Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE cam sprocket doesn't fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdtreur, Oct 11, 2010.

1. rdtreur

rdtreur

I got myself a Edelbrock performer-link timing chain set (7808) for my 1964 Ford 390 FE with the stock cam. During instalation I noticed that the cam sprocket dowel doesn't fit the stock cam........:mad: The 390 doesn't have the trustplate type cam. Mine has a spring and button.

Did I buy/get the wrong timing set for a '64 FE?
    Will this Edelbrock timing set only fit Edelbrock cams?
    Which timing set will work on my cam?

I can post pics if this helps out more.

Please help me out... It's hard to get good FE info here in the Netherlands...

2. 76cam

76cam

The one we bought came with 2 dowels mabey one fell out of the box. You might try youre old one it should work fine with the new sprocket. If not check another timing set but like I said you should have two diffrent pins.

3. rdtreur

rdtreur

There where no dowels in the kit at all....
    The old dowel fits in the new sprocket (very easy) but the sprocket hole and the cam hole don't line-up....

4. 76cam

76cam

Thats weird unless they gave you the wrong one to begin with.Are you sure the crank or mabey the cam idint turn to make them not line up

5. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

6. rdtreur

rdtreur

It sure is weird. The distance from the bolt hole to the dowel hole is twice as big on the old sprocket. I'm working on some pictures as we speak.

7. rdtreur

rdtreur

Old cam sprocket:
    [​IMG]

New cam sprocket, Edelbrock 7808:
    [​IMG]

8. rdtreur

rdtreur

9. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

It sounds like you have the earlier 1958-1963 timing setup since you mention you have the thrust button and spring. Are you sure your engine is a 1964? Easiest solution would be to just get the earlier timing set. Sealed Power part # KT3494SA4 RockAuto.com carries it and apears to ship international.

10. 62rebel

62rebel

this is why i parted out my '59 and '60 FE's instead of rebuilding them. too many dead-end ideas Ford was using that were sometimes one year only deals, and difficult to work around with little cash. dang; that's some harsh words from a diehard Ford guy, ain't they...

11. I don't think you have a 64 motor, but rather an early 63 or older. Isky spacer #350AW for all FE Fords 1962 & earlier required.

12. rdtreur

rdtreur

I think I got a old style cam in a new style block. In the photo you can see the trustplate bolt holes and the old style cam with the "nose".

Can this cause any problems?
    Are the cam bearings all the same, old and new style?
    Here's the photo:
    [​IMG]

13. I,m just learning to speak FE but I have to agree, looks like a early cam in a later block, I just rebuilt mine in the last few weeks and it is a 67 390, block looks similar but that cam ?? I realize all manufactures early ideas are a design with change as it rolls. Anyone else have ideas or speak fluent FE?

14. 61falcon

61falcon

I say time to upgrade that cam and wake up that FE.

15. madgrinder

madgrinder

That's the early cam in a later block.

Either get the later cam and thrust plate, or get the early timing set. How does the cam look?

16. rdtreur

rdtreur

Cam and lifters look great. If I want to change to a new style cam do I need to change/alter some oil passages?

17. 76cam

76cam

No you shouldnt have to since that is a new style block.But if it was working fine before i would just go get the other sprocket it's alot cheaper then a cam. But also if you want to change the cam now would be the time since you got it tore down this far.

18. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Is the original cam a solid lifter?

19. rdtreur

rdtreur

@ 34 toddster: No it's a hydraulic cam.

If I can find a old style timing set here in the Netherlands I'm gonna use the stock cam. If I need to order one in the states, i'm gonna get me a nice Crower Baja Beast cam and matching valve springs to spice things up.

20. I have a the same problem, the opposite way... i got a 62 Bird! Ford changed the hole timing set in 63! So it was hard to get a set for my 62...and yours looks like what i need and i got one from summit that you need! I guss ;)

21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

It's not necessarily a later block, in fact probably not, why would anyone use the early setup in a later block? The two holes are there in an earlier block, are your holes tapped? The ones I've converted in the past just required tapping the holes, then you could use the later thrust plate- most 406's have been converted by now. That'll get you away from that goofy system like the Chebbies use- at least Ford put a spring in there LOL. I haven't converted one in about twenty years, but it was pretty easy
    BTW, the best six bux you'll ever spend on an FE is a set of ARP bolts to replace those Phillips-head screws on the thrust plate.

22. rdtreur

rdtreur

Nice to see this thread back up! Thanks for the info but my FE is back in the Merc and all is good. The holes where already tapped and the bearings are the same so a new style cam was a easy drop-in.
    I did a complete rebuild with a "new style" 268H Crower Baja Beast cam, pistons, bearings, the works. Runs like a champ! IT'S A LEAK FREE FORD FE ( I got lucky or I'm a very good engine builder :D!!!)

It looks good to:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Damn nice looking engine! You have fuel injection?

24. Mart

Mart

I'm thinking gas conversion not fuel injection.

Mart.

25. rdtreur

rdtreur

Your right Mart, it's à propane conversion. Fuel is very expensieve here in the netherlands. Lpg (propane) is much cheaper. This way i can still cruise the big Merc as a dailly driver.

26. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

That's cool too. I ran propane on a little truck awhile back. Gasoline was cheap then so I, eventually took it off. Oil changes lasted longer, engine was very clean inside. Good stuff if the value is there.