Register now to get rid of these ads!

LOJACK special ,, Seen On Hemmings blog

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Novadude55, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Sorry if this is OT, but with all the thefts of HAMB'ers cars, I thought it may help to post what I read. This is just a copy and paste from the Hemmings blog. This is just FYI, I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I am not a sales rep and in no way associated with LOJACK and I will not benefit except to know someone might not end up a victim or will get their car back, so I am just passing the info along,, might be worth checking out.

"Hard to believe, but LoJack Corporation – the company that founded the theft recovery system of the same name – has been in business for more than 20 years, resulting in more than a 90 percent success rate in helping recover daily drivers. Now the Massachusetts-based company delivers that same covert technology to owners of collectible vehicles with the LoJack for Classics system.

LoJack for Classics stolen vehicle recovery system has been specifically designed for the collector-car owner: a next generation, self-powered system that does not draw energy from the vehicle’s battery – nor does it need to be connected to the vehicle’s electrical system – yet still utilizes the company’s radio frequency technology that is directly integrated with police. The system’s installation process can be personalized to meet the specific needs of the collector-car owner, and the company’s select, certified installers take great care in preserving the integrity of the car’s interior and exterior appearance. As with the original LoJack, this new system can be hidden in one of a variety of locations.

The LoJack for Classics system is immediately available at the one-time cost of $695; however, it can be purchased for a limited time (now through January 31, 2011) for $295 by using the special promotional code of CC2EML295 when ordering."
    website is http://www.lojack.com/

2. not a bad price with that promo code...

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

That's why I passed it along, Hemmings has some good articles too

4. No dealer within 100 miles of me!!! Now, how is that for customer or tech support.

5. RichG

RichG

I've read that a lot of areas do not have law enforcement with lojack equipped locators, just something I had heard, it might be worth checking into before putting money down on the equipment...

6. SPAM at its finest ... someone from LoJack joined the HAMB (lojackian) just to post that same type of offer in Chris Casny's stolen '57 T-Bird thread.

All but one of his or her posts got deleted from that thread for being too SPAMy (plus they were only adding un-needed "Drama" to the thread).

I'm sure a bunch of other HAMBers will be along soon to explain why LoJack is no longer the preferred recovery system.

7. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

This sounds like a good price and install is free... or so it says on the website. Im guessing california (los angeles) has quite a few law enforcement resources equipped with locators. I hope.

8. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There have been other LoJack threads here. Call me an idiot, I trust that the 90% recovery rate as being better than most......I'm a customer.
    There will be a bunch on here soon saying it is all BS and they might be right. I'll take my chances using the lojack product and hope I never have to put it to the test

10. I don't think its spam.. have your baby stolen and ya might change your mind.. there are some cops on this board in various areas.. id like to hear their opinions on it...

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Didn't mean to start any drama, just thot it was a good deal at that special offer price is all.

12. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

I've had two friends out here in vegas have their lojacked car stolen.

1 was recovered and returned inside of 45 minutes from time he noticed it was gone. Roughly an hour after he parked, it had been stolen and returned.

2nd one took cali highway patrol chasing the guy. They caught it headed into cali and zoned in on it and took 3 cars to get him to pull over (boxed him in).

But it got returned without damage in one case (theif picked locks with a set of auto jiggers) , The second one needed a new lock cylinder assembly.

That is enough peace of mind to me to sleep, go to a movie, go to the mall with it parked out of my sight. And the price is real good, If the new unit holds a charge. I'd prefer a unit that draws off the battery personally, Mount it in the frame with a cover plate and use torx bolts to close the plate. unless they helped you build it they will never know what it goes to.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Its all about participation..some places they dont participate quick enough or at all..

it really matters where you live or where your stuff is stolen, and how professional they are..

if you dont know your baby is gone for over 2 hours..or more before you or someone realises it,,even with a good municipality it may be too late..

new age has stepped up to the plate folks,,GPS locators..your in charge..you can control the situation..but same can apply with them,,if you aint quick enough, if they suspect..or know you have a theft system,, you better be on them fast
    Or they will find it jerk it, and your shit is bye bye

14. big creep

big creep

from what chris said when he spoke with the LAPD, they have one car and one helicopter with lojack equipment. they said gps system works best. my buddy has lojack who had a truck stolen and they found it across the border! under 24 hours! so i would really like a great system, but who do i go with? living in the Los Angeles area most cars are found by the LAPD, and from what the detective told chris, they dont really use it. so what do we do now???

