Register now to get rid of these ads!

*MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

As I mentioned yesterday, The body is assembled and ready for sealer. The headlights,forks and fender irons are also nearly complete. I plan to start building the fenders in the next few days...I try and get some pictures for you all tonight or tomorrow.

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

Spoke with Chris this morning. Bill was removed from the ice yesterday at about 6:00 am and as of this morning has returned to normal body temperature and is being slowly "weened" off of the Medical Coma and Paralyzing medication...but still has shown no change in his current condition.

..We are still waiting, hoping and praying.....:(

3. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Thanks so much for the update for your friend Bill. If it all right can I consider Bill a friend ? I feel closer to him through your story of the build of the "T". It is very nice that you and your friend wanted to do something for Bill. Here's hoping that Bill is close to returning to us.

4. Thanks for keeping us informed. We are all here to support "you" as well, during these very stressful times. I've been dealing with a very ill father, for many years. PM if you ever need to talk.

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

You may indeed! He would have welcomed you all with open arms...how do you think I ended up so close to the Becker clan?

Thank you kindly Bowtie. It is generosity and kindness like yours that makes this world a beautiful place...even in the darkest of times.

*UPDATE*

I have just returned from the hospital and as much as we had hoped that Bill would return to us ...It is with a heavy heart and much grief that I inform you all that Bill passed away about 9:40 this evening. He had been brought back to normal body temp after the cooling/re-warming procedure was complete...but showed no change. It was determined that he was no longer breathing on his own and had suffered irreparable brain damage and swelling with no chance of recovery. The family made the choice to remove life support and he passed away peacefully surrounded by his family, loved ones and very close friends.

His life may have ended before it's time, but his legacy will live forever.

...He will be missed..

his son Chris and I will continue to work diligently to complete his T as we had planned in his honor.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  6. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

My condolences to you family. May he rest in peace.

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

On behalf of the Becker family, I thank you. I know he finally is at peace.

8. Sorry for your loss, cherish the time you shared with him, as I know you will and already have. He was so obviously a good man, to have inspired such admiration, from a good person such as yourself. Please pass on my condolences to the family. Finish that ride in his honour, he'll be there in spirit forever.

9. froghawk

froghawk

I'm very sorry for your loss. Been something of a "lurker" but wanted to say I admire your talent and even more so, the love and dedication you've shown for Bill in your words and work on this car.

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i am sorry to hear of your loss.

my family tradition is to make a body tag for every car (like a coach builders tag). It looks really cool, and reminds you everything that has been .

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

The T will be finished, by Christmas, as we intended...for him.

Thank you. We all wish that he could have seen his T finished, but we know he is watching over it's completion

That is a remarkable idea, and a wonderful tradition. I have the perfect spot on the new Maple dashboard for one....

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Man, I got hit with emotion reading that and I don't even know you guys personally. I feel sadness for his family and friends. It seems as though they've got good company to support them during this time. You're a good egg, Clayton. I'm sorry for your loss.

13. I am so very sorry to hear of your loss; please pass my condolences on to Chris and his family. I feel very fortunate that I was able to meet Mr. Becker in person and see first hand how his family felt about him. I only met him once, but it was enough to see that he was a remarkable man, and obiviously a great father and family man. I am so sorry. -Fred

14. RIP Mr. Becker. :(

15. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Sorry for the loss of your friend Bill. He is now in peace with our father in Heaven.

16. LabRat

LabRat

Be Proud and thankful for time you spent with your friend ....

Great work on the speedster !

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

thank you all, I will miss him greatly...but I am also very grateful of the time for the time spent with him indeed.

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well, in the wake of Bill's passing and all of this sadness...I thought it was time to post a positive update and a few pictures of the latest....Enjoy!

Got the Fender irons made up and the firewall/hood former cut out (have some more finish work and staining to do yet) and the body mostly assembled. We also managed to locate a set of "ADLAKE" side and tail lamps that were hiding in the shop for years and a few other "goodies".

Attached Files:

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

Just a quick bump for those who were waiting on updates...

20. froghawk

froghawk

Car looks amazing. I really like the angle on the seats and the beefy look of those tires. Kind of reminds me of a Mercer Raceabout.

