Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody from Pomona remember this gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gup, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 5w32

5w32

thanks, looks like some good connections......anyone else?

2. 5w32

5w32

i was in pomona for the gnrs and found more info on Advance speed and marine: John pandeles managed the covina store 1968-70 , he did not remember the car but it could have been sponsored from another store ,he said there were 5 advance marine stores.
    stores were located in :
    -holt ave in west Pomona
    -w Covina on Vincent
    -Covina on hacienda blvd
    -la puente
    -Azusa

Advance went out of business in 75-76
    Advance owner was Joel mattes
    Sponsored: brown henry j, 67-68 hemi Gtx shortened 2 ft

anyone else with more info? photos?

3. scrape

scrape

id go ahead and start building/restoring it..... leave it in primer till you find out more....
    or,,,,you should get it running and bring it to the hamb drags...:)

4. 5w32

5w32

the plan is to put my 471 blown 327 and th400 in for now and patch up a few small issues , and get it street/strip ready. i have 15 x 10" chrome reverse wheels on vintage 10.50 x15 goodyear bluestreaks for the rear and 15x4 crestlines on 5.00x15 goodrichs for the front. i'll post pic later

Attached Files:

5. 5w32

5w32

a little more about the stude : bill wheeler was joel mattes partner in advance speed and marine

rick king was a driver for them?

john pandeles drove a 66 nova called the speed merchant that also had advance speed and marine on the rear quarters

6. 5w32

5w32

i talked to bill wheeler yesterday , it looks like the stude might have been sponsored by the store in w. pomona , it was on the north side of holt . Jim Savage was the manager of the store .....does anyone know how to contact him?

7. 5w32

5w32

heres the t shirt from the "advance speed and marine " speed shop

Attached Files:

8. 5w32

5w32

well, after cleaning some more of the old whitewash primer off.....the car was painted yellow first ..then orange and sometime in there... a teal/turquoise green.
    the last and current paint at the top level is blue with pinstriped panels like a cheetah

does that jog anyones memory?

Attached Files:

9. 5w32

5w32

found this in the 68-73 pomona yellow pages!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

ca likes this.
  10. 5w32

5w32

heres some more photos after the grey primer was removed, the car was yellow with black spots then red with black spots and finally blue with black panel painted spots

Attached Files:

11. 5w32

5w32

still looking for more info.......

12. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Check out Rick King on the "Performance Boat" web site. He goes by Blown to the Bone. PM him. He may have more amswers for you

13. 5w32

5w32

i have talked to Rick, he has been a great help so far, he had a shirt from the store that i was able recreate the logo and reproduce the new t shirts from.

Rick King did sales and has 55t-bird w/ 871 blown BBC

6 Advance stores were :
    -holt ave in west Pomona n side of st. ,small retail outlet. No shop, closed in 69-70 had part time tire changers...this was a satelite type store
    -w Covina on Vincent
    -Covina on hacienda blvd
    -la puente
    -Azusa
    -el Monte
    Advance went out of business in 75-76

advance shop trucks and el caminos were painted hugger orange and had the names/logos in gold leaf with black outline
    Sponsored: brown henry j,20% setback- 427 side oiler w/ c6, ran high 9s low 10s owned by benson schumaker

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, they are two different cars. Start with the wheelbase: Look at the front wheel placement. There is a 4"-5" difference in wheelbase...(small factor, one could switch spring centerbolt placement with a 5/16" bit and a cheap drill press...and a longer/shorter drag link)

BUT, look at the rear quarter windows! Night & day...These are two different cars.
    (unless maybe different bodies & different chassis: right...)

I was with the Northern contingent from '56-70, with a few 'sorties' South; The Studie Gassere were always attention-getters, we LOVED 'em!

This is an in-depth thread. I live for this stuff.

15. DAVID WEISS

DAVID WEISS

No but I have one Im building at the moment. Wanna see it

16. 5w32

5w32

post some photos and details! lets have a look

17. 5w32

5w32

just got some new info from Garey high school in Pomona: Bob Modereger......when I worked at Ron's Auto Parts (early 70's) there was an auto shop teacher from Garey H.S. that raced a car at the drags with his students. It looks like the car and his name was Royce Hunt (if I remember correctly).

does anyone know how to get hold of any of these students or if Royce is still around?

Attached Files:

18. 5w32

5w32

i found the history of my 40 gasser, here are some old photos, my favorite is 1970 Pomona Winternationals return round pic. i will be posting old 8mm video soon

Attached Files:

19. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

always check with the guys from

gassermadness.com

20. 5w32

5w32

found him and talked to him....now i have the full history, thanks for everyone's help on this, steve

21. Right on Steve.

So, what's the full history?

22. 5w32

5w32

in 1968 the stock car was purchased in long beach by Royce Hunt who was the Garey high school auto shop teacher. the car was turned into an a/gas class race car at the school and became the very first NHRA "legal" high school race program car. the school race club was called "road agents" an they raced the car in brackets and a/gas. it was raced in the 1970 and 1971 NHRA Winternationals at Pomona as well as some other tracks: Irwindale,Fontana,Lions
    it was powered by a 69 455 olds, th400 and aluminum housing olds rear( which was quickly destroyed) and replaced by the dana 60 out of a 69 super bee which is still in it today, the Oldsmobile factory race team supplied the powertrain to the school. it was also sponsored by Advance speed and marine (Pomona store) , this store was owned by Jim Savage and Carey Miller.
    the fastest time the car ran was: 10:78 at 131.45

the car was first painted red with black acetaline spots all over it and it was called "great balls o fire" until the school principal saw it and forced them to repaint it and remove the name because it sounded inappropriate for a school!
    it was then painted blue with panels of black acetaline spots and had Garey High "pomona" on the doors with advance speed and marine on the quarters( still there today)

23. Nice work man! We often wondered about the history of the car...kudos to you for tracking it all down.

24. 5w32

5w32

thanks , it was alot of creative searching but well worth it...now i can start restoring it.

25. Which version do you think you will restore it to?

I sure do like this version of the car with the panel paint job.

[​IMG]

26. 5w32

5w32

not sure but leaning toward the blue panel painted version....

Attached Files:

27. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

My mind is old now...but I remember hearing about a car done by an automechanics class. This is a great story. My question is what happened to teaching Automechanics in schools? I know we have a great body shop at the school here. This does a heart good that this will be preserved in some way.-Bob

Also, perchance did you know the old MotoGuzzi Eldorado's had Chromed piston sleeves?

28. Another old racer with an interesting history. It's nice that you finally got the whole story.

29. I second that one!