Register now to get rid of these ads!

GMC Supercharger on a Y Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Berzerk, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Berzerk

Berzerk

I'm looking for any information or pictures of a GMC Style Supercharger on a Y block. I know Crager made an intake for the Y Block for I believe a 4-71?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Berzerk

Berzerk

Before someone tells me to do it, I have already been over to see Steve at Uncommon Engineering and he is about a year out to even start building me an engine. He really does not want to build just a supercharger intake, only a turn key thumper engine.

I have already started assembling the parts for him to start in a year, but who knows what could happen between now and then.

3. I know for certain that Cragar made setups for 3-71 on a Y-block, 'cuz about a decade ago I couldn't come up with the bucks to buy a complete setup (for my '59 Ford wagon) that I had found!!!

that said, Dyers has been adapting 4 bbl manifolds to blower manifolds for many moons for the engines that cast blower intakes couldn't be had. You, or any competent fabricator, could accomplish the same task.

same with the drive components, a crank hub and custom snout length can be fabbed or adapted. Then it's just pulleys and a belt.

4. Well, shit. It worked when I posted it. :rolleyes:

To the OP: Go to Search; then Advanced Search; type in "y block blower" under keywords, and "Homespun91" under search by user name. Not all the threads are pertinent, but many are, and there are a couple of links as well as pictures.

Tim, you remember the guy who was adapting a SBC B&M 177 to a Y block? About 8-9 years ago, from Canada IIRC...I think he was murdered when the car was getting close to completion. The story of the conversion was in Y Block Magazine.

I wish Mummert would cast up a 4-71 or 6-71 manifold, prolly never happen though. While I'm dreaming, a Hilborn or Algon would be nice too.

5. Berzerk

Berzerk

Am I crazy to think about taking a Blue Thunder intake, milling off the top, welding a milled base plate for a 4-71...

I'm just trying to think out of the box...

6. that's the ticket! Although, I'd think an old tri power or dual quad in questionable condition would be less $$ than the Blue Thunder. I've had two Edelbrock tri powers for under $200 each. Could do it to a stock iron intake too.

7. Vendome

Vendome

Some years ago there was a homemade blower manifold, I believe on eBay, which used an iron manifold (Holley type) and then a plate bolted to the top to fit a 4-71. It looked decent but there was no provision for a pop-off. Something to think about.

8. It's quite doable...as a matter of fact, that's how Dyer's did many of their conversions. Even today a number of blower companies will take a special cast base plate and weld it to an Offy 2x4 intake, since Offy covers many of the more "obscure" engines, i.e. non-SBCs. Offy still makes many of these in both single-plane & two-plane versions, and though they don't flow very well as a rule, the blower tends to crutch that problem.

My issue with it, if anything, is that the blower usually sits so damn high...it just looks weird to me.

9. budd

budd

who sells a cast iron 4-71 plate only? i have a couple 2bbl intakes and one small 4bbl intake

10. I think your best bet is to obtain the correct base 4-71 gasket as a pattern and make one. I don't know of one available offhand.

11. No. I missed that, only started reading YBM about five years ago. I'm sure it's doable I have thought of this a few times, I've certainlly adapted many other SBC parts to use with a Y. I have a 4-53 blower that I made plates for and adapted to a B manifold but that one got put on the back burrner for other projects. Besides I think the 53 series blower is lacking in some areas for this aplication, like sealed bearings.

I've seen a modified B intake with a plate for a 4-71 on eBay before and it did have a pop-out valve, I think a guy in Australia was selling it. Nice work for what I could see but a bit on the pricey side, as most superchargers for Ys are. :rolleyes:

12. I'll see if I can find the article this weekend.

I remember that intake...like $500, or somewhere close.

I've been staring at a friend's Eaton SuperCoupe blower lately...

13. This talk interests me, I want to put a blower (4-71) on the 322 in the FED someday although for now the class I run it in is N/A only.

14. Berzerk

Berzerk

I'm wanting to build a supercharged Y Block for a Fiat Altered I am wanting to build. I just want one to have one and run for bracket racing here locally.

I thought about the Blue Thunder strictly for it's flow, but I do have a dual quad eldlebrock that I would use for the project.

I have an issue with the height also, I think it just looks stupid.

I have bought a couple of junk 4/71's to start playing with for set-up.

This is going to be my winter project...

15. budd

budd

anyone think theres a market if i were to have a few plates cast, iron and aluminum, anyone want to have a little input, thickness, pop off valve? what about a pop off valve that was stand alone, say 1-1/2" round, use a hole saw and cut a hole in a runner and just weld the valve in, maybe two?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  16. 117harv

117harv

A stock intake has a slope in the carb mounting surface to make the carb sit level. If one was to make a plate to mount to it and the blower he would have to do some decent measurements to end up square to the crank.

