Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hugh, Yep the Quad4 motors are strictly stock and they run on ethenol. Denny Z

oops how did I spell eathenol....ha ha

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

If I can get there next year we'll hook up and make it three cars!

3. mattarntzen

mattarntzen
    from Minnesota

what kind is the first picture? just want to know cause my grandpa used to work on that body style of sprint cars. thanks.

4. BFB

BFB
    from Wisconsin

I'd really like to see more of this car.

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Are they they stock injected and running 100% ethanol or is it E-85?

6. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

28dreyer, I thought they were stock injected and running 100% ethanol.......but now that you ask I'm not sure. I will see Skip Thursday night and ask him and let you know. Denny Z

7. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Jim Maguire told Denny, "If you can do this I sure can"
    [​IMG]

Hey Denny, It's a long, long way from Norwood Arena.
    http://www.norwoodarena.com/Home/Home.html

8. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Yea and even longer from Harvey Tattersall's Riverside Park where I started. Denny Z

9. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Anyone know if there are any other running/restored McDowell overhead racing engines out there, now? This engine was found as being used in a modified two-man Miller race car. This car is one of my Dad's prettiest. Has all the best Class A stuff. Original Dayton racing wire wheels hubs, original Hartford friction shocks, and this super rare McDowell, engine, that cost us about $6 Gs to completely overhaul, (*after the original purchase price). Engine Might have been done by pre-war racing guru Ralph Malamud who had soe of the best pre-war cars & drivers, when they were "current" racers. He was as meticulous and as much a perfectionist, as my Dad. Still have the car in my climate controlled collection garage, with some other vintage racers. Since we are hoping o move to a smaller home near the kids and grandkids, might have to sell it to a good new home. My older son is getting another favorite, theOriginal, restored, steel-bodied, Granite State Spl that won the new England Championship, before the war and made a couple of its drivers pretty famous. Won't have the climate controlled extra race car garage/collection room for five cars, after that. Was thinking about parting with the McDowell and "googled" it without finding anything, except one version for the model T conversion.

Attached Files:

10. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Doug, I have been trying to contact Carl Miller at 443-513-4456 and no luck. Denny Z

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

CTtoPA... MORE MORE MORE!!!

12. Buildy

Buildy

Nothing like him waving those photos in front of us and then leaving us waiting to hear the rest of the story-LOL

13. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Still waiting on Bob(hopkins1) or Joe(wynns #1). It was originally a Trevis copy of a Watson. Ran as the Federal Engineering car. That's the beginning of the story(as I know it). I'll get more pictures when I get a chance!

14. the shadow

the shadow

anyone got any info on a steering box maker called PeeWee Elerbach out of MO?
    I icked up a bare alum steering box with no intenals, I was told it used franklin steering parts for internals? what era was this case used, 1970's?
    Paul

15. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Try googling Erlbacher steering and see what you get.

Also Erlbacher Gear in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  16. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

And I believe Tom Galan was the announcer.

17. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, I am still looking for any one who can get me in contact with Steve Kolter from PA. Im looking to buy some photos from him.If any one can help I would be greatfull !!!!!!! thanks, Tom ([email protected] )

18. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I see him frequently at Sam's Club in Reading PA, but I don't have his number. Try doing a Super Pages phone search, but you have to spell his name correctly....KOLETAR. :D

19. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

CT/PA The car you are looking at is NOT a real roadster. Ron Trevis built the frame in 2008. We used some left over body parts and other pieces from the Federal Eng. project. We also did not copy the Yunick car to any great detail. Lots of things are in differant places. The hood will have PENN TIRE CO.,Bedford Pa. on it.

20. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

That's what I was waiting for Bob! Thanks!

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I just received word that the Don Smith collection is going to be open to the public one day only - Saturday, October 16. Also heard Don's health isn't real good.

22. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Was lucky to get to see Don's collection several years ago. FANTASTIC!
    I will see if I can make it again on the 16th...

ZOOOM

23. baldtireman

baldtireman

How close to the car centerline is the driver seated?

24. baldtireman

baldtireman

Looks real to me. Ron has done some really good repair work on my dinged up sprinters through the years. Nice guy. very accommodating, best of all,recognizes a racers ability to pay! Glad to see him involved in this project. Now,if someone could convince him to re-create his dad's Westover Circle3 sprint roadster............. Hmmmmmmmmm!!! John S.:D

25. Buildy

Buildy

One thing I`ll venture to say,this car won`t be just any run of the mill replica, with the craftsmen involved!

Ron Trevis and Wynn`s 1-thumbs up!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  26. Those nice people at Kirkey put a hole just where it was needed......dont known how comfortable this will be....................another problem solver on the way!

Attached Files:

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Is that your shifter? or are you just happy to see me?:D ....Maybe something like this would work:

Attached Files:

28. Rootie K.......that is cool,and my starting point.........thanks

29. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Was hoping you weren't serious...:eek:

30. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Nonsense! I have a few little Sprint car TOYS with lil drivers in them.. and thats how they stay in the car too... Ya just "Snap" them down on a pin in the seat like that.

Works great! :D:D:D