Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Angelika, my newest baby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seventhirteen, Sep 4, 2010.

1. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

It was about 20 years or so that I had traded Hank over at Old Cars and Parts a mustang 2 front end for a model A frame. I'd sit in the yard with my buddy Sibley thinking about the car I someday wanted to build, that frame is long gone and since then I've put several cars on the road including 2 1930 coupes, a 50 merc and a long list of inbetween cars and motorcycles. Even while building the other 2 coupes I always seemed to hold back some parts, not wanting to waste them.

Well, I decided it was time to build the car I always really wanted, and so it starts. The body is a compilation of 3 model A coupes keeping the best of each I put together a decent pile of old henry steel to work with. I have started some of the patch panels and have skinned the doors to the beltline.

[​IMG]

The plan is a mild chop 2" or 3", my first coupe I chopped 3" I may even go less, but no way I'll go more. I've done the radical chopped and channeled in the past and wasn't that thrilled with it. Here's a shot of the first coupe I built and sold (to a fella here in town, never seen it since nor has anyone I know, sometimes I like to think it could be a garage find in the future)

[​IMG]

The new build will be similar to this car, light chop, unchanneled with radius rods

[​IMG]

The power plant is a 327 that I rebuilt, 461 double hump heads, out of production edelbrock three deuce intake, rams horns, m22 four speed with an ansen scattershield, didn't reinvent the wheel here but are some neat old chevy goodies here.

[​IMG]

The pedal assembly uses stock model A pedals and I'm pretty happy with the look and function of it, the clutch pedal is layed down for ease of body removal, an old hurst shifter will power through the gears with enough clearance to run a stock Model A bench seat

[​IMG]

In the rear I'll be using an early ford 9" with a 35 spring I reversed the eyes on, slung behind the axle, I have a really nice rumble seat and am trying to be able to use it although I'm not entirely happy with the stance, I am really trying to not have to kick the frame up into the rumble seat area, up front is a drilled so-cal axle, 40 ford spindles and drilled out brakes

[​IMG]

So here is where I'm at as of today, I figured by starting a build thread I could time stamp where I'm at so to speak, as I have an attention span the length of my arm and my wife has a whole fleet of cars for me to work on.

Car got named Angelika as it was the name I wanted to name my youngest daughter Ashley as you can see I lost that arguement....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

nice looking car...good luck on the build!

3. ScottV

ScottV

I like it ... she should be alot of fun.

4. StudebakerBob

StudebakerBob
    from Lapeer MI

There are so many cool ways to built that car at the stage it's at now! I am so jealous!

Old bodies like that are like looking for chicken lips here in Michigan and if you can find one you pay through the nose for it!

You are a lucky man.................Good Luck!

5. big bad john

big bad john

Real nice car......Keep us posted in the future.....enjoy and thank you for the thread.......Big Bad John:D

6. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Here's a little photochop action

[​IMG]

This is a 2" chop, lowered an inch with larger profile tires in the rear, this would be a good representation of the stance I'm looking for.

Not sure if it's how others do it but I marked 1 inch lines on the top, total of 4 inches which let me drop the top in photoshop and see what it would look like with a 2, 3 or 4 inch chop

still on the fence whether i'll go 2" or 3"

7. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

made up some hangers for the rear spring and tacked them up

[​IMG]

hopefully will get rear end mounted this weekend so i can finish up the radius rods and build a cross member

[​IMG]

8. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Saturday we had a full house, me working on Angelika, Aaron on his 55, Mikey on his triumph, Steve on his shovelhead and my daughter's boyfriend brought over his truck for some assistance and we got him right to wrenching along

But I got the rearend in and the rear radius rods done, some gussets left to do and i'll be boxing the cross member when I tear down before paint

[​IMG]

Fix just perfect, dropped the rear end down and the rumble seat will fully open, I'll probably have to modify my seats a bit but that's no biggie, here's a shot with the rumble seat fully open

[​IMG]

Next order of business will be the front radius rods and then I'll be building a crossmember and boxing the rest of the frame

9. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

[​IMG]

front radius rods got bend up tonight

10. rebstew187

rebstew187

Cool car. Anymore progress?

11. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

going on vacation (that's what my wife calls it, I call it Hot Rod Time Out) so I've been trying to finish up the frame, I could have spent another month on it but at I figure it's good enough

the frame had a similar rearend set-up on it but was just some 1/2" plate welded to the frame, here's the rear corners, and cross member with m-22 and pedals mocked up
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

the cross member killed 3 two inch hole saws, ok maybe i killed 2 and the cross member 1 but the end result was 3 hole saws down, come to think of it I also killed 3 harbor freight grinders, which wasn't really a bad thing it was time for them to go

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

where the cross member angles I'll be putting a brace/drive shaft loop. the suspension parts and frame got shot in some epoxy primer, and then the frame got some glossy chassis black, and it's a roller again

[​IMG]

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice Nice Nice......after holding on to that car for so long, you really have my respect....
    Good luck on a great project...

13. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Looking good man that just may be a keeper in my eyes.....

14. Interesting fabrication, going to be good looking ride.

15. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Back from restriction, I mean vacation, so back to the garage, got the frame leveled out with all the radius rods adjusted, dropped the motor back in after painting all the hurst shifter linkage so it was time to work on the clutch linkage

[​IMG]

welded up the pedal arm and lathed an adjustable rod which worked out great, added bonus by removing the top bolt from the gearbox I can still slide the pedals off without removing the whole assembly so I was pretty happy about that.

[​IMG]

Clutch adjusted and ready to go, I'll start buttoning up the motor so I can fire it up and break it in. I've already rebuilt the motor it's a 350 destroked to 327 and built around a 65 vette motor, 461 casting double humps with double springs and roller rockers, ported and polished (saved these babies from my first model A coupe before I sold it) Flat tops with a factory 350hp cam, ram horns, and an old edelbrock 3x2 intake from the 60's should twist the m-22 rock crusher just fine on pump gas

16. =mike=

=mike=

Pretty awesome , nice to see this thing coming to life . can't wait for a ride around the block in it

17. billthx138

billthx138

Nice, only problem I see is that you have too much light encroachment and your interior will probably fade before its time. One solution....4-5 inches outa the top!!

18. Yup.......Gonna be a beauty!

19. Very nice! I like this one, except for the sbc. I'd use a Y. ;-)

20. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

ford in a ford, now that's just crazy talk!

21. I'm glad I found this build thread. I just subscribed!

22. JimSibley

JimSibley

Wow,
    jimmy, that is a nice ,lookin car. it makes me miss livin right down the street from you.

23. Killer

Killer

[​IMG]

I remember this car!

Coupe is lookin good!

24. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Thanks fellas, body back on the frame I got a bit side tracked painting my shovel to ride up to the Rumble in Ramona party.

[​IMG]

Lots to do with the body, think I'll take a few before pictures, I'll be grafting in the passenger side top to replace the missing drip rails, patch panels all around, new floors and recessed firewall, upper wood kit. I recessed the firewall 3" using the original firewall.

I am hoping to get Angelika running by end of the year, as you can see I have Guinevere (34 three window) waiting for some attention in the background...

25. =mike=

=mike=

sir buildsalot over here . . . post some new shit bro !

26. great build -i like the engine/trans combo!

27. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

here's an update, the passenger side was missing the drip rail which just wouldn't do

[​IMG]

so off it went, while it was off I replaced the top wood kit, which somehow turned into replacing the door frame lower feet...

[​IMG]

2" chop, replaced the latches, battled door alignment which may have gone on for decades, it became a blurr after awhile, but they are shutting pretty good now

body is in epoxy primer now, still have a few patch panels to do, got the hood lining up tonight and threw on the headlight bar, bench seat was from a 29 so was 2" too wide and I started cutting that down, floors are almost done

will pull body this weekend to finish up some frame plumbing and mount the steering box and run exhaust. still shooting for the Big 3 which is end of Feb...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

starting to look like a car, getting the bench in it makes sitting in it and making motor noises more comfortable....

28. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice build. A gusset in the center of the rear hairpins might be a good idea though. I've seen a few buckle before.

29. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

I've considered that, but I really hate the way that looks, if it becomes an issue I'll probably just change them out for the wishbones I am saving for the 34....

30. =mike=

=mike=

make one out of an iron cross or something cool . . .