Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions for Hunnert 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GovernorKC, Oct 12, 2010.

1. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

First off I want to say that I had a great time at the Pileup this year. The Czars did a great job. I thought the show was well organized and executed. The towns seemed to welcome the car show and everyone was very accommodating.

So my actual suggestions are for the pre/post parties in Clinton. I was there both Friday and Saturday night.

The setting of the town center is perfect for this venue. The problem is there is only one bar in the square and you could not bring alcohol out of the little patio. Why not turn this into more of a block party? The square was easily blocked off. So have some vendors come down, set up a beer tent, have bands play outside on that great stage in the middle of the square. Have the VFW, boy scouts, High Schools, etc have booths selling food, drinks. You could even charge $5 to get into the square. Sorrento's could sell pizza, Breakers could sell food/drinks. Snappers could also have a beer tub outside the bar. There are a lot of great opportunities for other businesses in Clinton to benefit from the show.

I'm sure the logistics of making this happen is easier said than done. I live in Milwaukee and we have events similar to my suggestion all the time. Any excuse to drink outside and Milwaukee is for it :)

I believe that the pre/post parties could turn into a great event. Maybe it was kept smaller because it was the first year and they didn't know what to expect? I really would like to see that little area prosper, it could be so cool. So my intentions are not to bash what the party was, but to help improve it for next year!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. magnet

magnet

Good suggestions.. keep em coming people.. pm DW or any czar with your ideas.

Unfortunately the insurance and legal liability limited the pileup/ccmc's involvement with creating an open alcohol on the street type event...

I would think that we would leave the expansion of the pre party town square deal to the city of Clinton.. we frankly just have way too much to do :)

But we are ever so gratefull for the city of Clinton opening up the town square for all of us.. that was awesome.

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Good suggestions, and we were talking about a similar idea Saturday night amongst some of us at Snappers. Keep in mind though the weather was exceptional and record breaking. There's been lots of Pileup weekends where it's dropped down to 38° by 9:00.

The square was awesome though. It was like being in Back to the Future.

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I was VERY impressed with the staging in the two parking lots prior to driving through the gate. From a logistics standpoint, that went a LONG way toward keeping cars off the road and keeping traffic from backing up. That was a very, very good idea.

I don't know if that was the cops' idea, our the Chrome Czars, but it was a good one. Fine-tune it a little and have someone in each lot directing traffic to park the cars in specific rows, and then release them to the next lot in rows rather than a free-for-all. This would give guys a chance to park their car and let it cool down, too, while waiting to get in.

I dug the party on the square. Making it open-air would be a cool idea, but as someone said, the temps could be pretty cold. If it were me, I'd shoot for it next year anyway: people aren't gonna avoid it just because it's chilly. They'll walk around, huddle in groups, and bundle up. I think a band stand and a couple food vendors would kick ass. I don't see the town or the cops being happy with beer vendors for a rowdy car group though... drunks in hot rods doing burn-outs isn't what the show needs.

-Brad

5. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

Haha, I was saying the same thing to my father, I was looking for Biff's 47 Ford and hoverboards. All the square needed was a clock tower.

6. Plowboy

Plowboy

Back in high school we cruised that square 3 deep around the old courthouse. You should have seen it then!

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Have one in the spring, and one in the fall. I don't think I can wait another year!!:D

8. lawman

lawman

Please have it in Louisville,Ky !!!!!!!! LOL Tom ( Tired Old Man)

9. yngrodder

yngrodder

I agree 100% on the City Selling beer in the center with bands outside, If they are afraid of a little illinois fall weather have a Chilli fest up town in the center to warm you up and have the cars in the road,

10. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

I like the idea of an outside party. I'm also one of the people who really missed the cold weather.

11. Keith48

Keith48

My wife and I went to Snappers on Friday for lunch.Good food nice and hot. The owners of the place wanted to have the party outside. Even the cop I was talking to thought It would be fun.Being that this was the first year, the city really didn't know what was going to happen when all the HOT RODDERS came to town. The bar had extra people at work on Friday. The manager was wondering if he was going to make his expenses back.My wife asked him towards the end of the night how it was going . He had a big smile on his face.

