruise needed a band outside and maybe turn the other cheek about a cold adult beverage while enjoying the music but can't complain too much about this show. Had a BITCHIN time!

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I have an idea about how to cure the parking issues, but I cant explain it without using my hands.

If it works the way it should there wont be any backlog and the panties in a bunch "your a fuckin asshole" guys can park together, even if they arent together, and circle jerk each other till the cows come home.

I should be able to make the volunteer party this year and maybe I get Magnet alone for 5 minutes and show him something. (no circle jerking involved, get your mind out of the gutter!)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  17. Two guys is not a circle jerk, just an odd Youtube moment

18. magnet

magnet

As far as i am concerned.. there was no problem parking cars.. inside or out.

We parked over 1000 cars in a tad over 2 hours.. it worked well.

People couldn't park together?.. show up together and you can park by each other.. pretty simple.

overheating cars... i thought this was a drive in car show.. you should have worked out your cooling issues thousands of miles ago.. but even then.. pushing in is not a sign of shame.. nothing wrong with pushing old tin... just dont bring it on a trailer... yeah.. you guys know who you are.

We were not parking nazi's.. if guys wanted to park by their friends and there was space available.. we were like.. heck.. go.. we dont care. We just need rows like x and y.. who makes em.. we dont care.

TinMan, Louverdude and my morning crew nailed it and did exactly what we needed.

The problem with letting people park as they like....with no guidance..
    1. They will all park on the edge of the grass and block off the middle wasting a huge amount of space..i mean huge. everybody wants to be in the front row.
    2, once they park they walk off leaving their car.. if you need it moved.. good luck.. you need to have someone standing there when the vehicle is parking saying "yes .. there" or " no you cant park in the fire lane... move it"
    2.The show will spread out so far you wont be able to walk that much to see it. Lots of people (older fellas) wouldn't walk to the other side of the fairgrounds to see what was there this time because it was wayyy over there... If we spread it out even more than we did.. you would be 1/2 mile from everywhere.
    3. Besides.. there was plenty of space in between cars and rows for emergency vehicles and pedestrians.

Seriously.. the Red Shirt Army has lots of experience with parking.. i think what we are doing so far is good.

The only thing i could think of to do better.. find some pace to park show bikes... so they aint lost in the field of cars.

19. Hellfish

Hellfish

Temps in the 90s weren't warm enough for you? :D You southern boys sure do hate the North. :D

Actually, the CoC and Convention Bureau of Decatur, and everyone in Clinton worked WITH us quite a bit. They were more than willing to help with just about everything. The Cruisin Eldo guide had an ad for the Pileup in it. $0. The Bureau printed and distributed all those show maps you found at your hotel lobbies. $0. The golf carts we relied on all weekend were donated by the Bureau. $0. Decatur really wanted to keep us happy.

After 9 years, there are few things we haven't tried. :) We did the hand stamps for a few years, but the pads kept running out of ink and the people kept complaining that the stamps "hurt". Yes. Seriously.

Why? Because they're there 5-6 HOURS early!!! The show has always clearly stated that the gates open at 9 sharp. Anyone that shows up at 3 in the morning wondering why no one is there to stroke them is a moron.

The problem I see with that is that they are easy to remove (and kinda wasteful). People will get their bracelet, walk over to the fence and hand it to their buddy so he can get in.

Clinton was NOT expecting what we brought them. After seeing how many well-behaved people we can bring to the town, maybe they will be willing to relax some of those rules. We'll have a talk with them.

One word "CHAOS". Have you ever been to a large car show where entrants could park wherever they wanted? We may not have to be so restrictive, but there definitely needs to be a lot of guidance.

There would have to be some pretty special, non-duplicatable, non-removeable stickers used. Everyone seems to think this will work. I say it won't. But, we'll do a lot of discussing over the winter. Again, getting the cars in quickly isn't really a problem.

This has some potential. I see some logistical problems in the morning, but definitely worth discussing

That parade is called "Cruisin' Eldo" on Thursday, and the cruise to, from, and around the Clinton Town Square. :D

I've been watching the forecasts for months. Decatur is, on average, only about 3 degrees warmer than Chicago.

already working on it. :D

What he said! :D :D :D

20. BoPeep

BoPeep

This is amazing. You guys must have made a helluva first impression!

21. yngrodder

yngrodder

overheating cars... i thought this was a drive in car show.. you should have worked out your cooling issues thousands of miles ago..[/QUOTE]

Mine did not overheat but did get pretty warm and some cars do not have Thousands of miles on them yet, We had a late start and did not get to the Grounds until @9 am and it was 10:50 before we got parked, The line was actually all the way to Brush College Rd Im not complaining but just stating a fact that another line on the North side of the grounds would elminate this, When the gates do not open until 9am and you have a steady line of cars coming in for two and half hours it cuts into the time you get to spend at the show,

One word "CHAOS". Have you ever been to a large car show where entrants could park wherever they wanted? We may not have to be so restrictive, but there definitely needs to be a lot of guidance.

