Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets start up that east coast car club history thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rivet, Jul 21, 2006.

1. jpm49c

jpm49c

This was my Dad's add in 1955. Thanks for any info! John

Attached Files:

2. jpm49c

jpm49c

Here's a picture of Jimmy Lynch's Bantan in 1961 . He was a member of The Thundering Turtles of Dumont. You can see the logo on the left rear corner of the back of his car. Anyone have any info on this club? Thanks, John

Attached Files:

3. jpm49c

jpm49c

A 1957 picture of Strokers Hot Rod Club dragster driven by Billy Bernhard after winning the Long Island regional Championship at Westhampton drag strip

Attached Files:

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Anyone know anything about this one?

Attached Files:

5. No Thundering Turtles (well other than the one from Virginia) in my collection. I do have this pattern from Dumont though:

Attached Files:

6. rlcowboy40

rlcowboy40
    from mass.

Ring reckers in amesbury mass. 1955-2010 cam snappers in newburyport,mass 1952-2010

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

While reading the article about this cool little car I noticed it has 4 exhaust pipes. Did 50 Merc flathead engines have 4 exhaust ports? I'm not that familiar with FHs but thought they had 3.

8. jpm49c

jpm49c

Here's the second part of that story. No pictures of the engine.

Attached Files:

9. jpm49c

jpm49c

This article was the opening of Westhampton by the Long Island Hot Rod Association in 1956. Clubs mentioned are Strokers and Valley Stream Pacers.
    John

Attached Files:

10. jpm49c

jpm49c

Part,2

Attached Files:

11. jpm49c

jpm49c

Part, 3

Attached Files:

12. jpm49c

jpm49c

This next article is from 1959 at Montgomery N.Y. Drag Strip and mentions the Garden State Hot Rod Association

Attached Files:

13. jpm49c

jpm49c

Part, 3

Attached Files:

14. jpm49c

jpm49c

part# 2

Attached Files:

15. So I checked with my buddy who is from Rockville and knew Gene very well and here's what he told me:

"Hiya; I've got nothing in the archives that really answers the question of Gene actually belonging to a club, but according to the early Rockville gearheads I've asked, Gene was friends with most of the guys. I do know that his '35 Ford 5-window was painted by a member of the Choppers, and a few of the Cams members helped him install the later flathead.
    One of the first gigs he and his local band did was at a local hall and was sponsored by the Nite-Winders.
    Incidentally, the '35 Coupe was the group's only means of transportation, and Gene had some great stories of how they fit 5 guys, 2 guitars, a sax, complete drum set, amps, speakers, etc. in that car. Unfortunately, no photos exist...
    Gene eventually sold the car to someone in Manchester for $200. Jimmy Darby had his first car, a '35 5-window stashed for years upstairs in the club. After his passing, I happened to notice that the hood for it was maroon/red. I took pictures of it and showed them to Gene, but the car was stripped out so much that there were no tell-tale signs other than the hood. All of the interior and drive train was long gone.
    So that's the best info I can give 'ya."

16. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

A friend of mine found minutes from the Pennsylvaina Timing Assoc. Incorporated in October 22, 1954. These are the clubs listed at that time.

Axle Snappers Custom Club Ephrata, Pa.
    Bandit's Rod & custom Club Temple, Pa
    Bucks County Speed & Safty Club Bristol, Pa
    Caster Cambers Phila., Pa
    Century Brakers Phila., Pa
    Choppers Pittsburg, Pa
    Continental Streaks Bristol, P
    Crusin' Crusaders Pottstown, Pa
    Dual Devils Pittsburg,Pa
    Eastern Cam Twirlers Phila., Pa
    Eastern Custom Car Assoc. Reading Pa
    Gents Roadster Assoc. York, Pa
    Knight Rodders Phonixville, Pa
    Lancaster Cam Jammers Lancaster, Pa
    Lehigh Valley Timing Assoc. Allentown, Pa
    Lighting Rods Norristown, Pa
    Main Line Headers Berwyn, Pa
    Mill Runners Pittsburg, Pa
    Northeast Traction Breakers Phila., Pa
    Piston Pushers Mechanicsburg, Pa
    Pittsburg Pacers Phittsbugr, Pa
    Push Rods Phila., Pa
    Road Barons Phila., Pa
    Road Eagles Newtown Sq.,Pa
    Road Knights Boyertown, Pa
    Road Kings Carlise, Pa
    Road Runners Lansdale, Pa
    Road Saints Swissvale, Pa
    Rod Benders Newville, Pa
    Roxbrough Ridge Runners Phila., Pa
    Royal Coachmen Yeadon, Pa
    Saints of 563 Telford, Pa
    Southwestern Road Rams Phila., Pa
    Suburban Hot Rod Council Springfield, Pa
    Suburban Spinners Drexel ill, Pa
    Superchargers Soudertown, Pa
    Torques Pittsburg, Pa
    Williamsport Road Knights Williamsport, Pa

I was a member of the LVTA and remember going to meetings in Harrisburg when we got the Drag Strip in Allentown, Pa at thr Convair Airport. We still meet for breakfest once a month and hold meetings 4 times a year.