15. Novadude55 - You did nothing "wrong" ... I was simply pointing out that some (including me) will interpret this type of thread as being SPAM [i.e., an unsolicited advertisement to sell a product (albeit at a discounted price)] ... and as such, this thread may be closed or deleted by the Mods.

16. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Gotcha HEMI32, 10-4..

17. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

18. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I found the thread interesting enough to spend some time on the lojack website. Learned something I didn't know.

This system is only monitored in a little more than half the US states and in even less counties. Seems it might be useful in metropolitan areas, but pretty much useless everywhere else. Too bad.

Appreciate the post though. Even if it gets one more stolen car recovered, it would be worth it.

19. big creep

big creep

lojack was huge in the late 90! its not that popular anymore, which sucks cause it use to kick ass!

20. cheveey57

cheveey57

Also a Lo-jack represenative comes to the dealer & installs the unit. You and the dealer do not know where that is..............If they do the same to your classic, do you really want some techno-geek poking around the wiring of your ride? Around here they steal the car and drive a mile or two away & park it. Then they come back in a day or two & if it's still there then the car has no lo-jack & then they steal it one more time............

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  21. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

completely worth it, better something than just being screwed out of your pride N joy, Now if only my ex had Lo jack haha

22. lojackian

lojackian
    from Boston

hey guys... we always monitor what's being said about LoJack and will typically only contribute posts that clarify questions about our system or correct information that might be misunderstood (e.g. despite what has been stated, we have a HUGE presence with law enforcement in Los Angeles and SoCal). since a previous post of ours was removed, we better understand the balance of informing versus spamming members and completely respect that. And, we have noted the comment about possibly advertising with members of the ATOMIC INDUSTRY forums. If anyone ever has a question about our systems, feel free to send us a message.

23. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

We used to have two LOJACK equipped cruisers in my PD (East Coast) but I don't believe that they are in service any longer. For the tracking vehicle (police car) it required four small antennas to be installed in the roof and then an ADF style pointer box was installed on the dash. That would point with a light blip at the signal from the LOJACK equipped vehicle if triggered. The easier thing today is a GPS tracking device that you can install in your car. Load the software in your computer and you can track your car if it's taken and tell the cops where it is.
    A lot of companies use them for fleet vehicles and some parents install them on teenagers cars to keep tabs on them. I believe I have seen the systems on ebay and I'm pretty sure they are cheaper than LOJAK .

Pete

24. gonzo

gonzo

We use lojack in the motorcycle dealership that I work at and I cannot recall a time when a lojack equipped bike was NOT recoverred by the police. The installation nazi that comes to the shop to check quality installs is obsessive to the point of being a pain in the tookas.

25. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

A quick google search returned a bunch of GPS systems to be had,
    For comparison sake, The LoJack special price is 295,
    Zoombak has one for 149,
    SparkNano has one for 99,

26. RichG

RichG

I'd be willing to bet it would be an effort (or expense) well done on your part.;)

Thank you for coming onto the thread, any info you have about availability would be interesting... provided you clear up that pesky "vendor" issue:p

27. lojackian

lojackian
    from Boston

We're currently available in 28 states and have companies in Mexico and Canada. The 28 states have the highest population and feature the highest theft rates in the country. Here's a link to our coverage: https://my.lojack.com/pages/owners-accessories-coverage.aspx

28. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The installer treated my car better than I normally do. I had to leave the garage while he did his install. I went back in and found it because I knew what was there before he put the unit in. If you did not know it was there, you would never find it.
    After following 1lowtrk's adventure ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463996&showall=1 )in Austin with his chevy truck being stolen, maybe a lojack would have been what was needed to get it back....just saying

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Good Point hrm2k, kinda why I started this thread,, Seems a necessary evil these days given all the thefts, especially given the high cost of fixing up our rides, a gps unit is cheap insurance. Hopefully there will be less thefts and more theft recoveries.. I am still hopefull that 1lowtruk's ride will be recovered.