Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Hot Rod" Show - The Lost Kodachromes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Ryan & Spooky - Very cool find! ... thanks for sharing.

The show was definitely held at the New York Coliseum ...

Checkout Robert (RABs32) Berkowitz' Rod & Custom Car Show, NYC,

11/67: 1967.jpg , 11/68: 1968.jpg , 11/69: 1969.jpg , & 11/70: 1970.jpg flickr photostreams ... and note the concrete columns & the overhead lighting in the NY Coliseum.

So, with "OCT 62" stamped on the cardboard slide mounts, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that these Kodachrome slides were taken at the "1962 Rod & Custom Car Show" held @ the New York Coliseum in NYC.

EDIT: I see Deuce3wCpe beat me to it! ... I guess I need to learn to type faster! :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. Spooky

Spooky

FANTASTIC!!
    When I first found these, the first slide I viewed was the Jade Idol.
    Glad that everyone digs these.
    Where else better to share these than right here.

3. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

hey Hemi I had an unfair advantage since I live here :) thanks for RABs Flikr page link though, those photos sure bring back memories.....I remember as a kid seeing the huge billboards at the Elizabeth, NJ train station advertising these shows...they always used the Batmobile as the big draw. All you had to do is take the train, walk a few blocks... and you were there.

4. Mercchev

Mercchev

Koolest post here in a while! Thanks for sharing these.

5. T-Roy

T-Roy

Awesome! Thank you Spooky and Ryan for sharing with us all. Dig that chopped '40 Ford truck and the KooL lighted color wheels on the floor of the boat display... KooL chit!

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

1962 Rod & Custom Car Show... how about that?

7. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Wow! Stanley Mouse too.
    He did Hot Rod art and later did a lot of the art work for psychedelic posters like the Filmore.

8. Looks like some random photos,not professional,cause most of the cars aren't centered or even the complete car. Talk about a great find! That one car seems hidden behind 40+ trophies,hahaha! Not a lot of back drops either...

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I don't know whats cooler, the cars, the pics themselves, or you guys CSI-ing the event to nail it down!
    Damn cool find Ryan, thanks for sharing!

10. aceuh

aceuh

Nothing I can say about this that hasn't already been said....So...Cool! and Thanks!

11. GRADY

GRADY

LOVE love these pics
    really dig the poncho with the eight lugs and custom paint
    wow!
    thanks for sharing

12. catdad49

catdad49

I would say that these pics. were of an east coast show, possibly the Nassau Colesium? All but maybe one car I recognize from features in the eastern little books that I still have. I really dig the Kassa Coupe in blue! Thanks for the great post and I often wonder how many of these machines await discovery by the next generation.

13. eddie1

eddie1

Awesome find! Thanks for sharing with us.

14. 8dearborns

8dearborns

Are you ready. I was there. It's the new york auto show held in the basement of the then new convention center right on central park between 5th ave and 8th ave west of the plaza hotel. It's around 1960. That chopped 57 olds with the blower was my partners, the late russ grady. We took the stroker crank out of the olds and built our top fuel dragster around it. Herb gary did the chop. That's herb's 49 brown plymouth called the "tahitian". And yes that's andy kassa's coupe in blue before he took it out to barris and ruined it.

15. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

OK all you Ed Roth Historians. Ive read that Mouse has always claimed that Roth stole his Freddy Flypogger character at a car show and went back to California and created Rat Fink. If this show was in 62 , When did rat Fink first appear? Hmmmm.....?

16. Paul (8dearborns) - Could it have been 1962? ... Ryan mentioned in his Blog that the slides were stamped "Oct. 62" (i.e., the cardboard slide mounts were stamped with the month & year that Kodak processed the film) ... I have a hard time believing that this roll of 35mm Kodachrome film sat unprocessed for two years ... but stranger things have happened.

17. No doubt it is The Kassa coupe,,, I will pull the photo albums tonight ant try to confirm date and place,,,I think I have that shot in black and white

18. 8dearborns

8dearborns

You're right. It is 1962. I forgot, We took the Olds in black paint to the NHRA Nationals in 1960 at Detroit Dragway with the car show downtown. We got second place to Karl Casper's full radical 51 (I think) Chevy). We decided the car had to be a lot more radical to win. Then Gary did the wild paint job and we cut the roof out and installed the plastic insert. We won the Hartford Autorama and then got invited to the New York Colesium show.

19. Just checked the book ,,,, 62 Kassa's coupe with the older interior...
    bucket seats and all white interior was installed I believe between NYC and St. Louis or was it Chicago?..... I should of wrote all that stuff down,,,( what a dope)

check out the ceiling lights in NYC Coliseum..

20. I always liked Andy's car in blue. I remember seeing it at his gas station in late 1961 or early 1962 in that color.
    Drivin' Deuces "Sierra Pickup" shown in the slides is rumored to be still in hiding.
    Donnie Blake would probably know all of the cars shown. Maybe even the boat....ha.
    I'll have to see if I can get him to get on the HAMB

21. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

nice stuff Ryan

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

[​IMG]

Dont know the year this was taken, but to my tired eyes the wheels look different. Slim

23. later on ,,,new Astros and Custom Corner interior... right before the trip cross country to the left coast and Barris's

24. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The grey rectangular part of that box looks to be the standard multi-circuit electrical outlet box that was used to supply power to all of the cars in that row.

My guess is that the smaller box that looks like a tape recorder is probably just that, maybe playing info about the car. It was set up on top of the electrical box because that's where the power was.

25. sololobo

sololobo

What a blast from the past. Thanx for showing off the good old days. ~Sololobo~

26. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Ha...Hey Bob I forgot you had the "Blue" version of the Kassa as your avatar! .You forgot to tell the part of the story where Kassa came running out of the station and told you and your friends to "get the hell away from that car"...lol.
    Looks like he added some white naugahyde trim around the firewall and cowl but that was a common show trick back then..that car really did look good in that color. People wonder why he kept changing it but you had to in order to stay competitive. Kassa was the "King of the Ring" in his day.....

Oh man, the HAMB can be great without the drama stuff...nice job Spooky & Ryan.

27. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

..nice shot Slim...man there it almost looks like the cowl and grill shell are trimmed in stainless or chrome? That guy never left that car alone. And (correct me if I'm wrong Ron or Bob) that matching custom T-Bird was his tow vehicle for the 3-window (you can see the chrome trailer hitch on it). That guy really worked at it.

28. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Ok, now I can sleep tonite...but I still want one. I gotta get off this thread I'm addicted to it.

29. Cool!

Another reason I thought it had to be 1962 is that I don't believe Leroy Kemmerer was trying to sell his "Jade Idol" in 1960:

Jade Idol - For Sale.jpg
    click thumbnail to enlarge

30. gearwood

gearwood

Looks like this bad boy might have a Man-a-fre 4x2 intake?

[​IMG]