Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Collin Casey Cup--Fastest Flatty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Jefe, Sep 29, 2010.

1. For those of you who were wondering why the fire was coming from the front and rear of one head.....

I just unloaded everything, got the FED back up on horses and pulled the blower and heads.....Heads are "toasted".....cracked from side to side and the other end was blown thru past the head bolt which resulted in a temporary fire and throwing stuff in my face(funny how things go thru your head at the moment.....I was saying to my self that "I sure am glad that I bought this fire suit".....hahaha, weird:eek:).....BUT the pistons and block are good.....Whoooo Hooooo:D.

I'll dig out some more heads out of my pile and prep them....shoot fire did a 14 second pass the second time coasting thru.....this is gonna be a fun ride(it sure is a different feeling from the coupe)! the first pass was a shake down run and "these things are cool"...for those of you on the fence "wanting to put one together:rolleyes:".....do it, ya sure don't have to blow a lot of money on it.....I sure as heck didn't, just gather up a bunch of stuff from your friends:cool: and make it all fit together.....

2. BLAKE

BLAKE

I need better friends... :D

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I saw that.

4. I'll help you out.....:D

5. BLAKE

BLAKE

SKOTZ - exactly the response I was fishing for...!!! :D :D

6. saltracer

saltracer

A well deserved congrads to Skot! from your Louisiana flathead buddies.

7. kisam

kisam

Congrats Skotz! So happy for you and proud! You worked your ass off! My only regret, was that Ty and I didn't get to see you recieve the trophy!

8. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Allright Skot time to dust off the trophy and shine it up and bring it back out to the drags at the end of the month. Will your name go on it again? or will there be a new honoree for this year? All you flathead guys, get em tuned up. I am still trying to get my head wrapped around the rules on this. Trying to decide if it is just the lowest E/T on Saturday that gets their name on the trophy or if it should be the winner of the flathead class( since in the spirit of Casey you would have to make many runs and make it thru the eliminations and win the whole thing as opposed to making one stellar pass or breaking something midway thru the day and not being able to make it thru eliminations). I need some help here. Skot since you were the inaugural winner of this fine piece of hardware what do you think? Fastest E/T all day or winner of the flathead class( which I guess we would have to let all flatheads run in if it is for the trophy). Am I complicating things too much.

9. Well Mister "Complicated"(aka: Steve)

I might not be the proper one to ask as I seem to be a bit prejudiced when it gets around to Flatheads.

I used to mess with those "antiquated side valve thingies", and put them down for a good many years....then I drug out the 3w, build it up, kinda traditional styled, put a Flathead that I had built and run in the Orange 32 about 40 years ago, that ran fairly well....for a Flathead. Well, "fairly well" sounds medocre to me....and as you have gotten to know me, that's not going to go over well for very long.....sooooo, I had this 'ol Adams Racing 296 that was also sitting in the same shed for the same time period, drug it out and let Jim Cook freshen it up and then....put one of those "Blower thingies" on top of it!!!......Whooo Hooooo. Now after a period of twisting a set of axles and traction bars, along with blowing up two(2) quick changes:eek:.....I was able to have the "Fastest Flathead" at DOTD...all the while, being able to drive it on the street when I wanted......sooooo, back to that thing that drives me....sometimes known as a Sickness called FLATHEAD FEVER:cool:....

Teri and I are coming back from the DOTD with "The Fastest Flathead", and I tell her that I want to make one that goes....you got it.....Faster!!!....remember the "sickness" statement above:rolleyes:. I now had an "excuse" to build a Front Engine Dragster...Flathead Powered....hahaha!!! And as you followed along with my bs emailings, I was able to put together a Rail job in about 10 months(and not much sleep). I first ran it at.....Day of the Drags....and it was "the Fastest Flathead:D"(even though I blew the heads and had fire coming out:eek:, on the second pass). So, as in the Coupe saga, it took a few parts, work and bleeding to get it dialed in....to the point that I am now running Nitro in it!!!! ......HAHAHA....it's a sickness, I tell you!!. I just changed the gearing in it so it will run the full 1/4 mile....and "go Faster".

So, now that I have "complicated" my answer to you.....I think it reads "Fastest Flathead".....so in my sick mind, I say the "Fastest Time set by a Flathead".....or you could always change it to "Top Flathead Eliminator", and go that route(because Casey, "Mister Bracket Racer", bless his soul, would run that way.....HOLD IT, DOTD is a "heads up" race....he didn't like those:rolleyes:, with his basically stock Flathead....so now it's really complicated.....HAHAHA).

And for my next chapter of FLATHEAD FEVER....as you know, but the HAMB doesn't....I have been thrashing for the past 3 months changing gearing in the FED, rebuilding a trailer with sleeping quarters for it, fixing the tow truck.....and reworking the above 32 3w with new wheels and tires, front and rear firewall, windows, fuel lines, etc, etc.... to take it out to the USFRA Bonneville Salt Flat Meet. I'm leaving next Friday to go run the Flathead in the 130 class....WHOOO HOOOOO.....the sickness continues. Then when we get back, I'll clean off the salt, switch trailers and bring the FED to the DOTD to test out those taller gears, to see if I can :DGO FASTER:D!!!

Signed,
    "Sick with Flathead Fever:rolleyes:....and with complications"

PS, Steve, I'll go along with anything you want to do, cause "my race is within my self".....and I'm in it for the fun!!!....shoot fire, I have run myself out of a class at DOTD, anyway(I still say that you need a blower class for Flatheads)....hahaha
    And a great big Thanks to the Kontinentals for putting on the Coolest Drags around:D!

