Register now to get rid of these ads!

Our very Rare Lead spray gun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52fiper, Oct 10, 2010.

1. 52fiper

52fiper

Hi

We like to show you Hot lead spraying tool

Next month we start to do some body work on our 52Fiper project.
    We have a old very unique European leading gun where there were only a hand full of are made ( modern bondo came in at the same time in the 60's - 70's therefor the marketing of this tool was doomed and very low numbers were produced)
    Today with the new lead free leads the tool is a very useful body tool , of course we only use it with very good protection.
    Tool works as followed it has a cup that holds the lead , a propane burner under the cub that heats up and melts the lead, than just like a spray gun it is hooked up to a airhose and the hot melted lead can be sprayed like a liquid.
    The metal has to be pre-tint to make the lead bond, after that you can flow the lead and have an almost unlimited thickness. Nice flow and ready for minimum filing

Regards Ben and Mika
    52Fiper

[​IMG]

2. PJ_GARST

PJ_GARST
    from kansas

That thing is really neat i would like to see how it works. Is it For Sale????

3. Vee 888

Vee 888
    from texas

probally the most dangerous thing made after the flame thrower

4. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Where Protection.. Full vizor.. and Resporator. .Lead sprayed is more Toxic , than paddling it on. even that is a discomforting thought.. Be Safe..... Kinda like to have you around to enjoy your Ride ..

5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

interesting. when i was working at Fisher Body in Lansing, MI back around 99/2000 they were using silicon bronze to fill the seam where the sail panel and roof skin came together. we had a gun that melted silicon bronze wire (looked like a spool of MIG welding wire) and sprayed it onto the body of the car. we then ground and sanded it smooth... it usually warped the crap out of the sheetmetal on those Grand Ams... one of the worst jobs i ever had. i got carpal tunnel from running a grinder for 9 hours a day 6 days a week..... but still, that thing is pretty cool.

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have an asbestos chopper gun.....

7. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like it's a gravity feed type spray gun

;)

8. belair

belair

Will it spray plutonium? Got a friend with a portable powder coating set-up that is now the 2nd most scary thing I've seen.

9. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Used one back at Wyo Tech in 1980. One of the shop teacher's brought it in for me to use on my 63 galaxie convert door. Worked great at first, then it belched a hot glob of lead. Several students almost got burned. Teacher said he remembered then why he quit using it. Be very careful! Hard to get enough heat without warpage to really make it effective,on a large area.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Where do i buy one?? I would love to fill peoples cars with hot lead, i already have enough other guns to fill people with it

11. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Thats neat.... centuries ago people actually made drinking cups and eating utensils out of lead,....crazzy

12. BigJim394

BigJim394

They are not that rare. I knew a few guys that have one or had one. They had them in the 1940s.
    Fumes from melted lead are VERY toxic, as you appear to know.

13. killerbees

killerbees
    from mo

The guys i work with melt lead, They do it in the garage and use it to make sinkers for snagging ( some sort of fishing ) i tried to warn them about melting old tire weights and other used lead but they know more than me. So i avoid thier garage at those times..

14. Must have been a Flamespray pistol. They have been using them since the early 20's.

My line of work is manufacturing/sales of Thermal Spray (Flame and Arc)equipment and consumables.
    We have a few customers the use our equipment in the restoration/customizing biz.

They have been able to reclaim one-off parts from rare european vehicles and also save minor rust through panels from the torch (or cut-off tool). You can also spray different metals and polish them to coat custom parts.

Similar to spraying lead although we must blast the substrate for a anglular profile to achieve the correct bond.

15. studhud

studhud

Thats cool I like tools! I still like paddling lead tho. I bet it does no better than a torch and a paddle with some skill.

And dont listen to the guys "oh lead your gunna die!" "hot lead fumes your gunna die! Shit welding with a mig or stick produces way more fumes than heating and paddling lead .
    But...
    Tinning lead on a panel with acid then hittin it with a damp rag IS REAL BAD so dont breath that shit. use a fan open doors ect.
    Post some pics of the lead that puts out

Ya thats kool shit I seen a guy spray silica bronze on a plaster bust then antiqued it it looked like a real bronze statue. He also fixes rusty pinholed panels with zinc spray.

Dave Hitch

16. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Wow. Can anyone say self contained breathing apparatus? The things you would be able to do, though, lots of possibilities.

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if that wasn't so serious it would be comical, sounds like homer simpson in autobody class. except he would melt plutonium. interesting tool though. :D I'm getting a mental image of that teacher saying "oh yea, NOW i remember why i don't use it anymore, sorry about your eyebrows "

18. Splinter

Splinter

Yes, I can-it's called SCUBA. And I'm a divemaster. And a wreckdiver. And a night diver. And a rescue diver. Should I go on?

19. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

You should start a Babbit relining business for rare bearing shells... Like G28T etc... :)

20. ceegrey

ceegrey

Seen some really interesting ways to fill and shape but nothing like the gun you have. I work mostly in warbird restoration but always have a couple of auto projects going. With all of the protective gear we use I sure would like to try it.

21. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

As I wouldn't be applying molten lead from a spray apparatus underwater, I left out the U :)

More a nod at the fact that one might want to look into a fresh air system or SCBA if they are going to be doing this.

22. I picked up 3 of them a few months ago and need some wire and tips, PM me your phone # if you don't mind, i could use a little info on them also. Thanks Mike

23. Another type of those "rare" spray guns. :rolleyes: This one uses lead bars in the small melting hopper...

Attached Files:

24. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

while every one is bad mouthing bout their down sides.............

thats a cool tool for the day..............

if it wasnt for people like us picking up old, odd tools like this, our grandkids wouldnt know a thing about the past except for what they read..............

this is cool that some of these old tools are still out their, would i use it now in todays time............probably not.................but its cool to see and cool to talk about it

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

oh i agree, somewhere around here i have special tools i found made for working with asbesdos i grabbed them for the novelty factor. You have to have a laugh at some of the tools that were made though, one of those what were they thinking? deals.

26. 52fiper

52fiper

Hi Looks like we have a interesting topic about old tools, read the post that if we just trash them nobuddy will know the use and inventive minds from the past.
    Does not matter if the tools are save or not Hopefully we know better about the safety today than in those days, there are better safety steps these days too, but yes the materials are still heavely toxic. But do not forget modern bondo...breath that for a while ..with all its chemicals
    Wait 20 years and we hear about the tools and material we use today, its all very relative.
    I smell lots of Mig fumes these day and specially if there are traces of paint left in the pores. Welded a corner last week that had the inside of the door done in por15...talking about crap...I had to escape the shop..this still stuff is bad out of hell when burn ( could not reach the inside to clean before )
    But again , can there be a picture page for old body tools ? , would love to see this and save for future and look back of the past.

Ben
    52Fiper

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  27. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I dont mean to be negitive.. Just be safe, thats all...... My father past away from Lead fumes poisening.. as a Printer .. working as a linotype Operator, The lead was melted is pot to type set out the bars with the lettering..

Ive never seen one of those before... It would be cool to see one in operation..

28. 52fiper

52fiper

I Do not see these post as negative , more as "be carefull when using these old "now" proven toxic tools" .

29. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

You better have a dry air supply. Hot lead & water don't like each other.

30. "As recommended by the Spanish Inquisition".