Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Chevrolet Parkwood "OLD GOLD" 108k Original Miles "Patina Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.1961, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I can't believe you bought that car with the 2bbl carb and distributor cap missing! Ha! All of us shud be so lucky!

Super find! A real nice build and an awesome ride.

Since it seems as though we're voting, I'd say the steelies or chrome reverse wheels wud match your patina exterior a lot better. The hi-dollar wheels seem to crave a matching hi-dollar paint job. Bottom line is that it doesn't make a rat's patoot what anyone else thinks, it's what you like that counts.

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

sweet ride man, looks killer

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

Awesome ride!!! A few years off topic, but here is my O/T '67 Falcon "Patina" wagon:

This is an original 81,000 mile 1967 Falcon wagon that will become my parts chaser, grocery getter and all around utility vehicle. A friend of mine found it in Carrizozo,NM. and I bought it a little less that a year ago. I got it from the second owner. It was bought new near Albuquerque,NM. in April of 1967. I have the original sales invoice that was in the glovebox. It still wears the original Wimbledon White paint and has the original red seat covers and carpet. Everything works on this car!!! It has a 289 2V engine, C-4 automatic tranny, power steering and factory air.
    I am going to get it on the road with some new belts and hoses as it still had the originals installed as they left the factory. I rebuilt the carb and the engine just purrs.
    Here is the car just the way it was found:
    [​IMG]
    Mileage is original:
    [​IMG]

The engine looked nasty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A little degreaser works wonders:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one area where I am going to stray from original is the wheels and tires. I am going with a set of vintage ET 5 spokes that I restored. The fronts are 14 x 6 and the rears are 15 x 6:
    [​IMG]

I spent a few days of cleaning all the glass, chrome and interior. I also mounted the wheels and tires. It is now licensed, inspected and insured. It drives like a dream.
    The interior is original:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When was the last time you saw an AM radio?
    [​IMG]
    Wheels and tires mounted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The chrome polished up nicely:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I need to buff the original paint, but it will not be re-painted. You can't fake patina like this:
    [​IMG]

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Try http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/ for seat belts. They have the original style chrome lift up latches in the correct fawn color for $19.95/each, not including the mounting hardware. I have a set in my Bonneville and I've been happy with them.

5. I LOVE the gold painted engine! I know a lot of guys dont, but I think its kick ass myself. The wagon looks great now.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

x4,000,000

The change of wheels took straight to non-hamb style. I think they look awful. Well even worse than that. :eek:

I don't get all the work to save the patina either, but at least you did nicely with all the interior work. All in all pretty cool except the wheels...

did I mention the wheels?

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Love those 60's Chevy wagons. Nice!

8. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Bad ass wagon, I wish it was mine. Have a 69 Kingswood that same color with a original 396.
    Robert

9. davidh73750

davidh73750

Nice wagon and great execution. Reminds me of User enlows 62 wagon he did in tx. I know everyone would've done this or that different. Instead of spending the cash on big wheels I'd done a disc brake conversion up front.(besides those big wheels take more effort to slow down)
    I like the little 283 I'd kept it too. Mine gets over 20mpg in my biscayne better than my 07gmc now.
    Cool wagon. I found its twin here in OK but not nearly as nice. The one on the trailer I bought and resold. Both these wagons in my pics were only driven about 10years according to the tags then left to pasture. So sad

Attached Files:

10. jcm65

jcm65
    from Santa Rosa

nice wagon! not feeling the wheels, if you want "modern" tires at least go with some wheels from vintage wheel works:
    [​IMG]

those wheels are ridiculously big and ugly.

11. Racrdad

Racrdad

I am totally digging the gold detailed engine. Nice car, I really like it. I think it would look better with a different choice of wheels but I wouldnt pass it up! You did it your way and I can appreciate that!!!

12. davidh73750

davidh73750

this wagon started out with big rims then went to chrome reversed. most of you probably dont know but the wagons back then actually had slightly wider rims. I kept 2 off the 61 I sold

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  13. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thanks David! Yes, I was determined to have this wagon a 9 passenger, that I bought this 64 Chevy Wagon just for the seat and the 9 passenger conversion parts. I'll admit it required some tedious work, but priceless once completed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How's this for a pair of tin snips!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyways, I managed to fabricate a bracket to retain the courtesy lamp and bezel since Old Gold was a 6 passenger wagon it did not have the factory stamping with recessed pocket for the Lamp this is what I came up with. :evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since the factory 9 passenger wagons had damn near impossible to install harness that started on the drivers side up the sail panel across the roof and down the passenger sail panel, I chose to install mine underneath and across the rear cross beam. I chose to use some self tappers with a loom to snug the wire harness and it will disappear.
    [​IMG]
    Loomed and tucked away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big fan of your work Chuckles. Thanks for the props!

