Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "Offy" powered deuce hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone running one in a deuce roadster??? Please post pics if you got'em... T.I.A. :)

2. Deuces

Deuces

bttt........

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

There is a great looking Offy powered (270?) Model A roadster pickup that makes the LA Roadsters deal regularly. Bitch'n hot rod.

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

The A is Bob Andersons. Bitch'n for sure.

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is Bob's RPU:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  6. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Photo found at an estate sale over 20 years ago.......

Attached Files:

7. Deuces

Deuces

Very cool!! :D

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

In addition to the two cars posted here, there was another Offy powered car(a roadster as I remember) in a magazine years ago. I'm guessing it was in the late '70s or sometime during the '80s. I have never seen it elsewhere, and when I wanted to see it again I could not find the magazine. But, there either was or still is another one out there somewhere.

At one point in time the engines were obsolete and not too expensive. Increased interest in old race cars, and the rise of vintage racing, made the surviving Offy engines worth a lot of money. Interest is high enough that some of the pieces are not being reproduced, but those aren't cheap either.

Displacement of the "big block"(non-midget) engines ranged over time from around 150 CID to 270 CID. I'm not sure how they are as a street engine, but the inherent vibrations of and in-line 4 cylinder engine means even the smaller ones must generate a serious buzz at speed.

9. Scalemotorcars

Scalemotorcars

Anyone have more pics of Bob Anderson's PU? Especially motor and chassis.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  10. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I'm pretty sure it was a red '32 roadster in Hot Rod, and considering I started reading in '84 or so it must have been some time after that. Pretty sure Gray Baskerville did the article.

11. There was also an Offy powered street legal "sprint car" in Hot Rod back in the 80s. Again, can't remember any details, except the guy who built it was an older gentleman (even then) who had worked on sprints and indy cars when they ran Offys.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone else have Offy pics???

13. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

That engine couldn't look any better, the one in the rpu. That is a dream engine to own!

14. Here's the one from Sweden.

Attached Files:

15. turdytoo

turdytoo

Does an Offy powered deuce trump an Ardun? Do I hear a Novi?

16. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I'm pretty sure all the Novi stuff ended up with one guy. As hard as it would be to find a usable Offy, a Novi would be really hard to get.

17. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Wha...? Nothing trumps an ARDUN in a vintage hot rod!

18. alumslot

alumslot

19. millerawd

millerawd

Hi saw your post- am presently building a 220 offy for a rod-i can be emailed at [email protected]- be good to talk to a fellow offy lover- thanks Chuck

20. jmh

jmh

Offys are cool!! John

21. lawman

lawman

Sorry but I still love the sbc and sbfs.Tom (Tired Old Man)

22. millerawd

millerawd

Hi- I am presently building a pre 46 Miller Offy 220 engine - could send pics if anyone is interested in the internals and the problems being encountered trying to bring the old warrior back to life-

23. Offy 220

Offy 220

Pictures of our 29A Roadster on 32 frame rails that my dad and I built in the in the early '80's. I purchased the frame and running gear from Bob Bauder. He had purchased the blue full-fendered Clay Smith roadster.

The Offy engine is #111B, originally out of the Wynn's Friction Proofing Special which ran at the Speedway in 1950. We made our Flywheel/ring gear set up and was finished machined at Wilcap, Two plate McLeod Clutch mated to a 426 Hemi transmission.

Stock suspension with 4" dropped front axle, 48 brakes, 40 steering gear and Halibrand quick-change. All of this was on the Smith roadster less the QC.
    Original 29 steel body, all seams welded and reworked front cowl. Painted pearl white, my dad added the stripe later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

sweet roadster, how did the SUs work on that ?

25. Wow, do you still own the car, do you have a vid of it running so we can hear it

too cool

26. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks Gary. At first we had the Travers/Hilborn injectors converted to gasoline but it would load up at idle. We ended up machining our manifold for 4 SU carburators. I will post up pics of the manifold and linkage. We layed over the engine over about 20-25 degrees since the cylinder head/block are at an angle. Gasoline would drip out of the injector stacks.

I am going to send the SU's to Joe Curto [sp?] and he will set them up. We were thinking about using side draft Webers but since we got the SU's at a great price we ended up using them. We also converted the Joe Hunt magneto with mechanical advance to ease starting.

Offy 220

27. noboD

noboD

Offy 220, very unique roadster. How about some info on the VW next to it, doesn't look normal. PM would be good, so as not to hijack.

28. Offy 220

Offy 220

Hi Bobbed,

Yes, I still own it. These pictures were taken back in September. I will try in the next few weeks to post a video with it running. We had to put a Super Trapp on the end of the exhaust some years ago. My dad got a noise warning by the police driving around the local streets. The neighbors didn't like their car alarms going off!

I wanted to paint it traditional black but we had extra gallons of Pearl white when we restored the Watson sprint car [Bowes Seal Fast]. Eventually I am going to go through the car and improve some things on it.

Offy 220

29. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks Nobo,

Not to hijack, it's just an early 60's Ragtop Beetle that my son and I are restoring. The pan is finished and currently working on the body. I tried to hide the VW but the wheels were exposed.

Getting back to the roadster - yes, it is different. Some times I think back we should have built an AV8 instead. I have a spare 59a with a 39 Top Loader transmission that came with it when I bought the frame and running gear.

Offy 220

30. noboD

noboD

No way, it would just be another hotrod. The paint and the engine makes it!