I have been contemplating this setup for awhile and i think this may be the easiest route. Fab a plenum to the blower to be used i.e. length, width and thick enough for the intake runners to be attached. Set the blower with the newly fabbed plenum, aluminum or steel bolted to it on top of the block where the valley pan would be, as this area of the block is machined and square to the block. Shim the unit up to the desired height and fore to aft for dist. clearance. Bolt some custom water jetted or other method cut 3/8 inch thick intake flanges to the heads and connect from them to the plenum with square or round tubing, weld up and there you have a custom one off intake. Doing it this way you can set the height to whatever you want and the actual engine becomes the jig fixture.

17. budd

budd

the question i have is where to have the blower sitting, fore and aft? how does one decide this? buy your drives first?

18. Berzerk

Berzerk

The other idea I had was:

I have a six deuce intake that I copied the intake flanges from. I thought I would have some intake flanges water jetted to say 2"-3" thick.

Then cut a valley pan to fit. Mill the botom of the intake flanges to match the angle of the valley pan and weld on a plate. Mill the top of the intake flanges to level with the crank. Weld a plate to the top of the intake flanges that matches the base of a 4/71. This could even be milled to for flow improvment and with a lip to incorporate a blowoff valve(s).

My thinking is you would bolt the "base plate" to the heads then bolt the supercharger to the baseplate.

I'm not a machiniest, but I have a lot of friends who are and they think it is possible.

You guys have any thoughts?

19. budd

budd

if i had a 3" thick piece of aluminum i know i could just mill an intake, and if you had a friend with a CNC mill you would have a side business.

20. 117harv

117harv

Blower position is really up to the builder/designer, but closer to the front of the crank would put less stress on the drive snout and or bearings being that they would be shorter. But i also think that having it centered between both heads would be bettter for air flow, but this can't allways happen as distributor clearance is a problem in most cases. I have seen fords with crab top dist. caps for clearance, or if someone was to build a custom intake for the lager blowers he could build the intake taller so the blower would be centered and dist. clearance wouldn't be a prob.

21. Tedd

Tedd

22. What can we say Ted! You always have an answer. lol

23. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

O.K., beautiful engine, Ted, its great to see the Y-Block kicking some butt, my question is this, I would like to supercharge an engine, (someday), LOL, I can't afford one of the after market Paxton units or what have you, I want to have the hood closed, I have thought about this for a while and picked up a turbo about a year ago, (Scrap yard fodder, five bucks, nice condition), we will eliminate the exhaust side, yeah, I know what you are thinking, the floating center bearing, (bushing), but I think this would work, in place of the exhaust impeller we install, (adapt), a 2 to 1, possibly 3 to 1 chain set up.

24. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

A few more thoughts, if we let the turbo shaft keep floating by the use of a splined end and corresponding female splined gear and support bearing for the gear, this would keep friction down, my idea for a "gear box"; saw the front of an engine block, aluminum would be better and by cutting it just right, adding bearings and making a cover, the original front cover would probably work, I think its doable and would be very economical to build, if you guys think this is too off the wall, I'll start another thread, BUT, it would go on a Y-Block and it is about a blower!! Thank you very much!!! LOL!!

25. Interesting thread.I have to adapt an M90 blower to a 270 hemi. All I have is a blower and a two barrel manifold. I think i can do it by milling the carb flange flat and bolting a 3/4 " aluminum plate to it. I can rework the opening in the monifold to get it decent I think. It s a for an old friend just in case you think I am off on another project. I need to get the plate horizontal. That is my biggest goal.
    A Y block Ford? Many of the Ford Marine engines of Y block design had a set of side draft Y series Carter 1 barrels. Everytime I look at one and I have seen a couple even this year I think it would be good for a Potvin Style front drive blower set up. Now that would be traditional! Run the two blower pipes to the two carb holes . Put a pair of 4 barrels out front on the blower. A wet blower runs a bit cooler anyway.
    Don

26. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Don, I always thought those front mount set-ups looked darn cool, but didn't they have a tendency to blow, because fuel would puddle in the tubes, still a trick looking set up! By the way I tried your "Open Sez Me" automatic door trick, you're right, that is fun!! ; )

27. Could be.I was a meer child when they were popular but I thought a dragmaster chassis with a potvin drive was about the coolest looking thing on the planet. It took me quite a while to get used to top mounted blowers. Like a Nun in high heels with fishnet stockings it just never looked right. I wonder does anybody still run them?
    Don

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Mike. Most of the fuel is injected at the ports. But there is fuel in the tubes. Just need a few blow plates to save the manifold. The other thing i was thinking about is the turbo conversion. Better get a really big compressor. Turbod often turn in the 100,000+ rpm range I am told. You running it at 3 to 1 might put you closer to 15,000. Not much boost there. Doug Robertson of Horsepower Engineering makes a gear box adapter to drive a compressor from a turbo at turbo speeds. It works good for him at Bonneville. Don't know anything else about it. I have a turbo from a 8:92 Detroit and also a Mack Econodine turbo. Both big. In case you decide to go though with that project.