Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winterport Maine Nostalgia Drag pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy54, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Here's some shots of last weekends nostalgia drags in Winterport Maine. I believe its the longest running drag strip in New England, Early to mid 60s thru today and is still opperating! Im loading all the shots that came out well as I broke the screen on my camera on the way up and shot blind pics all day:( so alot of the off the line shots were to far off but some nice looking and going cars...anyways, hope you all enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

It was a great weekend for the fina 1/8 milel drags of the year too...cool crisp temps, good people, cold beer and bad ass cars...they even touched off the King n Marshel nitro car at the end of the day!!

Attached Files:

3. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

King n Marshel nitro dragster

Attached Files:

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

I was not familiar with this track.Is it 1/8 mile?Nice pics,looks like a good show.

5. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

more cars

Attached Files:

6. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Yes 1/8 mile...its never stopped running but starting to really come alive again with a great group of guys running it and alot of drivers!

7. disorderlysaint

disorderlysaint

Good to see a cool event in my home state. Thanks for the pics!

8. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

red mopar was the fastest car i saw all day in the mid-high 5s @ mid 130s

Attached Files:

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

34 Chevy coupe went really well too..ran about 6 and low to mid 120s...blue dragster had a mean 500 cube Caddi motor, and twin brothers:eek:

Attached Files:

10. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

more cars..almost all that came out well

Attached Files:

11. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

That all of my pics worth posting...now time fro winter n snow..wait to dig out in the spring!:D

Attached Files:

12. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

WOW! that willys is awesome looking! what's the story on it? How fast is it?

13. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hah, yes it was very awesome...but the story is funny and lame too! The guy pulls it around in his trailer to all the drags...rolls it out of the inclosed trailer then lets it sit there all day while everyone asks him to run it. I heard he was building a replica to actually run! Doubt it! Sorry I could not give you some bitchin info and stats on it but thats how some people do it:confused:...

14. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Thats great! Winterport is one of those out of the way place that time just never caught up with. I raced there in the 60s-70s-80s and then went back with the coupe 3 yrs ago for the August nostalgia event... While unload the car I stood on the trailer and closed my eyes for a sec... Opened and looked around... It was 1967 all over again! Awesome place.....
    Pontiac Slim

15. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I Love Winterport I'll put up some of my pic's later

16. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I believe it...the place is def a blast from the past..nothing fancy there, just a cool ol' 1/8 mile dragstrip! There holding more events every year now too! Great to see its never been closed!

17. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Isn't that Hill & Zartman replica owned by a HAMBer?

18. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry that you think the story on our car is lame. It is an all original steel car that was a C gas racer out of Canada. The reason that it was sitting outside of the trailer most of the day was because we got shut down early in the day by race officials. They didn't like the test and tune that we were doing in a remote area of the track. We had seen others doing it and thought it would be okay. We have been on tour with the S&S Race Team for the last 6 years and the car is on display with the rest of the team. It was taken down the track at Manasses Virginia and did very well. We had planned to run it at Winterport but they told us to shut it down so we did. The car is way to valuable to run all the time. The first time that it slapped the wall or something happened to it it would kill us. Plus as we said the car is all original. We are in the process of building a race car now. Of course it's a willys.

19. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thats good to hear..but the buzz around the track that day was your car and how bitchin it was...everyone wanted to see it run and the "story" was it never gets run! So much for the rumorville being correct...appoligy due to to misinformed ears! Everyone wanted to see it run... we were all day too, Bummer on the shutdown

20. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

u

Well said and I agree with you 100%! Reminds me of the old saying...
    "some people say but don't know while others know but don't say"
    Pontiac Slim

21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you chevy 54 and pontiac slim. We have alot of love in that car and definetly don't want anything to happen to it. The highlight of building that car was getting to know Pork Zartman and the S&S Race Team. Pork got to drive it down the track at Indy on the 45th anniversary of him winning the 1964 nationals with the original filthy forty. The car to us is just irreplaceable. Anyway who says they all have to go down the track:D We watch others but think what if that thing goes over. It isn't like you can find original parts in good shape everyday. Well i've hijacked this thread enough.

22. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Is this the track in back of Oxford Plains, or does Maine have two tracks? Hey, how's the Mystery Willys?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  23. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

I remember talking with you briefly that day about your Willies. I thought you had said something about the car not hooking well at all on a decent track and figured Winterport would be worse. Winterport is definately worse lol, which is probably why everyone seems to be running 31x14 slicks. That was definately an awesome day though, great show.

24. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

25. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Mystery Willys is still in the same shape it was when it came home. We had a buyer for it (another hamber) but it never went through. Right now it's tucked away. We are working on a deal to purchase a steel 33 willys. We may start working on the Mystery Willys soon. Thanks for your interest.

26. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

We have 2 tracks here is Maine and they are both 1/8th mile. Oxford is an IHRA sanctioned track and Winterport is an outlaw track.

27. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

28. Looks like a fun event!

29. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

No, Track is about 1hr n half north of Portland in a remote area...kinda like Oxford:D

Hey ME Gasser..no hard feeling man, The car is awesome, prob one of the coolest at the track...thats why its in the few pics I loaded up. Everyone thought so and many disappointed that it didnt run so I gues the BS started flowin...I gues I fell into that group.:( You guys need that same car ready to drag as it def causes a stir! Nice work and a cool bit of history..I dont blame ya!

30. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I was mistaken about the third sorry