Register now to get rid of these ads!

*MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well, Finally got the T sitting on it's own 4 wheels and was able to roll her out of the garage for the first time! Hopefully will get the drive shaft, Torque tube and radius rods cut down and installed this weekend.

Attached Files:

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

Time for another update!

Got the wood body started and should have it all assembled and ready for sealer in a week or so. Fenders and hood are next so we can get them all worked and in color at the same time.

Also got the front fender irons/headlight fork assemblies made up too....are the headlights big enough? :D

Here are some pics from yesterday.

Attached Files:

3. 117harv

117harv

Why did you change the T grille to the Buick? I'm a T guy but that grille looks good on there.

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

The shell is actually from a '26 Durrant/Star. I had originally picked up this shell for my roadster (the car it was originally intended to be used on), but the lines of '26 T tall radiator and hood got the better of me.

When this car came into being, I wanted to do something a little different...not so "T" this time and had been wanting to put the Durrant shell to use for quite awhile, so the match up was perfect!

It has a very nice "Packard-esque" look to it and really gives the car a unique....especially with the 1917-20 Packard headlights.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I am really digging this thread. Not only building a unique car but building it in a very unselfish manner just to see someone that means a lot to you get some enjoyment by being able to overcome a handicap. Bless the both of you for your efforts and I'm sure Bill will be mighty grateful.

Frank

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you Frank,

This is important to both of us. He is Chris's father and my mentor and "adapted father" if you will....but he is an inspiration to both of us and many more. Antique cars have been his life for over 50 years and it was hard on us all that he can no longer enjoy his "toys" anymore..especially after all the miles he has put on them with his family and good memories.

This summer was the first time in 3 years I have seen him excited about the show/driving season, but could not get behind the wheel. He commented to me at cruise-in breakfast this year "I really wish I had a T that I could drive"....so I took the Idea to Chris and the rest you see here.

I hope that he does enjoy it (I know he will :D) and gets plenty of miles out of it.

7. Looks great Clayton- I bet Bill's eyes get twice as big as those headlights when he sees his new T!!!

8. lorodz

lorodz

sweet colors ...

9. I missed this thread when it was started, thanks for the updates. This is so inspiring, to see you guys "returning the respect" to such a great guy.
    As someone who suffers from clinical depression, I can tell you, having people show such support is an incredible boost. Keep up the great work.:D

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

I dig all the pinstriping!!! Looks great on that green!!

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

Chris and I hope so!

We really wanted to give him something that he can enjoy like he used to and get his love for the hobby back.

12. GARY?

GARY?

gOOglee mOOglee, them headlites are big!! :eek: They look the part. I love 'em.
    I'm not a big speedster fan typically. This one is looking pretty sweet.

Really a great project for all the reasons mentioned by the other posts.

13. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Clayton,

It just so inspiring to see someone give time and love to help a someone that has been ravaged by depression, I know what it does to the people around them. What you are doing something really special and I am so moved.
    I love the concept, the colors and everything about this project and look forward to the surprise pics of your friend and mentor Bill.

Lou

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

Lou, thank you so kindly!

Chris and I know that he really could use something like this. Out of the family collection, he only has one car he can still drive...a 1909 Brush Runabout. He drives it as much as he can, but it's max speed is 20 mph so it is very limited as far as what he can do with it. With this T he will once again have a car that he can get in, drive comfortably and take anywhere...and keep up with traffic.

I just hope I we can get this thing done by Christmas.

15. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks! It was one of my first attempts at it..think it turned out pretty good. The pattern on the spokes came from a Steam Locomotive I saw in the Sacramento Rail Museum a few months back and added a bit to it.

I didn't know how this color combo was gonna turn out, but I think is a great color combo. The reason behind it is this is the color scheme Bill has been planning to use on his 1913 White 30 touring for 35 years. He actually got a quart of the correct "Pope-Hartford" green from Bill Harrah while working for him. Chris matched the original green...but made it a metallic for this car :D. Metallic "appliance green" with orange pin striping...wow!

These were also originally purchased and intended for my T roadster, but just didn't work out. The are 1917-20 Packard Truck and were originally all nickle plated. One of the drums was damaged, so we painted them green (and will also be striped in orange) and I removed the nickle from the bezels and polished them as they are stamped brass. Should look really hot when assembled.

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

It is with great sadness that I tell you all who have watched this thread and offered such great comments and support, that our mentor and reason behind this project is fighting for his life at this hour at our local ICU unit.

This morning Bill suffered a choking accident at a church breakfest and, as a result, lost consciousness and both his breathing and his heart stopped. The EMT's were quick to the scene and were able to get his heart and breathing started once again...making him safe for transport to the ER...he did not however, regain consciousness. He is now breathing strongly on his own, but is still in a coma. He has been placed into a medically induced coma for a "cooling and re-warming" procedure designed to pull him back to consciousness, but it will be a waiting game for the next 72 hours at least. They estimate his brain was without oxygen for approx. 6 min and are not sure at this time about the possibility of brain damage suffered.

I still plan to work diligently on his T as we intended and pray that he makes a speedy recovery.

This is a very hard time for his wife Karen and children Chris and Susan and all of who love Bill with all our hearts.., so please.....check back for more updates and keep Bill and his family in your prayers..

MrModelT :(

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  17. MrModelT

MrModelT

...just a bump

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

In my thoughts...

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you my friend...

20. GARY?

GARY?

Oh man. This is not the update I was looking for. Come on Bill, there are a lot of guys rooting for you.

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

...This wasn't the kind of update I wanted to post. Thank you to all the great support and keep those thoughts, prayers and support comin'!

22. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Our family will have Bill and his family in our thoughts and prayers. Hope his coma is short and he returns to his family ASAP.

23. Very sorry to read this. Bill, as well as you and the family, are in my thoughts, for a good recovery.

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

Dave, Thank you my friend. The Becker family is truly blessed to have some friends in so many places who care for them.

We all hope Bill makes a swift and complete recovery as well.

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you Bowtie, Bill is a dear friend and though I am not blood...they have welcomed me into their family to become part of it and I see both Bill and Karen and my "second parents" and his son Chris as the older brother I never had.

Bill means as much to me as he does to Chris and the rest of the family.

26. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Prayers up for Bill and family.

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you Rusty.

28. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Please keep us informed on how Bill is doing.

29. Hello there;
    There is really nothing I can say at this time, I really feel your pain. I would like to let everyone here know that I got to meet Bill, Chris, and Clayton this year, and let me tell you they are truly first class people all the way. I feel very fortunate that I have been able to get to know them. I wish there was something I could do to help.

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

I will as the week progresses. I spoke with Karen (Bill's wife..and my second mom) this evening and said he was looking much better than yesterday. His color has returned and he is currently breathing on his own (out-pacing the ventilator) and his vitals are all normal...a VERY GOOD sign. They will begin the warming procedure tomorrow, but it may be another 24 to 72 hours before we see any change from the present status.

Fred,
    Your thoughts and prayers for Bill and the Becker family are more than we could ask for, it is very comforting to the family to know that they are blessed with such great friends all over this globe who care and pray for Bill to make a speedy and complete recovery.

* I will be able to add a happy update to this post tonight.....the body on the T is assembled and ready for sealer! Next.....Fenders. I will post pics as soon as I have them*