Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost and found: Ardun V8 60

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Uncle Bob, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Yeah, I forgot about the skeleton until you mentioned it. He had lots of cool artifacts and sculptures as I recall. I was trying to recall the custom Merc. he had in there, but couldn't. I know I posted on that before, but couldn't remember who built it. Maybe Valley Custom? Silver with a flathead and maybe Eddie Meyer intake? Not sure, but it was a really nice car. I wonder if you saw that one too?

2. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Great post. I had heard about the MG several times but just rumors. Nice to see it and get the facts.

3. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

They'll probably show up in New Zealand one day

4. Yeah, that car wasn't in the collection when I was there originally. Tony was telling me about it the other day, but since it wasn't in the current collection I kind of spaced on it. He said something about removeable roof panels. He mentioned the shop, don't think it was Valley, but CRS has gotten the better of me. I'll give him a call and see if I can get more detail about the where-abouts.

5. Furbiscuit.....are you reading this? You prolly already knew of this huh?

6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great post! Thanks.

7. sodbuster....what's up dude...ain't seen your name pop up for a while, but i'm not around much- how goes it?
    HIJACKED THREAD sorry....

8. deucemac

deucemac

Took these shots at Brizio's the day they all left to the Deuce run in Canada. I believe this is the Mumford V860 Ardun you are talking about

Attached Files:

9. Yep those are the set of Ardun V-8 60 heads I was talking about, but I was told by another H.A.M.B.er that they came from another collection, and they are not the same set of Ardun V-8 60 heads in the box that the former owner of the MG had. Thanks for sharing the photos.

10. They came from me :D

11. BADBIRDCAGE

BADBIRDCAGE
    from Virginia

Arduns anyone?

Attached Files:

12. seatex

seatex

Wow! Fantastic stuff! I remember seeing a pair at the Pomona Swap meet years ago, pretty pricey then, I can't imagine their value now.
    I guess cool factor x 10 = $$$$:eek:

13. While Zora may have had a role in the development of those engines while at GM, they aren't ARDUNs. ;) Still cool engines, though.

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Anyone notice this car is a left hand drive?

My recollection is that all MG-TC models were originally right hand drive.

Not a problem, just an observation

15. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

Growing up -- We will put the time about 1970 -- a close friend and his dad were into MG's -- and they would pick up any and all MG's in the San Bernardino/ Riverside area that they found -- at one time they had 2-3 TC's, 10+ TD's and a couple of TF's -- But one day I was with them when they picked up a TD with a flathead installed in it (they got it for $50) -- It was nicely done but they couldn't understand why someone would go to all the trouble of installing a flat head rated at 60 HP from a stock MG engine rated at 56 HP.

Now 40 years later had we only known LOL. Unfortunately, both the Dad and all the MG's are gone.

16. I was wondering where they ended up.

They didn't come out of a collection, they came out of a rather messy closet :D They belonged to a good friend of my father.

[​IMG]

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There was a set of those ARDUN 60HP heads mounted on an engine hanging on a KRW engine stand in the showroom of Specialized Auto Parts in Houston TX for many years during the 70s-80s, also a pallet with 2 ARDUN converted engines and a set or two of loose heads and parts. AND the Moller-Adams OHV flathead engine, and all the casting patterns and machining jigs for the heads, from the City of Burbank Bonneville car.

All scattered across the country for many years now, of course.

18. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Love the history of all this. Great thread. The cars are incredible. I had a small block Chev in a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 and it was a thrill to drive but no where near built to the professionalism of this group of racers.

I wonder if Shelby had anything to do with the AC originally. Thanks for sharing.

19. surfgeezer

surfgeezer

I worked with a MG restoration shop in San Jose in the early 80's that stored and worked on one of Pat's other cars. The TC was quite a hit at the Monterey Historic Races but took a lot of flack from the purists because it had race history as a stock TC with a flathead V8 60 and was pretty much turned into a street rod (four bar/Ford front end, Ford trans,etc). They had trans trouble all race weekend, but when it was running it was the wildest thing on the track. A very cool car.

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

And here I thought all the V8-60 ARDUN engines came from Simcas. I love the HAMB.

-Dave

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

old thread but, still Cool