Thanks 36couper!

Thanks Gary!
    Hey Xman! I have those nos rocker clips if still needed. Thanks bud!

Thank you Bowtie! I appreciate the words. Seems like everyone has to adhere to certain guidelines when building a particular style vehicle. 2010 for me has been a very difficult year for me, and this car has kept me level headed through the times. I built this wagon entirely for me and no one else and it is just what I envisioned from the beginning.

Sweet wagons! Thanks for sharing and your input.

14x6 were stock for Wagons. However, mine were not stock when I received the Parkwood, they were all mismatched rollers 14x5. I put my convertible stock wheels on at the time.
    By the way, that 60 is my buddy John Dodson's. And he has new BIG WHEELS back on her. He ended up installing some Salt Flat Specials "Bonnevilles".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  14. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

This was just about the only rust on the car, so the pans were torched out replacement pans were put in. Probably from sitting in the field with no tires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  15. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Before I ripped out the garage built 283, I cleared the original wheel wells, rad support, hood (underside) to preserve the patina. The end result was a mahogany or granite counter top like effect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thanks Racrdad!

The first engine (283) that I built was a Olds Gold color, and the crate (350) I shot with VHT high temp Gold Flake.

17. marc33

marc33

Love the style on the wagon. I have an OT 71 GMC that I did basically the same thing to and am about to build a 56 2 door post chevy the same way.

Be-a-utiful!!!

18. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thank you, thank you. I love 56 2 door post cars, make sure to start a topic on your build. :)

[​IMG]

19. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I love 61's and I love wagons. This one is no exception. I really love the things you gave attention to. and the fact that you did not get lost in all the stupid little things that will take a car down for years and years.
    Although I do like the car with the wheels you have on it it really isnt my thing. I personally like the OG wheels you had on it. even a set of chrome reveresed would rule. Or how bout a set of cragar star wires!!!!! but hey it isnt my car. and It looks great as is.

Nice work.

whats next.

20. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thanks for the kinds words SLAMIT. What's next, is a good question, I'm thinking of supercharging the 350 and finishing the ac with Vintage Air.

As far as projects go, I'll eventually end up building a 30's Ford 5 window coupe with a 6" chop, completely black with air ride will be the theme. 6x2 intake on a small block chevy. All in time. :D

21. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

How about somebody photoshop a set of chrome reverses with spider caps and wide whites on that car? Other than that it needs nothing! Beautiful car inside and out! Who knew back in the day that moms grocery getter could be so friggin cool!!!:cool: I love it!

22. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thank you. :cool:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not with wide whites, it's a 61, skinnies. :eek::rolleyes::cool::D

24. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Not just you Zman, but to everyone else who likes the stock steelies, yes I do have them and I have the choice to go back and forth between wheels if I so desire. The custom wheels are NOT billet and are casted polish 2 piece Americans, to all those who inquired.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man I think it looks 100x better with the steel wheels. I think it would look outta sight with a set of Skylark wires. ;)

I didn't read every post here, but your car reminds me of my buddy John's wagon. His is a '60 Chevy with a beautiful interior and kickass turbocharged LS1. It still has all the bumps and scrapes that have been clearcoated over.

Oh yeah, I have a beater wagon too-

[​IMG]

26. thebugbox

thebugbox

I would do a tech article on the CLR part! I had no idea it would do that. I will be trying that soon!

27. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

You learn something new everyday. ;)

28. great wagon! time to take my 64' out of drydock.

29. Good to see that wheel go to good use.

Here's a picture of the car it came off of in the early 90's. Built from a 33,000 mile 6 cyl glide car. 468/400. Sold it about 8 years ago to helf fund my '32 Brookville roadster.

Charlie

Attached Files:

30. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I love station wagons! This was my OT project
    [​IMG]
    Custom Dash I had made, I designed the look and Kenny's Rod Shop did it. He is still mad at me for making him wire up a Ford.
    [​IMG]
    This was my business car, I had so many ideas for this but the money and time just wasn't working for me. I had no garage to work on it then. It had to be a daily driver too.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.