On Sat. night on our way out the door,we

12. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

It was a very good event overall. A suggestion: Consider processing the vehicles at the "main gate" in 3 seperate lanes, to streamline the process and channel those lanes to form one single lane for those who have passed muster & comply with the criteria required for entry.

13. Keith48

Keith48

I did something wrong on my reply. Anyway,on Saturday night on our way out the door after the music,we said see you next year. His reply I hope so,with a big smile.

14. kel072931

kel072931
    from Clinton

I may be able to clear up a little about the beer patio deal...

Basically, Snappers had to pull the city's arm and leg....twice...just to get that. Apparently the alcohol code says something about no beer being sold outside on the sidewalk(or something along those lines), so the city changed it for the town's 175th celebration this summer. But, I think the whole town agrees with you. The city had no idea how big this was going to be or what to expect, so I would think next year would be even better!(hopefully at least). I spoke with an officer and he said they called up to Morris asking what to expect and all they were told was "We're glad you guys have them this year and not us." I never heard any complaints from anyone in town though. Overall I think it was a great success!

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Well that sums up our 6 years in Morris doesn't it! :D

The people of Decatur, Forsyth and Clinton have all been great to work with before, during and after the show. :cool:

Keep the suggestions coming! We may not address each comment, but we will definitely read them all and see how we can improve everyone's experience at the show.

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yes, keep 'em coming. Believe it or not, we do consider each suggestion and have long meeting discussing ways to improve the show every year. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

I too thought that an open square would be neat... except how do you pay for the bands and permits? There are a LOT of ways into the square, which means you need a LOT of barricades and even more staff to man those gates, hold up traffic to charge cars driving in, and as Chad pointed out, some years it's dang cold at night. For those who think that the cold won't keep people out, where were you every Saturday night post-show party when temps were in the 30s? The Red Cent was PACKED, but only a handful of people were outside watching the poor bands shiver. Both nights. After being in the cold all day at the show most people prefer to hang at the hotel. Bands inside mean shelter, warmth and convenient access to alcohol.

I don't mean to shoot down your suggestion so quickly, but I don't know how it could work. Plus, as magnet said, there's liability issues. We couldn't do the hot rod parking in the square because we couldn't handle the insurance (and that was just us controlling cars coming in). That's why Clinton stepped up and handled it. Thank them.

As for staging lanes... I think that was a Czar idea (Craig/Kansas). We have some ideas in the works for next year. If the show grows, that lot will be quickly overwhelmed. 3 lanes in will present problems when a car in the middle or far lane gets rejected, but I do want to explore ideas for making the line move faster.

We love constructive criticism and suggestions. The show is for you knuckleheads, so we respect your opinions, and want to make it better.

17. mlbeil

mlbeil
    from Arnold, MO

Like I stated on one of the other threads, this was my 3rd year and as usual, AWESOME JOB !! This show has taken the place of several others. Made it Clinton on Friday night and had a good time but, like the others was a little disappointed about the beer laws but, also understand the associated liabilities and logistics, and like you mentioned, last year when it was un-godly cold, there were not many people outside of the bar. Also, wanted to let you know that I met and spoke with a couple of people that were at the show from Morris and they were upset that it was moved. Both parties agreed that the "Powers to be, AKA Elders" as these people put it, where not happy that they were not getting more of the cut, if you know what I mean. So keep that in mind when hearing negative statements from Morris. Consider the source.

With regards to recommendations, I only have two.

I would suggest an optional online qualification (similar to the HAMB Drags) where the participant has to e-send in pics of the car, potentially, engine area, etc., to get prequalified. Possibly even pay on line or get an email reply that they present at the gate that allows them fast entry. Email could specify the car and maybe even have a small pic to confirm that it is the same car. There could be an accelerated line for this pre-qualified/paid group. Maybe even a separate gate. For the other lines, I would have the qualify team walk back to the staging area and apply qualifying decals at that location, possibly all the way back to the front side of the building. This would also include additional lane merge guidance.

