Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's another goodie from 1965 or 1966 at Kil-Kare in Xenia, Ohio. This is the USAC Transport sponsored # 20 car - a really clean little Ford coupe. I have my usual problem with this one - too dang old to remember the driver. Any help appreciated.

I don't think USAC Transport had anything to do with USAC - I think some trucking company was just using the name. Can anyone enlighten us on that too ? Anyway - Photo of the Day - Enjoy

from The Vegas Oldtimer....

[​IMG]

2. 9310alloy

9310alloy

Warbird , Ramo Stott Bird today @ car show...Extra Kool...What piece of history....Thinking on the ride home about the Feldner / Nichels 1964 chassis bodied as a Charger...I think that is the car Paul destroyed at Milwaukee and than purchased the Hartman car.......
    Mike
    Pic from my Zecol collection
    Zecol Lubid Ford 1960 Norm Nelson USAC Champion

[​IMG]

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, txtom. I couldn't remember the last name of Paul, who played the All-Pro Bull. He was great fun to be around. When we borrowed an eagle mascot's uniform from a southern Indiana high school and put my son in it, the Goodyear people jumped right on it and gave him a vest to wear. He and Paul had a great time acting up out on the track together. My son was still pretty small at the time, and Paul used to put him on his shoulders and skate around on the front straightaway.

4. Warbird7

Warbird7

Mike, it was great to spend time with you and Paul at the show. We have to get together and I'll bring my USAC photo book.

Here is the pic from the Milwaukee program that talks about Feldner's car. I had not heard the claim about it being one of Norm's car until recently when a couple guys mentioned it to me at different times and that what he ran in '73 was one of Norm's old Superbird chassis. The quote in the program below was probably written by Phil Hall.

Re-reading the caption, and thinking about things, it certainly could be that it was one of Norm's much OLDER cars. I had just been assuming that in '73 he replaced the old Coronets with a newer used car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  5. 9310alloy

9310alloy

Warbird7 , The Hartman Dodge that Paul purchased after this crash is the car that they found the extra gas tank ..........

6. 9310alloy

9310alloy

Super nice photos.......Rich Somers Mercury was a ex Bill Stroppe Mercury........

7. stasis096

stasis096
    from Michigan

Does anyone have a photo of the major wreck from the 1960 Sportsman Modified race at Daytona?

Also this really wouldn't be that historic, but does anyone have a high quality picture of Rusty Wallace's flip at Talladega in 1993? I've been looking all over for a good quality picture and haven't been able to find one.
    Thanks

8. DRH556

DRH556

I don't have a photo of either event, but I've seen a post on You-tube of the '60 Permatex wreck & it's amazing that a bunch of drivers DIDN'T get killed in that deal....Trully amazing.

9. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

A different Bowsher...

This says it is Jim Bowsher - obviously driving one of Jack's # 21 cars. Race is at Tri-County in 1971 - Late Model, not ARCA. Looks like they pulled it out of the shop to run it. There's even duct tape holding it together. They probably wanted to run it on dirt THEN put it in the body shop.

How many different Bowshers were there ? I know of four.

The Oldtimer

[​IMG]

10. EllisSpeedway

EllisSpeedway

Been trying to find some old Bluegrass 300 records to see what year he won. I know he drove a #44 and a #55 at Owensboro the same year.

Also found an old shirt of my dad's who used to help build cars Stokey drove and it said "Tri-State Racing Association." Not for sure what this was, but it was probably in the mid'60s. I know they were coupes at the time. You wouldn't happen to remember that Racing Association, would you?

11. Skrayp

Skrayp

I'm not sure Jim would have been old enough to race in 71. It's possible though. There are actually 5 boys. From oldest to youngest its Gary,Jim,Jack "Tony/Bones",Bobby, and Todd. Jack's brother Tom used to race a little back in the day too.

12. Warbird7

Warbird7

Norm Nelson's crew loading Lloyd Ruby's car at Milwaukee 1964. Note the hijacked street barricades being used on the ramps.

