Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goin to SoCal next week What should I see?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carmak, Oct 6, 2010.

1. carmak

carmak

My brother in-law and I are going to SoCal from Iowa next week (Oct 14-Oct 18). He is really into drag racing and I am more into Kustoms and model cars.

Other than the Peterson and Pamona museums what do we need to see?

What are the best cruise nights?

Any good hidden gems?

Thanks!!

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

2. carmak

carmak

The pomona Swap Meet is that weekend! I wonder how much stuff I can get into my carry on?

Carmak

3. carmak

carmak

We are staying near Beverly Hills / Sant Monica (I'm not sure).

My sister in-law got me the trip for my 40th birthday and she made all the reservations.

Carmak

4. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Get to Bakersfield for the Hot Rod Reunion!

Drag Racing Irwindale Raceway local bracket race on Oct 17.

Unusual? Try Justice Bros Museum for cool racing history stuff.

5. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Check out Riverside CA and tell us how it compares to Riverside IA. k? :)

6. Once they closed Riverside International Raceway there was no reason to go there. :eek: Well maybe the new RIR Museum (anybody been there?)

7. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

well this is awkward. but yes its true. not a whole lot to see over here. and the museum is not worth it, trust me.

8. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

9. el shad

el shad

Don't forget to hit a strip club or two. Just sayin'........

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hidden gem, both a hot rodding museum and a live source for parts...the old Gene Scott antique Ford parts plae on East Garvey in Rosemead, which is east LA.
    I had time for one thing on a quick run to LA, and chose it over the Petersen. An old thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256202n.

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

none of us will be around, we'll all be in Bako...120 miles north

12. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Although it's a ways away...as noted by another, for racing and real hot rod swap meet stuff, the California Hot Rod Reunion just north of Bakersfield is a VERY good outing. Friday thru Sunday. It's about 165 miles from my house, near Pomona...!
    Lately I've just gone Saturday, leave about 4am. and get home about midnight or a little later.

The Pomona Museum, next, the Peterson Museum next. If you go to the CHRR, going to Irwindale won't seem like much fun. If you don't make it up north, then Irwindale would be good to hit too.

Mike

13. Only about 120 miles from where he'll be staying.

14. nightperson

nightperson

wed night art chrisman has a get together- he is in santa ana. very nice guy- there is also a fab shop behind him where the guy does one off stuff- i think he goes by squeek or something like that. def a stop i make every time i am out there, mainly b/c my bro in law lives 10 min away.

marcels and barry's srrc is in corona- about 30-45 min drive- marcel has been slow so not sure what he will have but he will talk shop with you for hours
    hollywood hotrods
    foose(has a caddi he built with boyd there and that impala which is an amazing build, you have to go during lunch)

i have found that any shop will let you look around and most will talk if they have time.

15. nightperson

nightperson

wed night art chrisman has a get together- he is in santa ana. very nice guy- there is also a fab shop behind him where the guy does one off stuff- i think he goes by squeek or something like that. def a stop i make every time i am out there, mainly b/c my bro in law lives 10 min away.

marcels and barry's srrc is in corona- about 30-45 min drive- marcel has been slow so not sure what he will have but he will talk shop with you for hours
    hollywood hotrods
    foose(has a caddi he built with boyd there and that impala which is an amazing build, you have to go during lunch)

i have found that any shop will let you look around and most will talk if they have time.

16. carmak

carmak

We are already going to "Muscle and the Mansion" on the 16th.

17. You could always check out the Bobs Big Boy cruise night on friday night in Burbank.

18. jfrolka

jfrolka

California hot rod reunion in bakersfield is the best thing to hit up

19. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

................oct 16th all day event next to the pacific ocean, plenty of hot rods and customs

AND ITS FREE

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  20. toml24

toml24

See something FREE. The Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach CA every Saturday morning from 5:30am to 8:30am. At the corner of Magnolia and Adams. Best FREE car show on the West coast. It is worth the early rise and drive. Hundreds of vintage cars and trucks.

21. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

FOOSE DESIGN in Huntington Beach any day of the week, but you have to be there from noon, to 1:00 p.m. Some one will give a walk around tour, for a few minutes, then you're free to browse, and chat with any employee that isn't takin' lunch at the burger place next door. Even if Chips not there, like in my case, the place will leave a BIG deposit in the memory bank. Don't leave with out going ALL the way down to the end of the cul de sac to see Lanzini Body Works. All the people at both places were real friendly and open to chat with. Plus you can go down to the beach and play in the Pacific.
    Also see MOONEYES in Sante Fe. It's an historical landmark I believe, probably because that's where Carrol Shelby built his prototype Cobra. The store is like walking into their catalog. Dean Moons kid still works there, and is an easy going guy, that will show you around the shop, tell you some history about the place, and the different race cars sitting around, and if he's got the time, he may show you how they make their MOON discs. Have a great trip, sounds like Pomona is a must see.

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

hit the wed night cruise at the broiler on weds night in downey 5pm to 10... or on sat night thees usally a few guys....

23. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Foods good as well ..............:):)

[​IMG]

24. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Hit the Pomona Swapmeet then the NHRA Museum afterwards. They are at the same location.