My second suggestion is to allow more open parking. I know that this can turn into a cluster so there would have to be some rules, like all parking has to be perpendicular to the streets or something like that. Let the cars spread out a little, with in reason.

In any case, changes or not, I plan to attend again next year and so does my Dad. We all had a GREAT TIME.:)

18. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

While parking cars inside there were several requests by club members to park together. This would not have been an issue if they were all together. Most of the time they were not, by one fault or another. Later while car are still coming in some clubs started moving to get together. Not a big deal but it got in the way of the people coming in and confused a few of people in line. The people still coming in would see them moving and follow.

Since there is a lot more room for parking at the new place how about separating the car clubs off to a separate grass lot. The clubs would be resposible for organizing the cars in the grass lot. It would really cut down on confusion and "lost" club member. So as the cars come in if they want to park with their club they go to the lot X. If no club or don't care, continue with the rest of them.

Just a thought.

Either way this year was way better than past.

19. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Yep, I remember those days:D. I think one big issue with having alcohol roaming the square is just being able to contain it. I know most of the guys at the PD and quite honestly, they don't have the manpower needed for something like that. I know the Hamb brethern tends to be pretty well behaved, but with outside influences (including the locals) one bad incident could ruin a good thing.

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

Some good ideas. Actually, we've already talked about club parking areas. We even talked about it this year, but we didn't want to change too many things for the 1st year. We wanted to see how things worked with a very simple plan first.

The plan was to space cars out more... but after years of having to cram cars in, it's hard to space them out, even when we know we have a lot of room.

Pre-inspections don't seem to work with a show like this, but I'm still willing to listen to suggestions on how to make it work. We tried it before and it didn't work.

1. People are hesitant to pre-register for a show in October when the weather can vary from 30 to 90 degrees, sunny or snow.

2. Given the show criteria, one picture wouldn't do. We would need to see front, back, sides, and interior. I don't mind looking at multiple pics, but things can easily be missed in photos, too.

3. Projects/cars get approved, then can't make the show in time, so a different car gets driven. That holds up the line because the car needs to be inspected again, while the paperwork needs to get checked and cross-referenced. Likewise, what if the approved car's owner decides to change wheels before the show? Then we have to contend with a guy who has paid but gets denied when he gets there. That causes a big delay.

4. Trying to check names on a list is REALLY hard over an open header.

Believe me, the pre-registration process will significantly slow down the entry process. The show entry speed is NOT due to inspections. Those take 10 seconds or less. Watch us work sometime. The problem is inspection, followed by collecting money, marking hands, then moving them forward. Further delays are caused by people who want to argue.

Not marking hands would speed things up. Some cars make you pay once you're inside and parked, but that won't work for a show of this size.

Seriously, we parked about 1000 cars in under 2 hours. That's pretty darn fast if you ask me.

21. In a couple years Morris will BEG to have it back! ;)

22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

This could be blasphemy, but if you moved the show ahead a couple weeks, you'd have a better shot at warmer weather for the outside bands.
    Then again, outside deals are tough... rain really kills things.

The town has seen what you're looking to do: Contact the Chamber of Commerce and ask them to research how much money the show brought into the area: gas, groceries, restaurants and hotels all saw a helluva increase. THAT'S what the CoC is there for.

Once you do that, you can work WITH the city to promote the show some more, rather than coming to them for permission for everything and for you paying for everything. The CoC might have some funds to pay for different things. Check the city and the county.

Have you thought about two points of entry to the show? That would help a lot too as the show grows. It'd take twice the staff, but for only half the time. Then after, say, 11am, go to one gate in, one gate out.

-Brad

23. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I am with Hellfish...a shit load of cars were parked before 11...so I think the overall flow of incoming show cars worked well.

There was an issue at the car show gate about swappers not being able to get back in. Now, we handled it as best we could for the most part (you can thank Appleseed for that), but there was rumors that people were marking their own hands to get in free. Perhaps a stamp or a mark that is not replicable should be looked at. Kinda sucks that people would pull that. The ability to walk in and out is needed if you have a swap IMO, and I feel we were more than flexable that way, but what about the people that needed to shed a coat, or get something from the car?

