Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T Bucket Tops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmc3113, Oct 12, 2010.

1. dmc3113

dmc3113

I've done a search, but I can't anything on t bucket tops. Please any pictures you might have.

2. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Ted Brown T ......I think it's the same top as CCR sells :D

Attached Files:

3. butch27

butch27

Hijack: Does anyone have a way to mount the top instead of that BIG ugly bolt/knob through the side of the body?

4. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

what does ccr stand for?

5. dmc3113

dmc3113

California Custom Roadster

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A socket in rim of cockpit to stick top bow in,can be a 3/8in.pin in end of top bow that then goes into 3/8in. hole in small plate[socket]on lip of cockpit,rest is held by snaps and turnsnapins. header bar across windshield top is wood [oak] with locks to hold down to post.
    A tonue is better for most "T",the tops get really messed up at any speed over 30 mph or so,and man there hard to get in and out with top on.;)
    There few if any that fold down so ya can run at highway speed on buckets.
    I made a folder top many years back,cus i was working then for a boat bimi top out fit.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

California Custom Roadsters

I absolutely hate those tall T tops. Hoping with my 26 RPU project I can accomplish a better looking top, more like the "A" or 32 chopped tops.

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I made the frame of mine out of cut down (narrowed) aluminum boat bows. Used an old piece of oak flooring for the windshield header and held it all together with some heavy cotton strapping I had around. Took it all to my local upholster with a copy of the April 1957 Car Craft (Kookie Kar issue) and told him "make it look like this.

Attached Files:

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

10. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I got one from Speedway. It came in kit form. The tubing is cut long so you can trim it to size. I ended up chopping it 13" and narrowing it 6" to fit my T. Looking to get upolstered next.

11. storm king

storm king

Total Performance had what I think was the nicest top for T's, and it was a hardtop.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Now that is what I call a more acceptable top profile.
    None of that way up in the air tall crap. :)

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think a distinction can be made between a T bucket or T roadster based on an original body, and a "T bucket" or fiberglass "Fad T" .

I personally am not a fan of the 23 Fad Ts , I prefer the original 26 -27 steel bodies.

As the one above shows, a top can look much lower and more traditional hotrod than on the tall 23 glass cars.

They ( Glass 23s) always looked too much like a cartoon car or a caricature of a hot rod for my tastes.

Here is another T roadster that I thought has a nice top profile.

Attached Files:

14. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I never had mine over about 40 with the top on but it was such a pain in the ass to get in and out of i took it off and stashed it in my storage shed. Besides, i like the looks better with out the top.

Attached Files:

15. butch27

butch27

Sure--If you're in Fresno,CA LOL

16. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

I think I'm going to just stick a raincoat and a hat in the trunk on mine.:rolleyes:

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Modified 31 Ford Roadster top irons and I made my own top bows and header. Found a sewing machine at a yard sale and bought some boat nagahyde made my own patterns and there ya go. I am in this top about $400.00

[​IMG]

18. Hemi-roid

Hemi-roid
    from Cary, IL

If you really want to drive your T and enjoy it, a good top is the only way to go. My top has an integral windshield wiper mount, and side curtains. There is a pouch inside near the back that stores the side curtains until you need them. The top is easily removable, but does not fold. I have had it to 130Mph, and it is stable and secure. I have over 78,000 miles on my T, and there is nothing more fun than cruising cross country without having to worry about the weather.

Three weeks ago I got caught in the worst rain storm in the 15 years I've had my car. There were 55 Mph wind gusts and the rain was going sideways. It was blowing so hard that rain was being blasted through the teeth of the zipper on my side curtains. I don't even want to think of how miserable (and wet) I would have been without them.

[​IMG]

19. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Fresburg is not your stereotypical Cal beach town. We're in the Central Valley that has actual seasons. Like 110+ degrees in the summer, rain, dense fog and freezing temps in the winter.

And i still hate the looks of my T-Bucket with the top.

20. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

creedence clearwater revival:D

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Royal Shifter...THAT is a perfect top...and that car is EXACTLY what T-buckets are supposed to look like. Never understand why a builder would go through all the trouble to install a dropped axle, suicide front end, all the work it takes to get the car closer to the ground and sleeker looking - then they go and install a top that puts the profile of the ride right back where Henry had it in the 20s....

dj

22. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Royalshifter has THE top, If I had kept mineI would have done one like his.

Attached Files:

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is as nice a T bucket as you will ever see. That top profile is perfect, not as stupid looking and cartoonish as most of the TALL ones.

Very nice, I like it a lot.

24. Sorry to everyone that has one, but those huge tops are ugly as shit.

25. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

That's why the top for mine is stashed in the storage shed.

Some day after i add a door then i might do a top like Royalshifter's

[​IMG]

26. dmc3113

dmc3113

27. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, man! :D

28. Deuces

Deuces

Here's TV Tommy's..

Attached Files:

29. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Mine's not folding. At highway speeds over 100mph, never budged. Fabric is tight as a drum.:D I might play around this winter and make a folding frame for it though.