Register now to get rid of these ads!

total newbie electrical question...6v to 12v

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pshycobilly, May 25, 2010.

1. pshycobilly

pshycobilly
    from Louisiana

Ok so i'm gutting the '54 customline and obviously the wiring is trash so naturally i'm running all new wire everywhere. this is the first 6v system i have ever rewired and i am looking for pros and cons of 12v vs 6v. and if i switch to 12v other than the starter and generator (which will need to be swapped for an alternator i assume) what else do i have to completly swap or hook 12v to 6v reducers to. You should know i plan to use more modern 7 1/2'' reflectors with replaceable bulbs for headlights for safety and LED tail light bulbs, so those will be 12v compatible. Thanks for your patients i hate to ask what seems to be such a bonehead question but i really don't wanna foul up any of the original stuff because I was to proud to ask the question.

2. 54 savoy

54 savoy

3. carkiller

carkiller

The obveious bulbs, Coil, condenser, gas gauge. Seems theres a breaker back side off dash, blower motor. wont need your high amp bat cables. Im sure im forgetting some others

4. pshycobilly

pshycobilly
    from Louisiana

dude 54 savoy thanks that link was very helpful. Your the man bro hope i can repay the favor to yourself or someone else.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I believe Fords were still positive ground till 1956?? That will have to be addressed......

6. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

You don't have to switch to an alternator unless you want to. You can get a complete 12 volt generator or if you can find a case with the 12 volt fields you could reuse your armature and end housings and original pulley.

7. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

My first car in 1968 was a 51 Merc 50's hot rod W/ a 390 caddy etc. The builder did a slick thing in using a probe to find the 6v point between the terminals and tapping a hole in the battery for a stud. Everything but the starter & charging system ran off that lug (5/16-18 as I recall).

That was with the old style battery cases which were more pliable than what may be current and I also do not know the proximity of the plates to the top cover on the newer batteries. It would be worth a shot to experiment on a battery to find out if it is still a legit thing. The rodders from the 50's were very creative WWII people and could really be innovative....

8. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Yep, you won't need as thick a wire all 'round; if you double the voltage, then you half the current.

9. 19customline54

19customline54

just changed over to 12v in my 54. best thing I ever did. you need new batery, bulbs, coil, solenoid, regulator. take you generator to an electric motor shop, and have em test it. my original generator ran 12v as is, so there was no need to change it. but if need be, the armiture can be rebuilt in your generator for much less than the cost of an alternator. you can keep your original starter as they are over built, and the 12 volts turns it into the incredible hulk. reverse the connections on your batery(to negative ground) and your coil. as for the dash lights, just turn em down. I havent lost mine yet and Ive been driveing that way for months. I hope I havent missed anything. if I have please correct me. like i said. I did it months ago with the help of an Ol' skool Rods mag that had the tech article in it, so it's a bit foggy. but i think that's about it. oh yeah, once you change 2 12 volt, your horn becomes louder that shit... it's furkn great. good luck bro.

10. cherokee_64

cherokee_64

11. Yanksta

Yanksta

quick question the number 1 wire on the delco alternator they say goes to a warning light. I have a 1952 chevy sedan and i dont believe i have light does this get wired to the starter switch or ignition switch?

12. StreetRodElectrics.com

StreetRodElectrics.com

13. change all the bulbs, the coil, the battery, generator field coils, regulator, [or install alternator ] reduce voltage to fuel or any other electric gage except amp [it doesn't need to]and heater motor. electric wipers? should be changed to 12v, starter solenoid 12v, horn relay 12v,