10. BLAKE

BLAKE

Personally, I think this is the way to go... Casey's reputation wasn't necessarily of being the fastest competitor, but more of being the most reliably tenacious (or tenaciously reliable?).

Just my $.02, since Skot has it covered wither way! :D

11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Collin always tried to turn a drag race into an oval track race.

12. kisam

kisam

So true!:)

13. seatex

seatex

Can't wait, gonna' be badass again this year, and that trophy really makes it special. Ya'll done 'ol Casey proud!

14. peddlr

peddlr

OK, Who won the Casey cup? We had to leave kind of early.

15. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Skot Ingram takes it again. In the finals of the Comp Flathead Class he was matched up against Cory Severa driving Jim Jard's stunning super cool, back from the day, FED w/ an injected flatty. And the home made original trailer this dragster arrived in was just as cool as the car itself. It gave me some great ideas for mine. Well back to the race....... this was the highlight of the weekend for me. Its what this event was really put together to try and eventually showcase many years ago. Two nostalgia flathead rails lining up against each other and letting it fly on that track that was established in the early 60's. Man it was the coolest. I hope some one has pic or better yet video of this historic finals run. The two cars were very evenly matched thru the 1/8 mile and Cory was telling me after the race how cool it was to see out of the corner of his eye they were neck and neck, but by the 1/8, Cory started running out of power and Skot w/ his blower was making more and he started to pull away. It was a record run for Skot w/ an ET of 11.7 secs at 114 MPH !!! (bettering what was on the trophy from last year, which was 12.4 secs and 102mph) Congratulation Skot for a job well done and Cory for making it the race of the day.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  16. rebelrat

rebelrat

Congrats Skots

17. Biggy

Biggy
    from Texas

18. kisam

kisam

Congrats Skotz! Your The Man!

19. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Cool Pic.
    Way to go Skot.
    Love that Trophy.

20. Lugnut II

Lugnut II

Nice job!....Congratulations!!!!!

Car looks great.................:D

21. BLAKE

BLAKE

22. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Congrats Skot. I'm coming for you next year.

23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Way to go Skot.
    You gonna have that extra 18 MPH figured out for next year?;)

24. Kettleman

Kettleman

Way to go Skot! :D

25. WOW, what a day....again!!!!(it was sooo crazy switching mindset and cars from last weeks Bonneville Salt Flats runs in the coupe to Flathead FED, whew:rolleyes:)......DOTD, my "Favorite Drag Race Day:D".....

Hey guys and girls, Thanks for all the supportive comments and support at the track. As y'all know it has been a whole series of "learning curves" to get the little car to run.....and "it sure is a lot of fun to run"(I still can't believe that "I have an excuse to have put together a Dragster"....haha)

Now as to "you"......Mark......"bring it on.....I'll be looking for you:eek:"....(that is, after you come by and get a block from me to build your engine......this kind of racing is sooo serious:rolleyes:.....hahaha)

And as to Collin.....the Flathead FED is "still" running a set of valves and the blower case that were his:cool:....so "he's still smiling, even though it isn't a "circle track drag race car", like his was

26. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

SKOT , nice run pack it a little harder for next year.

27. My .02 cents(well, maybe a nickle:rolleyes:)

OK....the DOTD was created to let a bunch of "old Hot Rods" come back to life and run down the track......it seems as if there are "more Flatheads" than ever running out there:D.....Sooooo, why were there only 2 of them running in the Regular Flathead Class while there were originally 3 in the Comp Flathead Class???????

Come on guys and girls....it is a LOT of fun taking your ol Hot Rod down the track.....and you "don't have to have some super Hot one to run", shoot fire, the first Flathead engine in my 3w was an old engine that I had in the shed that I had built for the "now orange 5w" years ago.....sure wasn't fast, but it was FUN:D.....and the Day of the Drags was created to be able to have even more FUN with your ride.

If we are to be able to "keep" a Flathead Class, we are going to need to have some cars to run in it:rolleyes:.....duhhhhhh.
    Somebody has to fill in for ol Collin(actually it would take several, cause "nobody" is gonna thrash one that hard anymore:eek:....haha)

So, what do you say?.....is anybody else gonna step up to the plate and "actually" run thier Flathead powered Hot Rod?????......remember, ya don't "have" to thrash them(like I do) to have some crowd pleasing fun(and if you get the "dreaded Flathead Fever" like I've got......all the more fun....Mark, I know you're listening).......OR.....Heaven Forbid, are y'all gonna start bringing out "lawn chairs" and we can have a "regular rod run:rolleyes:".....HAHAHA, that "ought to get you thinking".

WE NEED MORE FLATHEADS TO GO DOWN THE TRACK!!!!!.......
    .......Any Comments?????

28. 3blapcam

3blapcam

"So, what do you say?.....is anybody else gonna step up to the plate and "actually" run thier Flathead powered Hot Rod?????"

If I ever finish it... yeah... I'll be there beating on it as hard, or harder, than the next guy!

Like I've said for the last 4 years... "Next year I'll have my Sedan there!" I'm actually in the process of painting the body now... So things are looking promising!

3blap.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  29. Ahaaaaa........we have "the first of many" Flathead Hot Rodders stepping up:D.....GREAT

How about it?.....I guess that I'll "restir the pot:rolleyes:" again, before next year's DOTD