Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Chevrolet Parkwood "OLD GOLD" 108k Original Miles "Patina Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.1961, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

I was put on to this time capsuled jewel by a good friend of mine about eight months ago who knew about it and told me it was a super solid find. Not to mention it being a factory a/c, power steering, power brakes, power back glass, 6 passenger, 283/2spd, sporting all original fawn paint (patina), virtually complete, I was ready to seal the deal.

Last registered in 1973, sitting country side in Comanche, Tx.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My plans are to get the Parkwood mechanically sound (yank out the old 283/2spd in one-shot), redo all the brakes, drop in the freshly done up 283, 2 speed powerglide or TH350, all new wiring harnesses, air ride suspension, new bushings, balljoints, brakes, tie rods, pitman, power steering slave, hoses, etc. I will attempt to preserve the priceless patina with the help of a good friend by laying down 3 to 4 coats of urethane clear once the metal is the paint is prepped. Add some tasteful aluminum wheels. Lastly, get the interior completely redone with a Cars1 fawn Parkwood interior kit and perhaps add a 9 pass seat.

Here's my 1961 283 that has been completely gone through, refinished in gold, Power Pack heads, Mild cam, Pete jackson gear drive (Poor Man's Blower), Sanderson headers, Alan Grove componet brackets, RB Hi-Torq mini-starter, Edelbrock accy's and 500cfm 4bbl carburetor, MSD ready to run HEI distributor, 8.5mm MSD SF wires, Bosch Platinum .035 gap plugs, dual Smithy's 30" glasspacks to ensure this Wagon is running nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

First job once she came home was to swap out the front passenger door that had a significant crease and replace it with one that was provided by the previous owner. The patina is a perfect match.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Replacement Door.
    [​IMG]

3. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

This is about the coolest piece of originality that I've found on Old Gold. Assembly line writing "863" which was most likely done for assembly workers to know this was a Parkwood series vehicle being built prior to the delivery of the cowl tag. 863 = Bel Air/Parkwood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

About to take flight...
    [​IMG]
    Almost 50 years later the original drivetrain is finally gone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Wow! That engine is artful.

Gotta go now...HAVE. TO. GET. A. WAGON!!!!!!!!!!

6. Great score.

Congratulations. That will make a great driver.

(& that engine is gorgeous!!!)

7. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

New Dash, Front Headlight & Engine harness along with an updated horn relay. Plus, Energy Suspension motor mounts & trans mount. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thanks fellas! That engine actually went bye, bye, I ended up purchasing a brandnew 350 GM Performance Crate engine 290 horse, upgraded to 325 horse.

37 years later OLD GOLD shows signs of life once again.
    Parking, Low Beam, High Beam, Dash Lights, Trans Indicator, Fuel, Temp, Speedometer, Tail Lamp running/brake, courtesy lights all working. Tailgate lights aren't working but reading 12 volts at the socket, both bulbs are shot and seem to be alot smaller in size to a 1156.
    [​IMG]

9. rdtreur

rdtreur

Nice project, wagons are coooooool. Nice motor!

10. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Started cleaning house! Here's whats left of the original floor mat/carpet. :cheesy:
    [​IMG]
    I must of knocked off about 10 to 15 pounds of Texas cake from the frame today, there was so much of this stuff that you could not even see there was a brake line going across the crossmember.

[​IMG]
    Replaced all 4 headlights today with new, and managed to install both M&H wiring harnesses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last but not least, I picked up a nice original grille guard that matched the patina and she got her braces put on them teeth.
    [​IMG]

11. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Acquired a pair of original bumper steps with a nice patina to go on the Wagon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

All the factory EZ-EYE GREEN glass is still in great shape. However, the windshield did not fair to well in the Texas hail storms of many, many decades. So, I had my buddy Jay drop by and give me a hand installing a new windshield from Auto City Classic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once we freed up the uprights and top windshield stainless mouldings, I ran the stainless across my highspeed wheels to a restored luster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All buttoned up.... :nicoderm:
    [​IMG]

13. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Here's a shot of the rebuilt Front brakes that I did. Thanks goes to my buddy Jorge who gave me a brandnew front end brake overhaul kit which included new hoses, wheel cylinders, springs, pins, clips, shoes, basically the whole 9! Thanks for the hookup Jorge! ;)
    [​IMG]

Gloss Black Powdercoated A-arms I've had for almost 2 years and finally found use for them. I installed Energy Suspension bushings and Moog Ball Joints in them. I had one passenger side chrome cross shaft, so I said the heck with it, I'll use it. The driver's side crossshaft is old school 50 year old rust and the end caps as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

camer2 likes this.
  14. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

I finally got Old Gold back on the ground, but not before installing new the bag brackets, bags, temporary schrader valves, Moog tie-end rods, rebuilt power steering slave and valve, new hoses will be installed tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :D

15. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Time for a little CLR bath.:D

[​IMG]
    Here's what I was up against.
    [​IMG]

Half hood done..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Viola. :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Roof task.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All the hardwork to get this beauty to come out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A fine blend of Red Oxide and Fawn Metallic. :nicoderm:
    [​IMG]
    Sky shot courtesy of T-nizzo.
    [​IMG]
    This is truly better than any Van Gogh or any other b.s.
    :beerbang

16. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Added a 61 wagon gas door guard...
    [​IMG]
    I decided to spray the side moulding inserts in Fawn to add a little character. This is actually a different color, but it is a damn near match.
    BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

New power brake master cylinder installed, along with new stainless lines from classic tube.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

After 2 CLR treatments, a thorough wash, blow dry, mask and prep it was time to let the clear flow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fresh out the paint shop sporting 3 coats of PPG Deltron Urethane Clear

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Not satisfied with the performance of the 283, I purchased a brand new GM performance long block from ATK, and had a bigger cam put in her.
    [​IMG]
    Installing the Harmonic Balancer, New Edelbrock Performer EPS polished intake, brandnew phenolic spacer, and Edelbrock 600cfm carb. Can't forget them Stainless ARP fastners to snug her all down. :cool: :cool: :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Here's the Crate 350 all put together with my 283 accy's installed. I bought some Alan Grove componet ac and alt brackets in bare steel. Placed them in my drill press and did some custom skeletonizing to give some character, after that they went straight to my local plater for some bling treatment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  21. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Hood and Tailgate pinstriped..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Completed the air ride suspension all snugged away in the spare tire carrier compartment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some extra 61 dash knobs lying around, so I used them for my air ride switches to keep that original look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

The laundry list of interior goodies arrived, as well as the Cars Inc. interior kit.
    [​IMG]

Cars Inc. showed at my house today. All fresh new threads ready to get installed. Happy with the outcome of the work, I'm eager to get this stuff in the car. Here's a few photos of their work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. joey tee

joey tee

25. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

26. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Gutted interior and raped of her mouldings...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Special Thanks goes to Charlie Chops here on The H.A.M.B. for selling me this beautiful original 1961 Bel Air steering wheel that is pretty damn near brand new. I used this wheel to PPG color scan and finalize the interior color.
    [​IMG]

After prepping was finished it was time to lay two coats of base followed by three coats of high solid clear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the second pass of clear, one more to go....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally baked after three coats of clear. Truly, a dazzling color in the sunlight. I will definitely keep this color in mind for another project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent the seats out for upholstery and refinished the rear steel panels to match the dash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Couple more shots of the freshly painted dash...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  27. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Removed the floor covers to clean out the rear pan it was filthy as hell and now once again shows its factory paint, but it was time to clean her up and shoot some base/clear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Freshly laid carpet, windlace, sunvisor brackets, dome lamp, headliner and new steering wheel installed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Me putting the seats and door panels in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

I took these pics just before I tore her apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 weeks later. I forgot to mention I scored a 9 passenger seat out of a 64, so I went ahead and had it upholstered.

9 pass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2nd row
    [​IMG]
    Front seat
    [​IMG]

30. Man for a second I thought you had my old car...nice work!!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.