Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They don't. If you want them to work, you really need to install them in the manifold.;)

2. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

The dumbest things I can remember some clown saying, and I heard it more than once:

"You could never beat my (insert name of shiny new car) with that old pos and here's why"

well, wise ass, you gonna stand there flapping you gums or are we gonna line 'em up? :D

3. Muttley

Muttley

Next time tell the guy "Maybe so, but at least I wont look like a fag driving (insert his car name here)."

4. Il Gatto

Il Gatto

@all: (hood open) guy approaching and having a look at the engine (it's an inline six, btw): "Oh, what a cool V8!"
    I am still giggling :)

5. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

ROFL!! Good one :D

6. My car is painted satin black with a gloss metal flake roof and the dip s**t is looking at my ride (52 Business coupe) and says Cool got it primered when you going to paint the rest of it.....???????? HUH

7. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

The social bit is great and I too like most cars. I can even enjoy talking to the "my father had a model T just like yours" -crowd, just because they show an interest in my car, a stock '30 model A coupe in this case.
    A couple of months ago I was in a hurry to get home and had stopped at the local grocery store. There were two men standing around my car and I suspected they'd want to talk. I didnt have time and didn't want to be rude so I waited a bit and as they left I made a run for the car and took off, but one of the oldtimers caught up and actually popped his smiling face through the open window, on the run! I don't remember much of what he said apart from that I had to be a very happy man!
    I love the response that car gets! It's great fun 99% of the times. Luckily the "too cool" hotrodders or the die hard environmentalists only consist of the 1% that's left over.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

"that'll never fit in there"

"you sure you know what your doing?"

all these said while he's standing there LOOKING AT IT!

9. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

My dad actually has a quite good reply to that:
    "Come back when your car is the age mine is now"

10. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

thats usually my comeback to most of that crap. I believe the guys on top gear put it best.

The hamster: So the honda civic si is faster overall and it costs less. But you say the VW is better. Why?
    Jeremy: Well because the thing about buying the Honda is that you end up.... with a Honda.

11. YoungGun

YoungGun

an old friend of my dads and i ,has a 64 impala 2dr ht....2dr coupe 327/4spd on floor WITH BENCH SEAT STOCK... his brother bought NEW well he bought 10yrs later so they would for sure no any mods ever done to it right?

well at a super chevy so a self proclaimed impala expert came to him and said they never made a bench car with a 4spd on floor,its been in there family snce new but no that guys still insist hes right gm is wrong

12. Sigspeed

Sigspeed

you must be an expert

13. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

haha, I love that one!!

Usually the my best comeback when I had my '63 f100 was to just fire it up and let them listen to the hi-po 289 with the nasty solid lifter Lunati I had in it for a minute...that shut 'em up! :D

I wish I could find my pictures of that old truck, I'd post some. It actually didn't look so bad, best rattle can paint job I ever did lol

14. I thought that line was "you make an ass out of u and me" ...

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

Had the Scout at the track this past weekend. A kid and his "Dad" (??) walked by and had a look. There was a lot of head scratching and sour looks. The old man had a good look underneath. When he stood up he announced, "Nope, it's not a Scout ! Scouts never came with a Dana 60". (He actually held on to the tail gate that says, International Scout) My Brother and I just stood there dumb founded. He looks at me and asks what kind of truck it is. I respond, "It's a 64 Scout". he again states Scouts never came with a Dana 60. I respond by saying they never came with a small block chevy, ladder bars or a straight axle either, but it's still a scout body. I even open the door and show him the builder tag. He's not convinced and walks away with his kid in tow.

16. David Allen

David Allen

important to remember here. An "EX" is a has been and a "SPURT" is only a drip under pressure.

17. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Saw this episode, and I couldn't stop laughing. Then I proceeded to use in on my friend that owns a Honda and is entirely too into tuner cars. He saw one of my carbs in the garage and asked what it was...I rolled my eyes. You would think that someone who works at a parts counter would know a carb...

18. man what a bitch lol:D

i'm building a 50 f-1 pickup, but it's hilarious how many people correct me and say "oh so you're building a ratrod then". now i just correct them and say "well it's actually more of a rugrat". i know it's just them not really knowing or being car guys, but it's still funny

on that note it's interesting how many non car-guys throw around that "ratrod" term, but when i cruised my old bagged s10 on steelies around, everyone always called it "that mexican truck"...colorado is wierd sometimes

19. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

My neighbor stopped over to look at my `32 3-window and said her brother had a T-bucket just like mine. She has great t*ts, so I let it go

20. r8odecay

r8odecay

This post is worthless without pics. :D

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

What is amazing is the fact that the guy knew what a Dana 60 was, but didn't have enough sense to realize that rear ends, motors etc can be swapped out. Must be a salesman at a tuner car dealership. Lets hope the kid grows up with more of a clue.

22. jjbubb10

jjbubb10
    from wa state

after carefully measuring the stroke and bore on my 390/410 had a guy that "knows" lots and has been working on cars all his life tell me that he needs to see it proceeds to use a sewing fabric tape measure and tell me that i measured wrong it is just a regular 390....... wtf???

23. i think it has something to do with being "car people".

i drive a VW jetta, but don't have any less enthusiasm than Mr Deuce Roadster down the street. not that i would try to engage him in common conversation, - but that's not my nature anyway.

today i went to a car show (http://www.hotrodfallout.com/) and had no idea where i was going. when i came to a crossroad and saw a deuce roadster with three two's, a pontiac wagon with surfboards, and two 50 chevys run buy i got in line behind them. that snake caught up with an orange something full fendered coupe and soon everyone was behind a primered 34 pickup. as we got closer, a fenderless 40's something with a huge air scoop got behind me. as a professional courtesy, i pulled over and let him get in behind the proper cars.

i'll wager i had as much fun as the "car guys". hell, i'm still burping up the hamburger i had at noontime!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  24. Deadgearhead;
    Looks like a flathead to me.
    Engine in question was an experimental Chrysler OHV Hemi 6.;)

Attached Files:

25. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

[​IMG]

"You should put some nice wheels on it"
    "It's not a real GTX because it has a column shift auto"
    "I had one in high school with 4.56 gears, it would do 150"

Some guy was pointing out minor paint blems to me and started in how I had the wrong PCV valve, steering wheel center cap emblem, etc... It started to get irritating so I asked the guy where his car was so I cold go pick it apart. That pretty much ended our conversation...

26. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I ran into a 'car guy' on Friday night. We were talking 'old times' and he seemed knowledgable until he informed me that it was impossible that my '63 Plymouth had a 318 in it. According to him it had to have been a 270-something.

Why do people insist that they know what you had better than you did?

27. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

It's an inadequacy thing and because they are unable to manipulate the conversation enough to prove they are more knowledgable, resort to puffery. It's not about the car. To win, just don't take the bait.

28. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

we have a 48 Dodge stake body truck in the shop that we are restoring it has that same engine....crazy little engine...makes NO noise idling...

29. right up there with the dolls leaning against the radiator

[​IMG]

30. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Yep, this is true. Some people don't want to admit they don't know, they are an "expert" don't matter what the subject is. Their ego gets in the way. It applies to lots of things, be it at work, sports, hobbies, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.