Thats about all I can think of. I think parking was great, the gates flowed well, the criteria was held...all in all good stuff. Amazing considering the new location.

Having an outdoor venue with multiple entrances sucks for music and beer. It sucks even worse if you are the band cause who likes to play when it is 30? Indoors is best.

As far as pre-registration goes...people want it. I could care less. I think things flow just fine as is. Simple rules could be applied to it...but Hellfish has a point. It is hard enough to scream, "$20 Sir" over open headers, let alone spout off names, car numbers, so on and so forth. Much easier to not deal with it. Cars will overheat no matter what you do, and it sucks...so turn em off. If your line moves up...wait a few to scoot up.

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Two weeks prior is the James Dean/Ducktail run, so no that would not work. People ask us this all the time though. It's always the 2nd weekend in October though, and always will be for the duration of the event.

We had two points of entry for the last 6 years. I think the single entry point with the staging lanes at Progress City is still a better set up than the 2 points of entry at Morris. At least how I am seeing it right now, adding a second entry point will only add more problems, rather than solve that particular issue.

25. Pontiac35

Pontiac35
    from Wisconsin

I think the best suggestion so far is to check the cars as they hit the staging lanes with some consideration given to a reasonable starting time for the checkers or you will end up with the 3 and 4 AM arrivals that wonder why no one is there to check them in. Once that is done, the checking, when you open the gates all you have to do is GET THE MONEY and apply the check mark.

26. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Has anybody put a thought into the rubber bracelets for entry, they are cheap, cannot be faked, and you dont have to mark anybody's hand-just upon entry give them a bracelet. Plus it would be more swag, yeah they are kinda lame, but easy to spot, impossible to duplicate, and no more worries...just a thought.

27. Dimebag I kinda like that idea!

28. Plowboy

Plowboy

I really only would like to see 2 things change.

As was already addressed about the beer situation in Clinton, my homies and I like to hang outside around the cars so we can drink our own cheap beer and play grabass. We got up to Clinton, and once we heard that there was no drinking on the square we went to the hotel parking lot where we knew we could drink and bullshit with each other without getting harassed by "the man" for doing so. Clinton might not like it, but Thursday night everyone was in the Civic Center parking lot in Decatur hanging out, drinking beer, and having a good time... maybe find somewhere in Decatur to have the pre party they didn't seem to mind open containers too much, hell they just had a big outdoor festival there a month ago in the same spot. The fact of the matter is, as big as the show is getting you are going to have a hard time finding a single location for everyone to meet beforehand and afterwards. In the old days of the pileup when there were only 6-800 cars it was a lot easier for all the partiers to meet up in one spot. Maybe multiple pre and post parties are in order (in clinton and Decatur) as the number of attendees approaches the 2000 mark...

As for the show, I think that if you let people park wherever they wanted it would give the show a less strict atmosphere. There is plenty of space, so why not use it? Let people park with all their friends in the back 40 if they want to. I don't think there is any need to line everyone up like every other car show. It would allow for better picture taking as well. I know at Indy goodguys our crew usually piles into an area and as more of our friends show up, it just turns into a whole nifty glob of cars....a bunch of hooligans and jackasses, you know, the way it should be! ha ha

29. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

We could...

Set up a pre-inspection Friday night at one of the hotels.
    Run it for two hours.
    Start when we say we will start.
    STOP WHEN WE SAY IT WILL STOP.
    Then, the day of the gig, let the cars that have been inspected run right in. Inspect those that haven't.

Standing and inspecting worked alright at the old venue but it looks like walking down the line helped a bunch here.
    I'd volunteer for the Friday night gig. Beer in hand, of course.

I like Dimebag's idea also...

30. Plowboy

Plowboy

I am with you on this one Rashy, I would probably even volunteer myself, and that is saying a lot! ha ha

Maybe even have a bunch of drunkards standing there giving the thumbs up or down, you know majority rule and all. ha ha