Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Leaking Steering boxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Oct 8, 2010.

1. I've been rebuilding Hot Rod Steering boxes since '79, and I just felt compelled to write in today with a little tidbit to help out the rodder brethren.
    Seems a lot of guys write me with wanting to replace their steering box because it leaks.
    Now, maybe I should shut up and take their money,( My wife would tell me that) but I'd rather set everyone straight. Besides, If you bought one of my boxes,it would prolly leak too!
    Here goes- You use AXLE GREASE in your steering box,NOT OIL.
    The seals are not designed to hold back motor oil. Corvair and Vega steering boxes, rather remanufactured,NOS, or Flaming River, or stock, all use AXLE GREASE. DO NOT USE REAR END LUBE or motor oil.
    If you are bummed that your box leaks, drain all that oil out and use a grease gun to grease up your box. It wont leak, I promise. Mikey

deadbeat likes this.
  2. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

how many of you here already knew this and didn't bother to tell the rest of us?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. paintcan54

paintcan54

I did, you didn't ask, can't tell you if you don't ask.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all due respect, I wouldn't use axle grease. With the back & forth movement of the steering gear, the grease tends to be shoved aside and a "pocket" can form in the grease where the parts aren't getting sufficient lube.

I've been using John Deere Corn Head Grease witch is extremely thick, but does flow enough to insure complete and constant lube and I've never experienced leakage. J.D. Corn Head Grease can be obtained at any J.D. Dealer or online.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  6. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I had an old airplane mechanic turn me onto this for my '39 Ford. I filled it with CV axle grease and was good to go. I didn't know this was a commonly accepted practice in the real world though.

7. I always thought the manual boxes were filled with grease!

8. squirrel

squirrel

I've experienced this problem.

CV joint grease sounds like an interesting one to try.

I used to buy the GM manual steering gear lube, but I guess it's no longer available?

9. radio_king

radio_king

Nice timing as I was just about to fill mine with oil today!!Now where did I hide my grease gun??Thanks for the tip.

10. Penrite makes a proper steering box lube. I've just replaced the oil in my leaking s/box and replaced it with Penrite. No more leaks. It's a bit more fluid than axle grease. I'm trying it out in the universal joint of my flathead. I reckon it will work well there too.

11. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Wow! Cool I was wandering why my the Power Steering was leaking, I'm on my way to the shop to drain the fluid and fill it with Grease. Thanx

Good tip, thank you.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

We made our own manual steering box grease. Wheel bearing grease thinned with 90 wt gear lube in a coffee can to get the right consistency that you need to allow it to flow back between the gears after they mesh and squeeze it all away. We've never had a problem.

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I've heard of using straight STP oil treatment. Any thoughts?

14. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I put grease in mine because the seal was damaged, it seemed the logical thing to do.....

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Maybe someone should tell Flaming River. I quit selling their boxs after lots of customer complaints about leaks. I now sell the North American made Vegas.

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Most of the 'old' ones I've ever taken apart had grease in them, I thought if they had oil somebody poured it in by mistake.:D
    There's a zerk fitting on Nash hot rod. I pump it until it comes out somewhere, after a couple of that the entire box will be full, no voids. Same song, different verse on all of the old Chivvy boxes I've worked on.

17. Andy

Andy

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here but I might just add what I have seen. When I tear down a box and find grease, the box is always unusable due to the grease not going where it is needed. The boxes with oil are sometimes worn out but not because of lack of lubrication. I am just taking about 32-48 Ford boxes. I have and can put modern seals in the 32-36 boxes. Ad the tube so they can't leak out the steering shaft, and the are sealed tight. The fill caps specifically warn about adding grease. I sure would not run grease in any I own. Also, the guy that was going to put grease in a power steering box, DON"T. Not designed for that. The later recerculating ball boxes(IE GM) move the grease around and the are designed for grease. They have proper seals and should not leak unless damaged. Just my 2 cents. Please ignore.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I absolutely agree with you.

19. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Maybe if they were greased the same way most greasable equipment is: with grease fitting and also somewhere to observe grease oozing out, it would be better?

On a regular basis, a shot or two of grease would be needed, until clean grease was seen to ooze forth.

This would be one way to overcome the problem you point out.

ETA: Shit, 29Nash just pointed that out too. :(

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Having knowledge and applying that knowledge is two different things. Can't expect a gearbox to last forever without periodic maintenance. Grease or oil, depleted, leads to wear. .......:cool:

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

As far as oil leaks go, they never were a problem until somebody started paving parking lots/driveways.:eek:

Even now, for me, the only real downside is the old lady naggin'.....; 'When are you going to clean up that mess? !! :D

22. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, but if you use the right lube it won't need maintenance for a long time. Oil leaks out, but heavy grease doesn't flow where it needs to. You really should try to find something in between.

23. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep; I think, it's been my experience, if greased every five years or so, the heavy grease is the best way to go in the old gear boxes. Having knowledge and applying that knowledge is two different things. Can't expect a gearbox to last forever without periodic maintenance. Grease or oil, depleted lubricant, leads to wear. ......

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  25. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I watched the above video yesterday...IMPRESSIVE! The gearbox the DEERE folks designed it for effectively "SEEMS" to be similar to the technology employed in some of the raggedy-ol' steering boxes we use on these old hot rods. DEERE probably has a little bit of experience in engineering mechanical "stuff" and the requirements to keep it working. Am I missing something with this proprietary CORN HEAD grease? DD

26. squirrel

squirrel

Only thing I'm missing is where to buy it, there don't seem to be many corn harvesting machines in these parts?

27. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

SQUIRREL...I found the "real" John Deere site to be not-the-easiest to navigate but eventually found the video, and the price ($3.??) per tube...pretty nominal. Surely, there's a way to order it direct. Someone farther up this thread had a link to someone that had it. DD[​IMG]

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

29. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

30. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The John Deere corn head grease was designed to work in the corn header gearbox on JD combines set up to pick & thresh corn but I swear I've seen it or some grease a lot like it in a few CV joints I've taken appart and it was working well in there. JD probably uses it in the sickle bar gear box on the regular wheat & milo cutting combine header too.

Besides being good for a steering box, it's also the cat's meow for torque tube U-joints in all the old Fords with closed drive.

Your local John Deere dealers may not carry it but I'm sure some "on-line" JD dealers do.

Kerby