Interseting reading.

32FordWoody likes this.
  17. 63dan63

63dan63

I would love to see some pics of those East Coast, 60s, Model As with motorcycle fenders.

No particular reason ...

Thanks.

18. bobbyd08

bobbyd08
    from md

Anyone have any info or remember the "Power Packs, Riverdale Md"

Bobbyd

19. jpm49c

jpm49c

NO-MADS Car Club. In 1957 from around Alston , Mass . New England Hot Rod Council.

Attached Files:

20. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Could it have been Power Paks? I have this photo on our website .....

[​IMG]

21. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This plaque looks to have the same graphic and the person who sent it said they were based in Newton ....

[​IMG]

Not sure if that's around Alston like the article says. Did anyone take a good look at the photo of their 144 MPH dragster? Don't think I've ever seen one with a roll bar in front of the driver.

22. Tindall

Tindall

anybody remember a 36 roadster...with "Crazy Little Humphrey" lettered across the top of the door. illegadly from the Perth-Amboy NJ area in the late 50's?

23. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I was one of the original founding members of the OLEAN ,NY STREET MASTERS club.South of Buffalo.We started it in 73.Frank Jester kept it together all these years,still going and putting on there annual show.Boy those were the days.

24. F&J

F&J

So, from your post, was Jimmy's 35 said to be Gene's car, or they were just wondering if it was? It was in good condition, but was gray primer without interior as I recall.

There was another street driven 35 5w coupe in the Rockville area, but in the later 60s, owned by the late John (Flower) Gottier. It was pale lime green metallic with a 392 Hemi. A wrist pin ruined a cylinder wall and then John started to put in the drivetrain from his new 68/69 383 roadrunner that he had wrecked. I don't think the 35 was ever finished with the new motor, but some years later, a Tyrod member ended up with it (Ray D). I don't know where or when John bought it, and it would be a long shot to wonder it was Gene's.

Geez, come to think of it, I'm sure Ralph L. (Tyrods) had a 35 coupe as well, but I don't recall if he still owned it when he ended up in Ct and joined the Tyrods.

Brian F. is the unofficial club historian, so if he does not know, nobody does. He knew Gene quite well I believe. I am guessing that's who is quoted, above.

25. Correct guess. Brian and Gene were very close friends - like Gene was godfather to one of his kids.

26. It is the same club and I believe they were based in Newton.One of the characteristics of the club was all of the race cars had the number 69 on them with a fraction after it.The three members of the club I recall were the Sharrigan(Sharrigian actually)brothers;Mudd and Shag and Paul Fitzgerald who owned the Deuce roadster with the 37 truck grille that was recently restored.
    Shag passed away a few years ago(he had a green right hand drive Bentley I re-striped for him about 30 years ago)and his brother Mudd is a custom knifemaker living in Wiscasset Maine. Paul Fitzgerald I believe is retired from Sikorsky Aircraft but not sure where he is now.

Paul Aldrich from the Ty-Rods was gathering information for a book on New England not rod clubs awhile back;I don't know if he ever finished it or not.I don't have his contact info but I'm sure the club knows how to get hold of him.

27. jpm49c:
    Great to see the article about the East's Top Rods. Thanks for posting it. I have other photos from that meet that was covered in the article.

My dad, George Snizek, started the Valley Stream Pacers Hot Rod Club in 1955 in the basement of his parent's house. The club later evolved into Pacers Auto, Inc. which was best known for their white 23T altered named the Tasmanian Devil and their numerous Top Fuel dragsters.

28. bobbyd08

bobbyd08
    from md

That's the one. Anyone have any info about the club.:confused:
    Bobbyd

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

yes the book was finish and A second one with updates too. it's called Cool cars with square roll bars. great books!!

30. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Anybody remember LANCERS out of the PLYMOUTH MASS area, we used to have the huge cruise night out at CORDAGE PARK , in the late 80s to early 90s,