Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cloning the "Pioneering Plymouth" ...a Barris Kustom 1953 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Sep 25, 2010.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The Car Craft article said the Carson Top Shop in L A did the interior. Sorry I`m not computer smart.

2. Well there you go. He said he was pretty sure, but could be wrong. I mean it was almost 60 years ago.

Ill check it out.

3. Interesting question....So I have pictures of some of the interior and even the headliner, but nothing of the rear. Now I know the seat was most likely exactly done like the front seat, but the side panels...Im guessing had a design unlike the front door panels. Do I wing it? As far as I know there are no photos of the back seat area. This is a dilema I have come to and am unsure about.

4. I just saw this...looks like cruiser skirts.

5. quadcamiron

quadcamiron

Man! So excited to watch this build! Glad you decided to get as close as you can with cloning. These Pymouths are some of my favorite cars out there and I love seeing them turned into cool customs. Good luck!

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Good to talk to you this morning. I hope we can be of some help!! See you tomorrow possibly!

7. missysdad1

missysdad1

Sorry I missed you this weekend, xxwelderxx. Had a Pertronix failure on the way to cruise night friday night...in rush hour traffic...had to get towed home. So left the crippled Buick at home Saturday and drove my old El Camino.

I'm sure we'll run across each other somewhere. Lots of hot rod stuff going on in the MetroPlex and my Buick is pretty high profile...you can't miss it.

:)

8. carnut341

carnut341

I have loved this car ever since I saw the picture for the first time, about thirty years ago. I would love to see a clone of this car. But, if you build it. Build it the way you want it! My 53 Ford is built exactly like it would have been in 1955 except for the seats and stereo and I can cruise every where I want with the original six and three speed trans. But the main thing for you is to build it the way you want it and by all means, DRIVE IT!!!!!!!

9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

xxwelderxx, so what route did you decide to go with your front suspension ? I saw your other thread but never heard what you decided. Cool build, Im sure you wont have any problem finding local help.

10. Keith English

Keith English

pretty sure I got that 53 trim your needing, sent you a PM. your needing the spears and the two top and botton strips.

11. Pete, right back at ya. Sorry I didn't hit Goodguys today. Bought my nephew a bicycle and we were out riding it all day. Ill give you a call this week and get directions to the shop.

MD...no worries. Ended up taking my nephew to the drag races in Temple on Saturday. His first drag race ever. The kid was smiling ear to ear all day.

The way I am building it is the way it was built in 1954. Exactly, nut for nut and bolt for bolt. And yes I will drive it.

Im going with the original suspension. Cutting the springs up front and de arching the leafs in the back. I have done some measurements and it seems the the real is no lowered 6"....might be 4"-4.5".

12. -A-

-A-
    from Finland

Here's Feb 1958 Car Craft

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. The information in that Car Craft issue on the Plymouth is interesting. It also gave some info I didn't know about. Such as the 54 Plymouth rear bumper and the Green Mohair/Lime Naugahyde interior. The chop did get lower in this article though. Original info states a 3-1/2" & 5" chop....this one says 4" & 6".

The grill is really throwing me off. The first article written on the car says a 53 Ford center bar was used, but to be honest with ya it really looks like a 53 Plymouth center bar lengthened with a 53 Plym chrome accent in the center.

Anyone want to chime in?

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I can't freakin wait to get my hands on his car!!!!! So glad you came out to the shop today.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

16. meeting up with XXWELDERXX tomatoe after a few mail/phone greetings - told him I'd take him to one of my favorite fishing holes for some car part shopping...er fishing...one day soon - after the snakes/spiders go into winter hiding...welcome to Texas!

oh and it's going to be a great build....we know it....

17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

You must share your secret stash!!! I promise I won't tell!!! Hahaha

18. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

isn't the top V the upper part of a 51 ford? as to the bar with teeth i'll go along w/ it being the upper bar of pickup, can't recall in my mind. super project best of luck and keep us posted.

19. The upper bar is 1949 Ford and the teeth are 1953 Ford Pickup

20. missysdad1

missysdad1

Sorry, wrong. The upper bar is not from a '49 Ford, even though the article says it is. Please see my previous post about depending upon magazine articles for accurate information.

As Larry Woods says, it's from a '51. Don't know about the other stuff, though.

:)

21. i see what you are saying about the 51 Ford upper bar, but if you look at the 49 bar and cut the round part out of the center and weld the two parts together. Because if you notice these are fit into the opening of the grill cavity and are a lot smaller then the opening of the ford in 49 or 51 for that matter.

**just my observation....i could be wrong, but this the conclusion i came up with. ****

22. Just noticed this today.....circled in red....does that look like a pull to open the door? or is it a hair on the slide? I really think its how they opened the door.

Attached Files:

23. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I totally think you are right. I think it's a flaw in the negative. Buttons under the dash is the route I would go.

24. I would have to agree. I can't see putting detail into the car and then using pull wire to open the door. Doesn't make sense.

25. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I can't get this build out of my head! When are you going to get to posting pics of the car and progress??? Come on Mikey!!! Let's see some pics of the raw material!!

26. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

x2... I need ideas for my Desoto.

Side note, i was underneath mine today. If your 53 Plymouth is anything like my 53 Desoto you've got alot of good material to work with. I noticed the rear frame kicks up quite nicely, it shouldnt need much(if any) frame work to get that ass end to come way down. My 'soto has coil over shocks in the rear, does yours have those to?

27. Ok....Ill post more pictures up tomorrow, but here are some photos of what I am working with.

Attached Files:

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Six pages and we're finally seeing what we're working with. Can't wait to see it come together. I normally do not like oddball customs and Hot Rods but when I seen this car in the Rod & Custom 50th book I was pretty blown away. It transcends auto maker.

29. missysdad1

missysdad1

Nice starting place! And...it looks to me as if the front end is just about where it needs to be already! Maybe an inch or so more, but that's all it will take to get the real car to match the photo, eh?

30. Yeah...I dont think it will take much to lower the car. I think maybe a 1-2" drop in the front will be fine. And the rear I can just use blocks.