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is EXACTLY what I was going for! The entire design of this car was all for Bill. Bill told me a story once about getting a ride in Ken Gooding's old Mercer (the yellow one now owned by the Harrah Collection is Reno) in the '60's. Gooding's chief mechanic took Bill for a "good" ride....out on I-80 at over 95+ ....and then putting her into a full 4 wheel power slide at almost 60+ around a corner in the industrial district of Reno....with all 4 tires smokin' and Bill hangin' on for dear life!

He always said that it was the best ride he ever had in an early car, so when we started this Speedster...I designed it based on the Type 35J Mercer specifically for that reason.

22. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, This latest update is a greay way to celebrate Bill and his life. When this speedster comes to life I am sure Bill will be there in spirit. He will enjoy the first drive of this speedster built in his memory. Build is looking to me one mean one !

23. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hey Guys Thanks for the thoughts and prayers for our family. Like Clayton said this car was all for dad, I am looking forward to taking it out for the first but it will be very hard. Dad was my hero and it was absolutely awesome watching him mentoring and inspiring people like my little brother Clayton.

Clayton That car is looking awesome and I definitely see Clayton's trademark and quality workmanship (big headlights and plenty of attitude!!) that you are doing (He's doing this build in his one car Garage right now). We are working together on this project but with the long hours I have been working and everything going on I haven't seen the process going on after hours. On the weekends we work together on some parts such as the drive-line or like this Saturday, shortening the radius rods. Clayton has a great artistic side (you know stance, lights and general layout) so I let him do that part. Once that is done I use my painting skills (which dad taught me over the years) to give it the color. We work together on mechanicals and general fabrication.

I tell you what when push comes too shove having Clayton there by our sides was a real honor and I can never thank him enough for the love and support he and brother Evan extended to us on Wednesday Evening. We are truly blessed to have people like him by our side through those tough times.

On a side note a very close friend of ours Bruce Abbott @ Abbot Instruments called me today and said Dad's speedometer was done and I needed to pick it up. I had only seen it once and it is a one of a kind 1906 Springfield motometer that dad found at one of the Harrah's swap meets during the late '60's. I will have Clayton post pictures up of it tomorrow.

Sorry I'm mostly a lurker as I just don't have lot of time to get on the computer. I WOULD LIKE OUR HAMB FAMILY FOR ALL THEY HAVE DONE!

Chris,Melissa and Carston Becker

24. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i just found this post tonight and was very excited about what you were doing for Bill. i was quite sad to hear of his passing. my condolences to all that loved and cherished him. i can only guess that he would have been very moved by what you two were/are doing here for him. it will be a great way to honor his memory. i look forward to further progress reports.

25. love the fact your still working on it for him. im sure its what he wanted.

im sure theres a lot of us that do this kind of thing, build a car or project in honnor of some one.

26. Chris;
    You are doing it all 100% right here. Keep doing things the way that you are. Build that "T" and drive the wheels off it. I know your Dad would love it. And your Dad will always be with you in spirit. I lost my Dad in 1977 when I was 15 years old. And not a day goes by that I don't think about him and don't feel influenced by him. Keep that legacy alive!

27. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Thanks Fred,

That's the idea to keep his legacy alive. Give me a call next week we need to talk White bearing numbers and parts.

We were out at the shop today like always boy I'll tell you what dad's car is going to be one mean machine. Clayton and I found a set of plans for a monocule windshield that he was going to market with his T & A parts business. They where never produced so our friend Gene is going to help me build a copy out of steel for the car.

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well, Yesterday was Bill's Funeral Service and it was beautiful...very befitting to Bill, his life and his impact on everyone who knew him. We had no shortage of vintage cars at the service and many that followed us to his grave side. Here are a few that came in honor of Bill:
    -1932 Packard 8
    -3 lil' T's in a row
    -1911 T "Torpedo"
    -Bill's grandson Carston (Chris's little boy) and me

On behalf of the Becker family, I would like to thank all of you who have followed this thread and offered their thoughts, prayers and support in this difficult and sad time.

Tonight I will try to get some pictures posted of the 1905 "Springfield Moto-Meter" speed-o Chris mentioned earlier....the mechanics are amazing!

Clayton

Attached Files:

29. That looks like a great send-off; I wish I could have been there with my 1913 White! Keep up the good work and hang in there!
    -Fred

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wow chris/clayton-so sorry! i was not expecting to read this as i opened this thread to check the progress of this project. i know you guys will do a great job of honoring him with this car, it is really coming along nicely. you'll make him proud. keep the progress coming, and again-sorry for your loss.