[​IMG]

13. Warbird7

Warbird7

Norm in the Superbird, IRP, May 1970.

[​IMG]

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The guy who has almost all the records from the Fairgrounds Motor Speedway says Charlie Greenwell won the first Bluegrass 300 in 1967.

15. EllisSpeedway

EllisSpeedway

Another name from the past. I remember Charlie Greenwell from the KMS, too. Trying to dig up my old photos from Owensboro as I have a lot of from the mid '60s to mid '70s. I never made it up to the Fairgounds in Louisville much, mostly Nashville and Salem, in addition to Ellis and KMS. I'll post photos as soon as I get them together. Believe some go back to late '50s.

Seen some postings about a guy named Slim Watkins from Owenboro that ran in late '40s, early 50's against GC Spencer, etc. A web site in Nashville said he won the first official race at the Fairgrounds in Nashville but haven't seen much on him.

16. Dog427435

Dog427435

17. Dog427435

Dog427435

18. Dog427435

Dog427435

19. Dog427435

Dog427435

20. jcfast66

jcfast66

Vintage Stock Cars, Clayton Motorsports, Brooklyn, IA. Home of the Fly'n Fords. Member of Mississippi Valley Vintage Racecar Assn.

21. lawman

lawman

Gosh !!!!! Are those great pictures or what ? Tom (Tired Old Man)

22. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Another question - This # 87 ran at a Tri-county ARCA race in 1971. Usually Dave Dayton ran # 87, but the roofline of this car says some other driver. Anybody know who was driving ?

Pic o'the day....

Enjoy.

Vegas_oldtimer

[​IMG]

23. Calhoun

Calhoun

Slim didn't win the first race at the Fairgrounds, he won the first stock car race held in Nashville at Cumberland Speedway on 9th Avenue.

They had been holding motorcycle races at Cumberland since just after the war. Two or three Nashville guys who had seen stock cars in the different places around the country where they had been serving came home after their tour and decided they wanted to start running stock cars. They talked to the motorcycle race promoters to see if they could run during intermission.

Stock car racing had already taken off in Owensboro, and those guys heard about the Nashville race. Slim and brother Bobby Watkins came down along with G.C. Spencer and a couple of others and cleaned house.

It didn't take the Nashville guys long to figure things out. After running a couple of years at Cumberland, the weekly racing moved to a track near the foot of the Jefferson Street bridge (the track was known as the Legion Bowl), and in 1958 the paved tracks were built at the Fairgrounds.

Sorry he's upside down, but this is the only picture I have of Slim.

[​IMG]

24. DDRE

DDRE
    from Michigan

jcfast66 is there any way I could get more pictures and info on the #9 Mustang. my e-mail is [email protected] Thanks

25. jcfast66

jcfast66

I will email you several pictures that I have . We built the car new 4-5 years ago , send you what I have. JC

26. EllisSpeedway

EllisSpeedway

Really appreciate this.....I've just been curious. I have some pics of coupes that Stokey drove, along with stuff shortly after that but don't know too much about the tracks that they ran on in the time. Knew of GC Spencer and Slim Watkins but hadn't seen much in the way of pics.

I believe they had a Tri-State Racing Association that Stokey ran in but not for sure what tracks they ran on. Know they had a track at the Ohio County Fairgrounds and saw where someone had mentioned Legion Park in Owensboro but not for sure. Just been letting my curiosity getting the best of me.....

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Believe me Ellis, I understand. I'm big on history. I plan to spend most of this winter going through a LOT of photos that Andy Vertrees brought me. I got some of them done last year, but he didn't bring them until February. Quite a few from Whitesville, I think.

28. k9racer

k9racer

Jerry Goodwin a well known racer in the south east passed away this week.

29. lawman

lawman

Indyjohn,Hope you have more from The Louisville Fairgrounds.As a "punk"
    teen I lived and breathed that place.Tom (Tired Old man)

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Lawman, take a look at my Facebook page for some ASA and ARCA pics back in the day, and the Fairgrounds Facebook page has a lot of photos so far.