Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pix of '55-'57 Ford Gassers - the "other" Tri-Fives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Ghost Rider Gasser

Ghost Rider Gasser

This 57 Gasser was an original Drag Strip B/Gas with a 427 single overhead cam. It was previously owned by Edward Johnson (Enterprise) located here in Warren, Mi. I bought the car w/out engine or trans for $1200 in 1973. I installed a 327-600hp with a turbo 400 full TPI compition trans. with a 10" 3200 stall conveter. It still has the original 486 Detroit Locker rear gear, herst sfifter. Car weights 2700 lbs. Aluminum sheeted from the fire wall to the rear bumper. Complete glass tilt front end. I did alot of work getting it street ready. I drive it to many local shows and as it sets today it shows itself. Like you said they are tough to come by. Once I learn how, I'll send additional pictures. Keep the pics coming.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Really cool to see some different style gassers! Very nice ones too!

3. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

I know wrong year thread, it's still a fairlane. seen it this weekend at Billetproof Ca. bitchin' car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Just Jones

Just Jones

Smokin Bill - that '58 is unreal! Thanks for posting those pixtures, especially the detail shot of the engine.

Hey - anyone else out there have some pix to contribute? I'm about out! Lets keep this thread rolling!

5. Jack56T-Bird

Jack56T-Bird
    from Clovis Ca.

Great thread. I am building my high school car (56 T-Bird) and I am putting in a 63 Hollman Moody built 427 Top Oiler. This motor was built by Walley Cartright and was David Peirsons practice motor in his 63 Galaxy. I want to build the car to look like a mild custome build in the early 60's. I don't want to go full gasser. I planned on useing 5 speed O/D but considering the torque of this motor and like of tire I can run, I wondered if I would be better off with a taller rear gear and allow me to use a period correct top loader four speed. If I can't hook it up either way than why not. I will drive the car reagularly and on the freeway running no more than 2,000 at 70MPH. Does anybody have any thoughts?
    Thanks,

Jack

6. Just Jones

Just Jones

Bump . . . anyone have more to add?

7. Just Jones

Just Jones

Here are a couple of a project by a new HAMBer:

Attached Files:

8. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

The blown FE with cam driven magneto in that '58 is beyond awesome!

9. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Has to be one of the cleanest gassers i've ever seen and my new favorite 55-57 Ford overall!

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Jack,
    To get to 70 @ 2000 rpm you will need a 2.35:1 rear end with 28" tires.

With an overdrive, you can run a 3.50 rear and 0.67:1 overdrive (most 3 spd + OD and 5 spd's). Having done the 4 spd, 3 spd + OD, and 5 spd in my '51 F-1, I strongly recommend the 5 spd, it is simply the most fun. You should be able to get a TKO or Richmond unit that will handle the power.

Good Luck

11. Just Jones

Just Jones

That is exactly what I would love to build. Old school , light, and lots of HP. Then drive it!

12. Ya gotta love it 1955 Ford Gasser (Legos) What a Gas(ser)

made by Lino M. Check out his work on Flickr (Click on the Photos for link)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ace "Old Pops" McGraw And His '55 Ford Gasser

You’re looking at an old gasser…I mean the car, not the old man. While old dudes are legendary for being gassy, and this one is probably no exception, the term gasser describes a racing phenomenon that had its heyday in the ‘60’s and are known most notably for their heightened stance and weights added to the rear. What they lose in aerodynamics, they more than make up for in showmanship and the ability to pull wheelies down the drag strip. The old man is racing legend Ace “Old Pops” McGraw. He used to be called “Fighting Ace” back in the day…and when he’s not shaking his cane at youngsters and telling them to get the hell off his lawn, he’s usually winning against them on the drag strip. Old Pops’ knees and back aren’t what they used to be, but he has nerves of steel and reflexes better than most racers a fraction his age. He still races his old ‘55 Ford Crown Vic. You’ll note it has a bitchin’ paintjob, roll cage, fire extinguisher, wheelie bars and a parachute to help it stop. Both were built for this month’s LUGNuts challenge called At The Races!

Old Pops, do you have anything to say to your adoring racing fans?
    “I had Jell-o today!”
    That’s great, Old Pops! You heard it here first. Now lets shower the old pensioner with praise and comments before he wanders off and falls asleep at the library again.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

14. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

What is this car turning in the e.t./mph dept.?
    Looks cool going down the track...

15. rat nasty

rat nasty

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      358.5 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      365.3 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      315.3 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      490.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  16. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

This car is just awsome!. beautiful and brutal

17. rat nasty

rat nasty

keep em comin!!!!!!!!!!!

18. 5 speeds > 4 speeds; with ya' on that. Now, how hot is that H-M engine? Is it going to like being driven under load at 2000 RPM? If the cam is too nasty, it might a little slow.

Now, is there room under the floor for a big, modern gearbox? Some of the mopar guys do a lot of surgery beyond just cutting a new hole for the shifter. They end up replacing pieces of floor, and sometimes have to modify the crossmember (they have a heavy one that goes over the trans case; has to be strong since the torsion bars mount in it) as well as the trans mount.

Also, if it's 'period correct' that you want to go for, can you get a wider ratio set of gears that fits in a top loader? I'm not up on Ford gearboxes; I think it's the T-10 that can be had with a 3.42:1 first gear; the '70's gearboxes behind slant-six mopars can be hiding a 3.09:1 first gear set. Does the top loader have a similar option that can be had?

Depending on the first gear a top loader has (2.5:1?), other low gear setups can give you 20-40% more reduction in first; allowing for a consequent drop in ring and pinion ratio.

A deep first gear set and a 3.0 rear end might be a more affordable way to get enough first gear to get off the line nicely, and cruise okay on the highway. Not a 2000 RPM cruise, but around 2500 with 28" tires.

But if ya' got the bucks to swing it, and aren't doing a full 'period correct' thing, a 5 speed would be cool.

-Bill

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Bill;toploaders stock gear sets had either a 2.32 or 2.78 first gear.There is a 2.90 gear set available after market. ROY.

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

21. Just Jones

Just Jones

22. Hey, thanks for the info Roy. I'll try to keep that filed away in the mind where it can tease me when I see a 427 that could fall into my '53...

...like I could afford it at the moment!

-Bill

23. rat nasty

rat nasty

BBC 454 .060 blown 6-71 2 x 4's powerglide. my motor is almost complete be ready in a few weeks! I'll be ready for mock up soon!

24. Just Jones

Just Jones

^^^ Keep the pictures and details comin' Rat Nasty. That is one bitchen wagon.

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

26. Gasser57

Gasser57

Yeah! Keep it going!

Attached Files:

27. Just Jones

Just Jones

Not a big fan of the Street Freak look, but this one would be nice in the hands of the right person.

Yes, its for sale (EB*y) with a B.I.N. of $4500. Looks like it needs a lot of rust repair.

It has a fiberglass tilt front end, and the straight axle conversion looks like it was done pretty well . . .

Attached Files:

28. rat nasty

rat nasty

someone had a green/white 56 4 sale a while ago that had the glass moon-roof that was a gasser style car that i thought was cool!!!!!!!!!!!!any body else see it??or know about it?

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Holy shit, a Crown Vic street freak! It wouldn't take much to get the ass end down where it belongs. Too bad its so damn far away.:(

30. finny,I thought it needed to go UP a inch or two and some really deep cragars................