Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats better holley or edelbrock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi guy 53, Oct 8, 2010.

1. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Iam getting rid of the two fours and going with a dual plane single four intake on a rebuilt 392 hemi, so what brand carb is better and why do you say so? just lookin for advise. thanks

2. Buzznut

Buzznut

For race/strip it's Holley or Demon hands down. For everyday reliabilty, plug and play, no muss no fuss, it's Edelbrock Performer. At least that's MY take on both of them, and I've had about 20 of each...

3. X2 Holleys are easy to work on but you can't beat the reliability of the Edelbrock.

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I agree. Edelbrocks are fail proof but Holleys are better if you like to tinker and get the most out of your carb. Edelbrocks are pretty much fail proof for daily use. How big are you looking at going? I have found that most people want to run too much carb for their street motors. For a mild street motor 600CFM is usually plenty.

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

I agree about CFM. Don't overcarb or you defeat the purpose. If the 392 is a fire breather go with the 750, but if it's around 350hp to 400hp or so then stick with the 600-625.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've had poor performance results with an Edelbrock on my big block Chevy. Just fell flat on it's face about the time it got to freeway speeds. Changed back to the same CFM Holley, and it was like turning on another 50 hp. Much better performance, and infinitely more tuneable.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I disagree. I have been tuning Edelbrocks since they were. They are adjustable 6-ways-from-Sunday.

Of course, I use Oxygen, EGT and vacuum sensors to tune all of the vehicles that leave my shop.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing but Holleys and Demons here.... :) I gotz one hell of a collection of them including a very rare # 4223 850 cfm "Center Squirter"

9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Every Holley I have ever had caused problems. I never had a problem with any Edelbrock. Plus, if I am told correct, Holley is no longer made in america.

10. tex34ford

tex34ford

I've been running an Edelbrock 600 cfm on my 355 Chev for almost 20 years. It was out of the box-adjust the idle-and drive. I'm sure I could improve the mixture a bit it, runs a little rich, but I'm getting lazy as I get older. I went with Edelbrock because it seemed like every other month a magazine had "how to live with your Holly' articles.

11. 58custom

58custom

The AFB-types have an annoying tendency to evaporate the bowls when left to sit over a week causing much cranking to start unless you have an electric fuel pump. Yes they are stupid easy to tune (don't even have to kill the engine to change rods and springs) but goddamn what a a pain if you don't drive regularly. As for Holleys they were OEM from 1957 well into the 1980s. Especially on Fords. I have used many a Holley and will continue to. Love them. Love the tunability. love the look. Love the performance. Also loved my Edelbrock, except for the damn hard starting issue.

Some people love to hate on one or the other. Just understand that anyone who really hates the Holley or the AFB is someone who can't tune a carb, despite all of their claims of experthood. Just keep that in mind. You will do well with either carb. So let your artistic vision, your esthetic sense guide you. Which carb looks better to you? Choose that one. You will be able to tune it just fine.

PS: my 352 has three Holleys.

12. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

i have a edelbrock carb and edelbrock intake on my 46 chevy pickup and it drives great with it i had a carter and holly on it and both of they took power from my truck.thanks

13. studebaker46

studebaker46

my opinion is the chrys. used the carter afb afs same as the edelbrock for the street its pretty simple tom

14. I bought an Edelbrock for a 70 chev3/4 ton PU. The one that looks like a Q Jet.The engine was a crate 250 hp. I still talk about it. It was the BEST thing after all these years that I have bought. Adjusted idle,set mixture,and got 20+ mpg.I would buy one again in a heartbeat! For my HEMI- I'm going with a Holley 780. But that's just me.....

15. madgrinder

madgrinder

Both are excellent carbs... pick the one that fits your intake (and your budget).

16. 5window

5window

Ginger or MaryAnn? Betty or Veronica? Bo or Luke (gotta be politically correct)?

For my money, I'll take MaryAnn,Betty, neither and Edelbrock.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never run an Edelbrock carb myself so I have no personal experience with them but my buddy who runs them swears by them. He isn't prone to tweak them though and runs them straight out of the box. I've run Holleys for the past 30+ years and do tend to tweak them and like them but don't feel that they are for everyone. I would say that they may be easier to set up and tune for the guy who has limited equipment to set them up with. Change the jets and make a pass and check the time slip and read the plugs. I have never bought a new carb in my life always buying a used carb and rebuilding it. The Holleys are pretty friendly to that concept if they didn't suffer abuse by the p/o.

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I'm a dunce when it comes to Edelbrock carbs but I have run both Edelbrock and Holley. For racing, I understand Holleys and fine them easier to work on then Edelbrocks. For a street car, I use Edelbrock because I've found them pretty maintenance free.

19. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Thanks for the input guys Iam leaning towards the edelbrock and according to the cubic inch x max rpm divided by 3456 method i come up with 750 cfm. Any thoughts on that? Ijust rebuilt it with 10.1 pistons , mild cam, headers, not planning on anything over 6500 rpm. input please,

20. I agree about the edel starting thing. Just pisses me off. Never had the problem with the holley. Edel runs good thou once it's fired up. It's just the starting thing after a week lay up.

21. madgrinder

madgrinder

That formula assumes 100% volumetric efficiency. You don't have that;)

Go with a 600-650

22. 58custom

58custom

Yup. Lived with it for years on the Cougar. Again, an electric fuel pump will cure it. Now, I never just run a carb out of the box, so I always expect some fangling no matter what. But the Edelbrock was a ghood carb, no doubt.

What I am saying in this thread is either carb is great, unless it's not. Tuning puts the cherry on the cake. Even the SUs on my Midget need tuning. Tuning is life, people. Embrace it!

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have only ever run Holley's so I really cant comment other than to say I have only ever had trouble with two, they were two of the 850 Center squirter's on a 427. Maybe I should have kept them??!!

Doc.

24. Deuces

Deuces

A vacuum gage like the one from Craftsman is a must when setting the idle mixture screws... In fact, I have a in dash o/t Auto Meter vacuum gage in my '91 Fox car just to keep tabs on things....

25. I have had good and bad results from both, the edlebrocks were the most consistant trouble free, the holleys seem to get a little worst fuel econmy, takes your choice,,,,Sam

26. Deuces

Deuces

Your right Doc! then again one is all you need on a 427.... 2 of those would have been overkill..... By the way.... How's the Harley coming along??? :D

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Harley? Slowly!!
    The 427 was a monster of a motor, it did need the two! That was quite a while ago, back when I had that money stuff, hell even before I got the 38!

Doc.

28. das858

das858

I've been running an AFB on my 1938 Plymouth pick-up in my avatar for 11 plus years with zero trouble ever. Also run one on my o/t 1969 Cuda for even longer with same great results.The float bowl does go dry when sitting for a week, but I consider that minor for the great driveability otherwise. Hot restarts are fantastic, as good as modern electronic fuel injection. I would also recommend the 625 cfm version, unless you're going to drag race it a lot, then the Holley is superior.

29. aircoup

aircoup

ive got edelbrocks on all three of my ride,s and two 600,s on my 354hemi for me theyre foolproof

30. bigbilly32

bigbilly32

had this very discussion this evening. No conclusion drawn.