Yes and it goes pretty smoothly!! SRN has over 10,000 cars and no flag wavers you cruise through the gate park where you want and the cars flow real good, Goodguys are the same way I have never been told where to park, I understand this was the first year there and at morris you had to do that for lack of room but I do not beleive that you have to worry about running out of room anytime soon at the new location,

Pre and Post Parties I like Clinton square as well as the rest of you but I do not like going into a crowded bar and anyone who brings kids with them is pretty much out of luck also, I think that it would be cool to have everything in Decatur and there you have a couple options, The decatur Civic Center would be big enough for bands to be indoors with beer wagons and not be to crowded and have enough room for the cars outside for the ones who wants to hang out with the cars,

There is also a Fairgrounds that has a lot of the same feel as Morris but has Indoor buildings to have the beer and Bands in and outside lighting to enjoy the fairgrounds feel with the cars at night, They have had a ton of Rod Runs there in the 70's and 80's with bands and beer, They also had the Mid State Custom Car Show there in the late 80's early 90's and had a lot of bands from the do wop days there,

What about a off site inspection area the morning of the show from 6 am until 11am give the Car Owner a Ticket or a card saying that it has been inspected and take their money and stamp thier hands at that time so they just hand the ticket over and drive through the gate,

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  22. I think one thing that would make things better for patrons and participants alike would be situating the show cars around the row of food vendors, rest rooms,and stage. You know, like a midway.This would keep everyone a more reasonable distance from the facilities.
    It must be a nice change of pace for you guys figuring out how to best utilize so much space instead of trying to cram everyone into one so little.

23. MODELA30

MODELA30

I hav been going to the pile up for the last 5 years always had a good time. Yes morris will be missed that home like feeling is long gone, well decatur is just different you get that wow affect as in huge thats cool. The only thing i thought would help is more restrooms maybe a couple in the end of every other row of cars. Then the water situation looks like a lot of venders ran out of water. I know that most of the pile-up or even all that i remember never had warm weather like 2010 but how about getting a water without buying a ticket at the beer stand. Just a thought. Knuck from indiana.

24. Plowboy

Plowboy

Yes, I have been to a lot of large car shows all across the country, that is why I brought it up. As Mel said, they never tell you where to park at them. The only thing they do is mark an alleyway so an entrance is always left open into the center of an area.

Since you have the space, use it.

25. Hellfish

Hellfish

Mine had less than 200, and most were on the way there. It never came close to overheating... but it broke down a few times! :D

We know, Mel. We're already working on some solutions. The North side gate doesn't have room for any backup, and it;s the gate the volunteers and vendors enter, so it needs to be clear. We do have other options. I was already working with the PC coordinator on solutions by 2pm that day. ;)

I stand corrected! We'll look at some possibilities. We do have a TON of space, but we don't want to end up with a clusters of cars separated by 100 yards each, either. That could easily happen without guidance. We'll figure something out.

Believe me, we looked ALL over Decatur (including a gay bar) and couldn't find anything suitable. I think the Civic Center might be too "formal", but the COnvention Bureau has some suggestions. We all love Clinton though, and it makes for a nice cruise and hang out spot. If you don't like crowded bars, why are you asking about bringing kids in with you? FWIW, Snappers was far from crowded. They could have easily stuffed 100+ more people in there at the peak.

The problem is not with show cars, but spectators. I looked a dozen fairgrounds in IL, WI and IN and not one of them could handle the crowds we bring in. They may be able to handle it if spread out, but almost all of our crowd arrives between 8 and 11... 30,000 people. Most Fairgrounds have very limited access, like Morris, and that's what got us killed the last 2 years there. We used over 30 acres of spectator parking this year, and I think attendance was down.

Noted. Actually, we have already been talking about this as an option. After putting on the show there, we can see better what works and what doesn't.

Knuck, there were 4 very large brick & mortar restrooms, with new plumbing. 2 of these buildings were in the Southern half of PC where the show was. They are even air conditioned/heated, but I don't think that was used at the show. They aren't a long walk, no lines, no waiting. As for water, there were 3 beverages stations scattered throughout that sold nothing but water, soda, and beer, plus the food vendors. I'm not sure about the ticket thing, but that was PC's choice.

26. yngrodder

yngrodder

I was talking about the fairgrounds for the pre and post parties,

27. Deadbird

Deadbird

It sure is refreshing to see some constructive criticism and helpful discussions about how to make this already awesome show even better. This time last year things looked pretty bleak. I'm getting a much better vibe now. The Czars have to feel really good about the whole thing right about now. Keep up the good work guys!

28. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

I saw something posted somewhere that there might be a spot just for motorcycles? That would be super neat-O!

29. I don't remember who came up with the idea of multiple pre-parties, but I liked the idea. Cruising from one to the other, kinda like cruising in the old days from one drive inn to another. Cool! Coming from an old guy (I'll be 70 next year), spreading the cars out and my walking more is tough.
    I loved the location and what went on this year. I know the CZARS are open to help and appreciate it.
    Later,
    Dick

30. monsterflake

monsterflake

cool, who made that meeting? those guys know how to party...